PDA

View Full Version : Custom Dictionary Editor

Mr Rough
10-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I would love the ability to see the custom dictionary and the ability to add, remove and possibly edit current words.

jmarkh10
10-04-2010, 7:23 AM
I agree. I often have times where I enter a single-use novel word, so I certainly don't want to keep it if it is going to block other words.

At the same time, there are plenty of words in the default dictionary that get in the way of words I would use more often. I swype "nap" a lot, but "bap" ('a small biscuit' apparently) gets in the way. I will never consume a bap, or, if I do, I will never call it that.

HeadMelter
12-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't need to see "dur" and "dir" when I'm trying to type "for." Why can't I remove those possibilities?

Mr Rough
12-18-2010, 5:47 PM
I don't need to see "dur" and "dir" when I'm trying to type "for." Why can't I remove those possibilities?

I just came back to see if there have been any comments. This is the spirit of what I mean.

I and many get the typos or words from when you swype "try" and then hit back space and type in "ied<space>" to make the word "tried." The word "ied" gets added, or the typos of "ia" instead of "is" etc.

An option to prevent ALL words from being added would be great.

TommyArnold
12-20-2010, 6:45 PM
I agree! I would love to have this feature. I consistently have to fight against typos by doing the same thing. I use "rite" a lot, and instead it is always replaced with "rire" i don't know if i typed it in manually wrong once and didn't notice. But the ability to edit the custom dictionary would be wonderful!

.walda.
12-21-2010, 3:47 AM
This is a musthave in my opinion.

Dont need to be beautiful, just functionally! :)

Biophil
12-21-2010, 1:17 PM
removing words is already possible: swype the word you're fighting against, highlight it and tap the option key.. read the tips, guys ;)

MysticCobra
12-22-2010, 5:29 AM
If that worked, that'd be great. Unfortunately, I've got a contact named "Gerty", and every time I try to enter the word "get", it comes out "gerty". No matter how many times I try to delete "gerty" from my dictionary, it doesn't get deleted. (I thought this was a well-known issue that was going to be addressed, but the December beta has the same behavior.)

I agree with the earlier poster that when I first started using Swype back around June, it had almost flawless accuracy. Succeeding versions have varied in accuracy, but none has been as accurate as that version I was using in June, and lack of user control over the dictionary has hamstrung end users like me from being able to work around some of the issues.

chechar
12-30-2010, 5:12 AM
I'd love (and be willing to pay for, even) a dictionaty editor, too

StriderXV
12-30-2010, 11:43 AM
This is a necessity. I don't know where Swype got some of the words they use, but it keeps choosing words that wither aren't real words or are words that no one would ever use. For example, when I type "know" it keeps putting "knorr" even though I go to the W and don't give any indication that I want two K's, or even one. Shouldn't a good word recognition software simply assume the most common word, or at least include the letters I chose? It happens with other words, too, when I'll slowly go from letter to letter and it will pick a word that has none of those letters, and the correction box just has 8 random words. Is there a "use the letters I actually went to" option that I'm missing? I know I sound angry here, but the point is this: I need to be able to delete words that Swype initially has in the dictionary that aren't real words and it needs to be able to actually recognize the letters that I'm moving my finger to.

Also, highlighting a word and pressing the Swype key only deletes words that you manually added, not ones in the original dictionary.

FYI - I'm using the T-Mobile Vibrant.

GarrisonM011
12-31-2010, 1:04 PM
I agree. they should link it to androids dictionary so if i go to settings>Language and Keyboard>Custom dictionary all my words will show up.

GarrisonM011
12-31-2010, 1:06 PM
removing words is already possible: swype the word you're fighting against, highlight it and tap the option key.. read the tips, guys ;)

yeah. but i like to be able to go in and edit out ALL my mistyped words, not wait till im trying to send a quick text to have it tell me.

