PDA

View Full Version : Preferred languages

mikeynl
09-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi there, press-hold on the letter Q works great for switching languages, but I still have to scroll through all the languages. Would it be possible to have an extra setting in the preferences where you can choose your default languages (that's multiple languages). I tend to use just English and Dutch and when I press-hold the letter Q I would just like to see those 2 languages appear. If I'd wanna add another language to this list I could always go to the preferences and set it there.

My old Sony Ericcson used to have the option to switch the unused languages off, and just let you chose between your preferred languages.

PS: Swype is BRILLIANT!

frankbald
03-06-2011, 9:53 AM
Completely agree with you, I miss just one thing from the original android keyboard, the possibility to quickly change language (in the android keyboard you have to slide over the space bar to change language) or to integrate multiple language dictionary at the same time. This problem happens a lot cause I'm italian, but I have many english and spanish speaking friends, so it's alway really annoying writing without automatic dictionary, and it's impossible to go to settings and change language everytime for every message. I hope this advice to be useful for you, good future work,

rob.boehm
03-07-2011, 8:23 PM
This functionality is already a part of swype. Simply swype from the swype key to the Q key to toggle between your two most recent selected languages.

tikitu
03-26-2011, 1:55 AM
@rob.boehm: I just today discovered this feature, and it's great. But... I use three languages regularly.

(If I strictly alternate between them, the one I want is never under swype-q! Not that I do, but you get the idea.)

A config option to select the "active" or "preferred" languages seems like a good idea. Would be awesome if swype-q cycled through that list! Another possibility (short of Mikeynl's idea to only list preferred languages) would be to leave all languages in the list, but sort the "preferred" ones first.

(This post proudly composed with... you guessed it!)

louism
03-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I couldn't agree more. In a country like Belgium (approx. 2 million smartphones), it is impossible to stick to just 2 languages. Having the opportunity to switch between the few preferred ones would be great.

Alternatively to the good suggestions listed above, I could imagine that long pressing the Q letter would pop up the few frequent or preferred languages and end with a "more" button that would then list all others.

Thanks a lot for this great keyboard and keep up the great work :-)

louis
HTC desire z android 2.2

martinhentges
03-28-2011, 8:04 PM
There is no another option to change language and you have to change language from going through menu. So Goto menu then settings then Language and keyboard option.
to change language then select language, to change keyboard style touch input method option, to edit setting in key board goto swype settings menu and etc there was so many option check it.

sejtam
03-29-2011, 9:14 PM
Yeah I think it would be nice to have the top 3 languages directly on some button

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

rob.boehm
04-01-2011, 4:58 PM
I noticed on my previous post that I didn't mention a long press on the Q key will bring up the language choice list. ...and before you ask, yes we know this list is getting a little long with having only 2 install options of English-Spanish and Full. :)