PDA

View Full Version : After update, Swype now saves all contacts names as "new words."

Shauncxc
09-24-2010, 6:56 AM
I didn't know how to describe it, but basically, after the update Swype now has stored all my contacts names as words it thinks I entered and saved. I think it's actually taking the names from facebook.

For example:
In my contacts, I have someone with "Noir" in their name. So when I go to swype "not" it comes out "noir" almost every time. So what I do is double-tap on "noir" and delete it, but it doesn't go away because I go to swype "not" again and "noir" is still there.

This gets really annoying, because swype seems to think that I'm trying to type a lot of these names, and a lot of times I'm no where near typing them. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and gotten around it? To my knowledge it just looks like swype has stored all my facebook contacts' names as words it thinks I input, and gives them priority to other words. This was never a problem before I got the 2.2 update and before swype updated, I'm really not sure as to when it started exactly.

I'm running the beta on my HTC Incredible, with Android 2.2.

flatH2O
09-25-2010, 5:10 PM
This annoys me too. The good thing is that you can delete the contact names from your saved dictionary. In your example, I bet "noir" doesn't go away because it's a real word. Try deleting on something that's definitely a name. Mine did delete.

BTW, mine started doing it at the Swype September update.

HTC Hero, Android 2.1

Kelly McCormick
09-26-2010, 2:58 PM
Mine types "tuo" everytime I try to type "to" - because I have to go over the u to get to the o. Tuo is the last name of someone in my contacts. I delete it from my saved dictionary, and for the remainder of that text it works fine... but then later if I open up my text app again, it's re-remembered "Tuo". So annoying since "to" is a word I obviously type often... is there a fix for this please? Thanks.

Motorola Droid, Android 2.2

brian.resnik
09-27-2010, 5:56 PM
Mine types "tuo" everytime I try to type "to" - because I have to go over the u to get to the o. Tuo is the last name of someone in my contacts. I delete it from my saved dictionary, and for the remainder of that text it works fine... but then later if I open up my text app again, it's re-remembered "Tuo". So annoying since "to" is a word I obviously type often... is there a fix for this please? Thanks.

Motorola Droid, Android 2.2

Try using a method we call "hopping" where instead of drawing a straight line from letter to letter, you draw an arc (or hop from letter to letter). See the "hopping" video here: http://www.swype.com/tips-tricks.html

Kelly McCormick
09-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Try using a method we call "hopping" where instead of drawing a straight line from letter to letter, you draw an arc (or hop from letter to letter). See the "hopping" video here: http://www.swype.com/tips-tricks.html

That seems like a TON of work for a short and common word like "to" - especially when you're used to using swype and used to drawing straight direct lines. Swype is meant to make typing faster - and hopping interrupts the speedy cadence of swyping with straight lines.

Seems a better option would be a software update that allows swype to PERMANENTLY forget words - including names of my contacts. Or, better yet, an option to permanently deprioritize "Tuo" below "to". Doesn't seem that hard to implement...lots of texting apps allow prioritization of words.

Shauncxc
09-29-2010, 9:56 PM
This annoys me too. The good thing is that you can delete the contact names from your saved dictionary. In your example, I bet "noir" doesn't go away because it's a real word. Try deleting on something that's definitely a name. Mine did delete.

BTW, mine started doing it at the Swype September update.

HTC Hero, Android 2.1

Yes, "noir" is still there because it's a word, although after I delete the name "Noir" it's not the first priority word anymore......until I restart my phone, and all that is reset. That's what gets me, because I reset my phone every morning, and I think in doing that, it resets all the deleted words in my dictionary, or swype just searches my contacts for words already used(names) and puts them right back in after I deleted them.

soulesschild
09-30-2010, 11:53 AM
I was just going to post about this problem. It's particularly irritating because I have a friend that has a last name Yiu so everytime I type in you...it comes out yiu.

banarieo
10-02-2010, 7:44 PM
Brian - you didn't reply about the issue of contact names appearing as dictionary words. It doesn't appear you have replied on the other threads that have mentioned this problem. Can you at least acknowledge it is happening and whether there is a workaround or a fix pending?

Thanks.