PDA

View Full Version : Swype stops swyping on occasion with the new September beta

macdaddy
09-22-2010, 6:00 AM
I am using an HTC Incredible with the Froyo 2.2 OS.

Since I upgraded to the new Swype beta, I have had several occurrences of the "swype" capability of the swype keyboard stops responding. Sometimes it will show the trail across the keyboard, and sometimes it won't, but regardless it does not output anything to the text window.

If I toggle back and forth between the OS keyboard and the Swype Keyboard, it will start working again.

Unfortunately, I upgraded to the September Beta right after upgrading to the 2.2 OS, so I do not know how the Beta worked with the 2.1 OS and if the problem is related to the HTC 2.2 OS version or the new Beta.

I looked through the bug report forum and did not see any report similar to this issue, so I posted. If this is a duplicate that has already been reported, I apologize in advance.

sanchezm
09-24-2010, 9:57 PM
U too have had the same problem I am using the inc to and my problems started right after the 2.2 update but the only way I can get it to work is to uninstall then reinstall

Denakisland
09-24-2010, 11:20 PM
I've been having the same problem since the update and i'm running 2.1 on my Eris. I am rooted with a custom ROM. Doesn't matter what ROM I try, I have the same problem

Justin C
09-25-2010, 12:12 PM
EVO 2.2, same problem. I had the previous beta on it for awhile post 2.2 update and it worked fine. Now, whenever my phone reboots (if I run out of power or whatever) when it comes back Swype either just doesn't work and I get the little flashy bars next to the keyboard, or it says "This swype install was configured for a different phone" or something like that THEN it doesn't work. REALLY frustrating having to uninstall and re-install everytime I reboot my phone.

btghostown
09-29-2010, 12:49 PM
htc incredible, I have no problem before the sept update with 2.1, but after the sept upgrade, i have to switch to other input method and back to swype and will work again. hopefully a new fix soon....

royal_8
10-11-2010, 5:52 AM
I have the same problem with the HTC Evo running 2.2. The 2.2 upgrade was there before the September beta upgrade for Swype. Swype periodically stops working. I do not get any notification tha something is wrong, it just stops working, then for whatever reason, it starts back working. This version definitely seems like the Swype team has gone backwards. The previous version worked perfectly on my EVO. I did not have the existig problem.

rob.boehm
10-11-2010, 5:47 PM
Just to make sure everybody reviewing this thread knows, this is a well documented bug with Swype. You should be able to quickly remedy this by long pressing on an input field and toggling the input method to the default keyboard and back to Swype.

lostrebel recently found out in the following post that Swapper2 (used to install on systems with low resources) may be causing this issue: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1372-Swype-no-longer-quot-swypes-quot-after-reboot&p=7807#post7807 Please post here if you notice similar behaviors.

swiftkey
10-12-2010, 3:11 AM
Same problem in HTC Desire with Android 2.2 (without Swapper2).
The "solution" of "...long pressing on an input field and toggling the input method to the default keyboard and back to Swype." works but it's very annoying. When Swype will solve this?
Swype is the keyboard with more bugs, why?

mfarewell
10-13-2010, 6:31 AM
Also regularly experiencing the same problem with HTC Desire and Froyo. From general experience it mostly seems to happen whilst writing text messages. It fails so regularly that I am inclined to type in using the swype keyboard rather than try the "swyping" method

NoiMaD
10-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Same issue once I upgraded from Eris (2.1) to Incredible (2.2) (also not using Swapper2). As this has been stated that it is a well documented bug, will there be a fix in the near future? I have to do the keyboard "switch" at least once a day and it has become such a pain that I have stopped using Swype (which I loved before this issue!!). Please let us know!!

jcolyer
10-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Droid Incredible running SkyRaider 3.3.1 with Adrynalyne V2 kerel - same problem, no Swype after reboot. Have had this issue with all versions of the Swype beta since upgrading to 2.2 regardless of rom version used.

Hoos1492
10-27-2010, 11:09 AM
This has begun happening to me too in the past few days. Only with web-based text entry (internet, Android Market, etc.), though. It hasn't happened with text entry on any of my local apps.

Sprint HTC EVO 4G, Froyo 2.2 stock.

Only apps I've added in the past week: Keeper Password & Data Vault and Evernote.

MysticCobra
11-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I have this problem frequently (~1-3 times per day). Long ago figured out the "toggle input method to something else and back to Swype" work around.

HTC Incredible on Verizon, running stock Android 2.2 and September beta. Not using Swapper. Haven't noticed a pattern to when it happens.

nicksgarage
11-11-2010, 2:25 PM
I just downloaded the new 2.10 beta and now I have this problem. I tried switching keyboards and reinstalling to no avail. Tap typing works as does the voice input but when I swype, I just see a blue flash at the sides of the keyboard. I also got the error message a couple times saying:

This Swype package you installed is
configured for another device and
will operate with limited functionality.

