PDA

View Full Version : ESN RESETS: Now in your own hands!

brian.resnik
09-28-2010, 5:26 PM
Good news everybody! We've updated our user control panel on the beta site with 2 highly needed new features:
<a name="ResetDeviceAssociation"></a>
#1 - Reset the device associated with your account If you log in at http://beta.swype.com you'll notice a new box in the lower-left that tells you what type of device is currently associated with your account. Each account can have 2 devices associated at any given time. If you reach your limit of 2, a link will appear that lets you reset your account. NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ONE TIME!!! DON'T WASTE IT!! WE WILL NOT GIVE YOU EXTRA RESETS, PERIOD

NOTE 1 - You'll still need help from us if the device you're trying to use is associated with someone else's account (e.g. you bought your device on craigslist or got a replacement device that used to belong to someone else)

NOTE 2 - If you haven't reached your 2-device limit, the reset link won't show up!

#2 - Changing the email address on your account Log in at http://beta.swype.com and you can change the email address associated with your account. It's pretty freakin' simple. If you've lost access to your old email address AND forgotten your password, well, you're SOL and you'll hafta wait until we reopen the beta (though you can still use your old account info to log in to the downloader).

Hope these new features help everyone get better service! Enjoy!

bradkenny
09-28-2010, 7:14 PM
And if we haven't reached our two device limit? Why are you making this so difficult? The reset link isn't there and I just want to use the software. This almost isn't worth the frustration. I know a lot of people are irritated, why can't you make this more user download/install friendly?

blackbeard
09-28-2010, 11:17 PM
I also am not given the option, and am still left with no way to use swype after the 2.2.1 update was pushed to my phone OTA yesterday. Have posted all details in "The ID of the Phone does not match..." forum thread.

Each account can have 2 devices associated at any given time.

Additionally, can someone please tell me how it is possible to set up a 2nd device on my account as per the above statement (and actually be able to use swype on both phones at the same time). When I go to box in the lower-left, it indicates that my "Active Phone" is my N1, and the only options I have below that are "REMOVE THE PHONE LISTED ABOVE FROM MY ACCOUT" and "No thanks, Back to the account page". I'd love to be able to associate my 2nd phone (HTC Legend) with my beta account and take advantage of using swype on it as well, but the option I'm given seems to indicate it will remove my N1 from the account.

brian.resnik
09-29-2010, 3:42 AM
Sorry folks, I guess I wasn't clear. Here's a complete breakdown of how the system works.

If you have 0 or 1 devices associated with your account you WILL NOT see the ESN reset link. Your page will look something like this:
http://imgur.com/ylgCa.png (http://imgur.com/ylgCa.png)

If you have 2 devices associated with your account you will see the ESN reset link. It will look something like this:
http://imgur.com/0rdeW.png (http://imgur.com/0rdeW.png)

If you have used your ESN reset already and have once again reached your maximum limit, your page will look something like this:
http://imgur.com/XfioN.png (http://imgur.com/XfioN.png)

The wording may seem a little ambiguous, but we've done that on purpose. In reality, you should only ever have 1 device associated with your account. We allow 2 only to cover cases where people get a replacement device or have a spouse/family member/extra device they would like to use Swype on.

If you are seeing the "ID does not match your registration" error but DO NOT see the ESN reset link, this means your device is likely associated with another account. Post in the "ID does not match" sticky thread with all the requested information, we'll check your logs, have you submit a trouble-ticket and once we've double-checked everything, we'll drop your ESN from the other account. I know this is a pain, but obviously we can't just go around letting people drop any ESN they want from our database. Thanks for your understanding.

I know a lot of people are irritated, why can't you make this more user download/install friendly?

Now that this new user-admin backend is done, my next task is to fix the installer which should resolve the vast majority of installation problems. Our primary task to convert the installer from an application to a service, in order to prevent the installer from getting prematurely killed by the system task scheduler. As far as these ESN issues are concerned, there's really not much we can do about it. We are contractually obligated to make sure, to the best of our ability, that BETA downloads are limited ONLY to active beta testers. If anybody could download Swype for free, Samsung would be pretty pissed off that they're paying us for it to be on all the new Galaxy S phones, now wouldn't they? :) We're looking at alternative authentication methods in the future (instead of tying it to your device's ESN number), but right now we don't have the man-power to devote to creating a new beta installation method. It's on our to-do list, and it's my job to find ways to get these beta issues taken care of. I'll continue to do the best I can

esff59
09-29-2010, 6:21 AM
Under phone info mine says 'No Swype installed! Get it! Step-by-step install details!' However when I download the installer onto my phone and put in my name and password, i get the message "the id of this phone does not match the one registered with swype. I submitted my information and logs on the other thread, including this:

