PDA

View Full Version : Android 2.2.1 update.. Swype confused

Phat Phreddy
09-28-2010, 4:23 AM
Updated with OTA update to new android 2.2.1 an error came up saying the device ID no longer matched etc and now I cant even get the error back.. Swyping just beeps.

This is the second time in a month swype has stopped working.. First time something about beta registration ran out.. Now this..

Nexus one
AIS Thailand
2.2.1 Froyo

migr12451159
09-28-2010, 5:41 AM
Yup. I've got the same problem and re-installing doesn't fix it. I guess the programmers at Swype aren't keeping up with the new OS revisions

Phat Phreddy
09-28-2010, 5:46 AM
Second time in a couple of weeks swype has failed.. required uninstalls.. re-installs.. redownloading the app.. Etc etc..

None of these times is its swype core functionality thats at fault, its the registration and control system.. When control becomes this intrusive into the general use of a program its useability and desirablity drops off fast !!

cagedether
09-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Same problem here: second time Swype has failed in last 2 weeks. Hopefully this can get resolved soon: txting is soo slow when you can't swype!

cagedether
09-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Manual reinstall after Android update has fixed my issue.

ocsutton
09-28-2010, 4:23 PM
uninstall and reinstall did not work for me. back to stock keyboard for now

Calmcookie
09-28-2010, 4:37 PM
I have a Nexus One and after the OTA to 2.2.1 my Swype stopped working. I could type one letter at a time, just like the Android keyboard, but it wouldn't Swype. I uninstalled Swype, but not the Installer. I ran the Installer again and followed the Installation instructions at https://beta.swype.com/android/welcome/detailed/ and 'Hey presto' it's all working again.

I hope this may help others.

ocsutton
09-29-2010, 6:26 AM
Finally got it working again. I unstalled both the the app and the installer then installed again via the beta invite e-mail. I'm not sure what I did differently as I did this yesterday after the OTA as well but oh well. Its working now.
Not sure why a fix would be different between users but if one doesnt work try another.

chris_overseas
09-29-2010, 2:38 PM
Second time in a couple of weeks swype has failed.. required uninstalls.. re-installs.. redownloading the app.. Etc etc..

None of these times is its swype core functionality thats at fault, its the registration and control system.. When control becomes this intrusive into the general use of a program its useability and desirablity drops off fast !!

Agreed, it's completely ruining an otherwise fantastic product. Here's my rant on the topic:

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1268-Swyping-not-working......&p=7469#post7469

chris_overseas
09-29-2010, 2:51 PM
uninstall and reinstall did not work for me. back to stock keyboard for now

What worked for me, after wasting a very frustrating couple of hours (and a decent chunk of my monthly bandwidth downloading the installer + swype several times) was to disable swype, delete the swype + installer data (in Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications...), uninstall swype + installer, remove all my widgets, reboot, and make sure as little as possible was running. I then ran the installer and it was successful.

Why did I remove the widgets and make sure nothing else was running? Apparently if there isn't enough memory Android can kill off the installer before it completes.

Of course if swype wasn't tied to the exact configuration of your phone, a reinstall wouldn't have been necessary after a very minor 2.2.1 upgrade anyway, and none of us would have had to go through all this pain every few weeks. Sigh...