PDA

View Full Version : Deleting words

mikeynl
10-02-2010, 6:57 AM
Hello, I've tried to delete words from the library by typing them in and double-tapping them, but instead of the option to delete, I get word suggestion to replace the word with. What am I doing wrong?

rob.boehm
10-02-2010, 9:21 PM
If the word selection box comes up, just press the Swype key and you'll get an option to delete.

migr8629505
10-07-2010, 6:22 AM
The problem (at least for me...Motorola Cliq) is that they don't stay deleted. They do when I then retype what I had originally been trying to type, however they always come back. And the dictionary is full of nonsense words now that I never added. They're clearly part of the custom dictionary, as it allows (well, pretends to allow) me to delete them....but I certainly never added them.

Shad0wguy
10-07-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm having a similar problem. I could type something as simple as 'I' and get 'Iii'. I can delete it from the dictionary, but it comes back on reboot.

migr8629505
10-09-2010, 2:49 PM
Hmmm, how often does it reload them? I won't swear to it but I'm pretty sure it doesn't even require a reboot to find them back in the list again.

I hope there are plans to change this. Having contacts names can be very convenient, but my contact list contains people I almost never actually contact, yet I get "doutre" for "for" and "o'dea" for "idea" all the time, and every single time I correct it I get the pop-up telling me that the word I wanted was hidden by the custom word. Annoying to the point of being unusable. There has to be something that can be done about it.

jds

rob.boehm
10-09-2010, 6:16 PM
These words are being restored because Swype is re-adding them from your contact list.

Shad0wguy
10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
That doesn't explain where the swype dictionary is getting Iii from

rob.boehm
10-13-2010, 4:03 PM
Do you have somebody in your contact list, facebook sync, etc... that has "III" at the end of their name?

haykay
10-22-2010, 11:26 PM
If the word selection box comes up, just press the Swype key and you'll get an option to delete.

Ive tried doing this (on my mytouch), but when I hit the swype key when the selection box comes up, all it does is reopen the selection box. No option to delete...
Ive managed to delete things Ive added (and havent had a problem with them coming back), but I want to delete regular words from the dictionary like "eger" (instead of "the") or "sher" (instead of "she").... those words arent typical words Id use (or most people would use), so Im not sure why they keep popping up.

Id like to edit my dictionary but need a little more help :)

haykay
10-22-2010, 11:33 PM
oh, i posted too soon....i found another thread on the next page in this troubleshooting section that answers my question....

"you guys are aware of the problem, but dont have a solution yet".

mikeynl
11-14-2010, 11:19 PM

If I have a word I want to delete a word, the selection box comes up. If I now tap (not hold) the Swype key the selection box disappears for a fraction of a second and comes back. I can never seem to get to the option to delete a word.

I'm using Android 2.1 on a Samsung Galaxy S. By the way, I have been able to delete words before, but I'v tried to delete the word "gina" (which comes up when I try typing "gonna"), but I only get the selection box after I press the Swype key.

mikeynl
12-05-2010, 9:28 AM
AAARGHHH! Still can't delete words. For example every time I try to type "laptop" the word "maputo" (?) comes up. If I double tap the word to select it the word selector comes up, and it stays there if I tap the Swype key. If I hold the Swype key the menu comes up, but I NEVER get the option to delete the word. Any help? I used to love Swype but this is driving me nuts!