09-28 14:16:41.201 D/SwypeInstaller( 1272): Got improper ESN error logging into server

Gvazquez02
10-04-2010, 7:05 PM
I see that no one has responded here and I too am getting the same message as esff59. Did anyone respond elsewhere?

brian.resnik
10-07-2010, 1:30 AM
Sorry for the confusion, folks. If you're still seeing that error, you'll need to read the instructions in this thread: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1353-NEW-The-ID-of-the-Phone-doesn-t-match-your-registration.

hebetude
10-19-2010, 6:52 AM
Your software is broken, I'm not using my one time only ESN reset because swype doesn't recognize Android 2.2. I have not switched phones, I'm not switching phones. I don't know how many times Swype has stopped working and I was told to redownload it again. I'm glad you guys are super concerned with security, but it is to the detriment of your software.

I was already tired of Swype not working every couple weeks, now you want me to open ticket to fix... no that is too simple. Now I have to get permission to open a ticket to reset my ESN because I upgraded Android.

Why would I ever pay for this software? You treat your customers like criminals.

http://pastebin.com/Jqd3Q0mX

brian.resnik
10-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Your software is broken, I'm not using my one time only ESN reset because swype doesn't recognize Android 2.2. I have not switched phones, I'm not switching phones. I don't know how many times Swype has stopped working and I was told to redownload it again. I'm glad you guys are super concerned with security, but it is to the detriment of your software.

I was already tired of Swype not working every couple weeks, now you want me to open ticket to fix... no that is too simple. Now I have to get permission to open a ticket to reset my ESN because I upgraded Android.

Why would I ever pay for this software? You treat your customers like criminals.

http://pastebin.com/Jqd3Q0mX

I'm sorry you're having such trouble. Please remember that the software you're using is a BETA. To be blunt, we don't release the BETA for your benefit, we release it for ours. Your struggle and feedback results in a better product in the end. That's what a beta is. If you're not interested in struggling through bugs and installation problems, please don't participate in the BETA. That being said, we're preparing an update soon that should fix all of the installation problems users have seen up to this point. You'll still need to reinstall after an OS upgrade (nothing we can do about that...Swype has to do some self-configuration based on your OS, so when that changes, things break), but that process should be about 8000 times smoother.

Thanks for your understanding!

Gvazquez02
11-04-2010, 5:43 PM
Hi Admin,

I discovered what my problem was after a few weeks of frustration and was able to get swype.

My phone when originally was sold to me was refurbished and had someone else's information on it. Including email address of which the phone was registered. Under the identity when seeing this ... after installing swype I asked for someone to change it over at sprint and they did. After updating the swype a few weeks after the original install was when it started to fail.

Well to make the story short, I called sprint and asked them to restore that email and whoever it belonged to back on my phone's identity to see if it worked and boom ! I got swype again. Sucks that it had to be with someone else's email and it's not the original email that you sign onto that I'm talking about, I'm talking about the one that the phone was registered to when I got the swype; but it works.

So in other words I sign on to download it with my email address, but my phone is registered with another email address to someone who I don't know.

I'm not big on directions for send log and stuff but I will try to see if it changes anything.

Spr0ckEt
11-11-2010, 1:58 AM
Under devices, it reads, "Unknown Device!" And I continually get the installation ID error.

brian.resnik
11-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Spr0ckEt: If it's reading "Unknown Device" you won't be able to install Swype. That setting is CRUCIAL, not just for Swype but for your phone in general. Are you using a CDMA device with Airplane Mode turned on? If so, you'll need to turn Airplane Mode OFF and then reboot your device. This will bring the IMEI/MEID back. If you're NOT in Airplane Mode and still see "unknown device" it means there's a problem with your hardware and you'll need to contact your carrier/manufacturer for a replacement.

zafrir
11-14-2010, 5:19 PM
I am a Beta Tester however I have changed phones. I used to have the HTC Evo with Sprint and now I have the HTC Incredible with Verizon. For some reason, it is not allowing me to change my phone on MySwype and when I login to the Swype installer, it says that I am logging in with the incorrect phone. Anyway to reset it so I can install Swype on my incredible? Thanks.

P.S. Administators, my email is the same as what I registered with on the Swype Forums. If you need any info, please PM me. Thank you.

altimit
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
What if the reason we have ran out of devices is because of multiple device exchanges at the carrier due to hardware failures? I'm on my last allowed device and the previous one is being sent back to Sprint.