Toyeboy
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
The future releases of Swype must have a dictionary editor or I will probably just be too frustrated to keep using it. There are too many nonsense words in swypes dictionary. Just let us delete the words we don't want. Trust me there are 100's of words that I've seen popup that I can guarantee to you that I will NEVER use in my whole lifetime. If you give us the ability to personalize the dictionary somehow, it would improve swype's accuracy and speed because once you delete all this clutter, swype won't have to look through nearly as many possiblities of figuring out what you were trying to type. Odd words like "bertie" "kiev" "jav" "beurre' "col"...etc these words I will never ever ever use in my lifetime so I don't want them popping up.

Toyeboy
02-08-2011, 10:26 AM

You can NOT use this method to delete words in Swype's dictionary...you cannot delete words in swype's dictionary. This is what I want, I hate seeing all of these crazy words i've never even heard of come up as suggestions.

jasher
02-08-2011, 3:13 PM
No matter how many times I try to delete [x] from my dictionary, it doesn't get deleted. (I thought this was a well-known issue that was going to be addressed, but the December beta has the same behavior.) ... lack of user control over the dictionary has hamstrung end users like me from being able to work around some of the issues.

Couldn't agree more, and cannot overemphasise how keen I am on powerful dictionary editing.

Moreover, this issue isn't just about dictionary editing, but about configuring how Skype automatically adds (and re-adds) words to the dictionary. My understanding is that words get added all the time, from typing new ones, to contacts, and other messages, etc.

Note also my (slightly long) post in this thread, about Swype getting smarter when it comes to automatically choosing words from said dictionary (or dictionaries) .. http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2656-Learning-Corrections...

Toyeboy
02-09-2011, 9:05 PM
Just wanted to add all of these issues are fixed on slideit...you can delete any words from the dictionary by highlighting the word and press a minus key...also it has faster performance...

mountainbikermark
02-10-2011, 5:33 PM
You can delete words on Ultra Keyboard as well.
I think my favorite non Swype capable feature in SlideIt is phrases. Type or slide the user settable (sp?) acronym and it fills it out. Ex; hagd fills out to have a good day for me.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

christodio
02-14-2011, 3:51 PM
Yes we should definitely be able to edit the words in the default dictionary, and have a custom dictionary in list-form to edit and delete words. And there are many words I'd rarely/never use again, so I think maybe it would be good if tapping the word in the suggestion box adds it to the dictionary, whereas hitting space just leaves it as is.

Also, the ability to append letters after accepting a suggestion without starting a new word would be nice e.g. if I were to input "ad" but intended to put "ads" then tap 'S' afterward, it would become "adso." If I were to add the letter 'S' alone to the dictionary, it would likely be frequently inputted on accident instead of 'A'.

HTC Droid Incredible, Android 2.2

stuff010
08-04-2011, 11:24 AM
There really does need to be a feature to remove words from the default dictionary. I hate trying to do " 's " on a word and it says "nds" If you could remove any word from the dictionary in the same fashion that added words are removed, it would be beyond great.

Imogen123
08-12-2011, 8:27 PM
I agree. I often have moments when I return a novel in one word, so I certainly do not want to keep it, if it comes to blocking of other words.

While there are many words in a dictionary that comes standard in the way of words I would use more often. I Swype "nap" a lot, but "BAP" ("a biscuit" apparently) is in the order. I would never eat a BaP, or if I do, I would never call it that.

patheimata
08-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Anyone ever try and swype an " 's " and get "nds" instead? Happens nearly every time I try to do 's. I can't tell you how badly I want to delete nds from the dictionary...
Otherwise, love it.

GrimGriz
08-14-2011, 5:30 AM
I came to this website just to see if there was a way to do this. If something about your product has users coming to your site looking for fixes or work arounds, it's definitely a feature worth taking notice of.

shenglu
09-28-2011, 11:46 PM
swypes dictionary too much nonsense. As long as we remove, we do not want to. I have a 100, I have seen pop up, I can assure you, I will never in my entire life cycle of use.

francwalter
03-13-2012, 4:24 AM
Yes please, an editor for the dictionary, would be very helpful.
Never heard about slideit, but I will search for it :)
Now!