Please contact Swype about the issue.

Swype 2.10.52.13753.r100
HTC EVO
Sprint
Android 2.2
Stock Rom
Non-Rooted

nicksgarage
11-12-2010, 9:55 AM
Fixed by following the directions in this thread: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1511

kcb3rd
11-21-2010, 11:45 AM
You may have solved this but I would like to help if I can. I have the Samsung Moment and it did the same thing. I only thing that works for me to prevent Swype to 'stop working' was to install 'TASKILLER' The one with a small Red Droid. (there are many out there, as you may know) I set Taskiller to force kill Swype when my screen turns off. I know it works because as soon as I removed 'Taskiller' Swype stated doing the same thing. I put Taskiller back in and all is fine with Swype. I have 2.1 in my Moment, btw.

nicksgarage
11-21-2010, 4:13 PM
I don't use a task killer. Since I fixed the install I haven't had a single problem with Swype. This is on an HTC EVO with Android 2.2.

kcb3rd
11-21-2010, 8:23 PM
Great. I use Taskiller for the sole purpose of keeping Swype working. I wouldn't have it, or any other 'killer' if not for that reason. I am upgrading to EVO soon and I'm here looking for posts about Swype. I still have the email with the Sept. 2010 download I used to upgrade on my Moment. Wondering and hoping I can still use it to d/L to my new EVO. Ideas?

nicksgarage
11-21-2010, 9:01 PM
I've only had the EVO so I don't know if there is a different in the beta versions. For every update I just use the same e-mail they first sent me. You may need to contact Swype to find out.

rob.boehm
11-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Great. I use Taskiller for the sole purpose of keeping Swype working. I wouldn't have it, or any other 'killer' if not for that reason. I am upgrading to EVO soon and I'm here looking for posts about Swype. I still have the email with the Sept. 2010 download I used to upgrade on my Moment. Wondering and hoping I can still use it to d/L to my new EVO. Ideas?

You're account is allowed to install Swype on two different devices. If you try to do more it will start giving you the ID Registration Mismatch error. You'll then need to contact us using the instructions on this thread: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1353-The-ID-of-the-Phone-doesn-t-match-your-registration.

Causemoi
11-30-2010, 8:50 PM
As with the others, my MT3G on 2.2.1 stops Swyping (accepting words) until I toggle the keyboard by long-pressing...I have never had Swapper as suggested by one of the users on this thread. Is my method the only fix for now for this issue? Is there not a permanent fix for this?

adzadude
12-01-2010, 7:55 PM
I can confirm that this bug still exists with the November BETA release.

I am Running HTC Desire Android 2.2 (Froyo) with Swype Beta November.

At this stage, only the long press, change keyboard input and change back method fixes this issue.

DiskEyes
12-08-2010, 4:40 PM
So, SWYPE, when are you (please) going to fix this? Seriously. Switching input methods to re-enable SWYPE when it randomly quits working? C'mon!

I'm a fat-fingered SWYPE lover and I know, for me on my DInc running 2.2, SWYPE is still beta, but this has been going on for a while (for me). It's annoying enough that I'm considering abandoning SWYPE for a while. And, it's really embarrassing, not to mention negative publicity for SWYPE, when I'm trying to show someone how really awesomely cool SWYPE is, and then ... oh, he-he, well it's got this little bug - I can fix it real quick ... UGH!

Whew - I feel better now.

ksjmh13
12-09-2010, 9:09 AM
First time user of Swype as of yesterday and this is still a problem. EVO running stock 2.2. Thanks for the thread helped a lot.

Shad0wguy
12-09-2010, 9:52 AM
After installing the new release I have started experiencing this issue. Quick annoying, and will probably revert to older version if not resolved soon.

HTC Aria 2.2

tboehrer
12-10-2010, 9:48 AM
New swype user, HTC Incredible.

Just installed the the December release and a couple of times it has stopped swyping.

iploya
12-11-2010, 1:58 PM
Mine intermittently stops working, too. Have to cycle to Android KB and back. The OEM version of Swype on my old Samsung Captivate didn't have this bug, though I like the new beta better when it IS working.

mzimmer74
12-11-2010, 5:23 PM
I just got on the newest beta and Swype worked perfectly for me on a 2.2 Droid. However, last night my phone updated itself to 2.2.1 and now swyping won't work. When I shut down and restarted the phone I was able to get an error message (just one time) saying Swype was configured for a different device. I'm assuming it's due to the update, but is there any fix for this?

chrisonline
12-11-2010, 7:24 PM
Me too, same problem. I posted this on another thread, but that didn't have a useful header, so may not be readily spotted for what it is.