T_rene
11-26-2010, 2:03 PM
Device Make/Model - Motorola Droid 1
Wireless Carrier - verizon wireless
Android Version - 2.2.1
ROM Version - SS 4.9
Are you using APPS2SD? Yes - Not for Swype
Full text of the error message you are receiving - ID of phone does not match registration on beta.swype.com
Troubleshooting steps: Clear Swype data, Uninstall, delete from SD card, resend invitation, redownload, reboot, kill all non essential tasks/programs, install swype installer
Are you a ROOT user? - YES
LOGCAT - http://pastebin.com/gN7DRxWa

My page at http://beta.swype.com shows the reset link therefore I must be at my limit on devices. Is there a way to remove a device or devices? I would like to have just one device registered. I have had to send in my phone numerous times which is likely the reason I have more than one device.

I am getting the "ID of phone does not match registration on beta.swype.com" error and cannot reinstall but in my log does not say I have an ESN error so I hesitate to try resetting it and use up my one time on something that may have nothing to do with the problem. The thread for this error is closed so I am posting here. My problem does not seem typical of those posted in that thread because of the lack of an ESN or other error in the LOGCAT file. Swype was working on this phone until the recent update but I do not remember if it stopped working after the Swype update or a ROM update.

I have also had the "Swype Installation Failed: The data network experienced a problem. Please try again." error but it is not happening now and the error where Swype was installed and accessible but not swyping - typically a reinstall or update would fix this error.
No task killers, virus protection or firewals installed and about 56k internal memory available before closing everything possible down.

Thank-you for your time and help.

Spr0ckEt
11-27-2010, 5:22 PM
Spr0ckEt: If it's reading "Unknown Device" you won't be able to install Swype. That setting is CRUCIAL, not just for Swype but for your phone in general. Are you using a CDMA device with Airplane Mode turned on? If so, you'll need to turn Airplane Mode OFF and then reboot your device. This will bring the IMEI/MEID back. If you're NOT in Airplane Mode and still see "unknown device" it means there's a problem with your hardware and you'll need to contact your carrier/manufacturer for a replacement.
Ok, this device is number 4 in the line of replacements. When I log in to beta.Swype.com, that's where it shows, "Unknown Device!" How is that a hardware issue on my brand newly refurbished device? What information could I give to Verizon to convince them I need a new device if this is the only issue I'm having?

Thank you for your response.

hoss_450
12-01-2010, 5:56 AM
Same I logged on reset my esn and now im getting "The ID of this phone does not match your reg. Ive unistalled, powercycled turned airplane on and off Help

jacometa
12-02-2010, 6:54 AM
I'm ready to give up on the beta. I'm in Motorola's test group for Android updates and after the last one Swype beta died and I haven't been able to reinstall. I'm getting the "ID of this phone does not match" error. Tried everything to get Swype beta back with no luck.

mzam13
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I've sent emails to everyone I can think of and posted on forums. I continue to get no help, no response to my emails. Keep getting ID of this phone does not match blah blah blah.... There's no reason to have it just as beta for Droid 1 when it comes preinstalled on droid x and many other devices. Please, do us all a favor and make it available in the market! You'll make money I promise. I'd pay for it no problem

cyborg_001
12-04-2010, 7:04 AM
I have a new phone, only ever used 1 before this. Now I get error messages when I try to install swype and no help available on this site and all threads are locked. Please HELP ME!!

Device Make/Model: HTC Desire HD
Wireless Carrier: Vodafone UK
Android Version: 2.2 Froyo with HTC Sense UI
ROM Version: Stock (HTC Sense Overlay)
Are you using APPS2SD?: No
Full text of the error message you are receiving: "Swype Installation Failed: This device is already associated with another account. Please visit the Troubleshooting section at forum.swype.com for help."
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?: Tried reinstallation many times but to no avail obviously. Tried to reset account via Swype Beta account settings but it only shows my older Nexus One as active phone with no option to register/reset another phone. That was the only phone I have ever used before getting this new Desire HD so I don't know why I can't register another device and install Swype???
Are you a ROOT user?: No

LOG: http://pastebin.com/wii7uk5N

KitagawaPowa
12-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes I have 0 or 1 device associated with my account and therefore cannot see the ESN reset link. But I'm getting the error "associated with another device..." . Previously when I had swype I was using my friends account on my device, but it stopped working after the new Android update end of September. So I signed up and now i have my own credentials and I'm getting this error. How do I reset my ESN if I have 0 or 1 device associated? Do I have to file a ticket to reset the ESN?

Thanks in advance! Dying to get Swype back on my phone!!!

If you have 0 or 1 devices associated with your account you WILL NOT see the ESN reset link. Your page will look something like this:
http://imgur.com/ylgCa.png (http://imgur.com/ylgCa.png)

brian.resnik
12-10-2010, 9:22 AM
We've removed the "Associated with another account..." error code from the server. Try again and let me know if it still doesn't work.