I have HTC EVO 4G, running 2.2, not rooted. The swyping doesn't work when I reset the device, but the Swype keyboard comes up, and tapping the keys individually works, but not the swyping.

If I long press and switch input to the native keyboard, then switch back to Swype, it all works again.

Not a mjor problem as I don't intend to reset too often, and it is quickly corrected - but there must be something wrong.

chrisonline
12-11-2010, 7:26 PM
DiskEyes - don't whine! This is a Beta, therefore you have to accpet issues, and report them. That's why it's a BETA.

sh2681
12-11-2010, 7:47 PM
Really like using swype having same problem any idea when the but will get fixed

chrisonline
12-12-2010, 6:31 AM
lostrebel recently found out in the following post that Swapper2 (used to install on systems with low resources) may be causing this issue: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1372-Swype-no-longer-quot-swypes-quot-after-reboot&p=7807#post7807 Please post here if you notice similar behaviors.[/QUOTE]

I am NOT using swapper2, but have the problem.

adzadude
12-13-2010, 4:22 PM
December Beta of Swype - I can confirm I'm having the same problem. (Keyboard 'swype' no longer inputs text/words but I can put in characters if I press each key individually).
Has been a bug in the last number of Swype releases. Just wondering if any of these more recent releases were supposed to fix this bug, or if this is lower down on the priority list please?
HTC Desire Froyo 2.2

kharv76
12-13-2010, 7:35 PM
Having the same issue on the December beta as well on my HTC Desire 2.1. This is my first Beta and unfortunately, the version I ran before that I had downloaded never had this issue.

I guess I would rather have this issue and have to change keyboards around to get it working again, then to not have it at all.

rlafleur
12-14-2010, 7:32 AM
I'm seeing this with my HTC Aria on the AT&T network. Toggling keyboard resolves this. Phone is rooted and running Liberated Aria Froyo Series FR008 from XDA Developers. Should we start a new thread and/or update thread title to reflect that this is happening with December beta?

memphis
12-14-2010, 2:52 PM
Another December beta also having this problem on my Droid Incredible with Froyo (unrooted). I've had Swype for almost a week now and this has happened two times. Have to turn off/on device to fix.

**Note in response to chrisonline's comment, I do not have swapper2 or any sort of swap setup.My phone iw only 3 weeks in use and factory, barring downloaded apps.**

memphis
12-15-2010, 6:07 AM
Happened twice during the week before my post there, but happened 3 more times in the 18 hours since that post (after full turnoff/restarting)! Really getting to be a problem

LazyDonkey
12-15-2010, 1:02 PM
Same issue here on HTC Desire HD running 2.2.

MysticCobra
12-22-2010, 5:34 AM
Verizon Incredible w/ Froyo. December version continues to have the problem where Swype won't work after a phone re-boot. Toggle to stock keyboard and back to Swype fixes the problem.

adzadude
01-12-2011, 7:52 PM
Just wondering if there's been any update on this?

From reading some other threads - I get the impression that the whole 'Swype doesn't work but blue border flashes', along with the ability to key in manually appears to be a security 'feature' that's gone buggy.

ie - when the BETA runs out or if it is installed on a device with the wrong ID, the same issue occurs.

Is it possible that the security / registration feature is buggy and it's causing this issue?

code101
01-23-2011, 1:44 PM
Having the same problem here on the Samsung Transform. Doing the swapping keyboards workaround does do the trick, but man it's annoying to have to do that. Thankfully the phone has a physical keyboard. Its just that Swype is actually faster to type on. I don't have Swapper 2 installed that might be the issue.

thedriver
01-23-2011, 9:43 PM
[QUOTE=robert.boehm;7813]Just to make sure everybody reviewing this thread knows, this is a well documented bug with Swype. You should be able to quickly remedy this by long pressing on an input field and toggling the input method to the default keyboard and back to Swype.

Hey Rob,
Thanks for the info.
Not sure if you need it, but I too have this problem.
•Device: HTC DesireHD
•Carrier: Vodafone Australia
•Android: 2.2 FroYo
•ROM: Stock Vodafone ROM
•ROOT user: No

No installation of Swapper.
I'm not sure if changing the text input method fixes it or not, haven't had a chance to try. I'll assume it does though.

amm009uk
01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
On Desire HD with one of latest custom ROM's running 2.2.1.

We really need something from the devs to tell us they've found the cause of the problem even if the fix is not coming soon. Just puts you at ease.

rob.boehm
01-25-2011, 7:13 PM
This thread has to do with issues specific to the September version of the beta. It is impossible to get anymore. Everything posted thus far is covered in detail on the Known Error database, please search for your problem and review solutions there.