PDA

View Full Version : Swype Dictionary Using Contact Names Before Regular Words

soniclude
09-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Before the September update, Swype would include contact names from my phone in the dictionary of swype-able words, which was totally awesome. After the update this continues to be true, but now the contact names are given top priority over regular words. This results in many word corrections and "hidden word" popups. Before, they were given lower priority and did not interfere.

For instance, whenever I try to swype the word "to", I get the word "tio", which is my friend's last name. I have to highlight and choose the correct word ("to"), which results in a "hidden word" popup. If I try to delete the word "tio" (which ideally wouldn't be necessary), it comes back again later. Since I have a large number of contacts, I find myself correcting words (and dismissing popups) constantly (sometimes several times while composing a single text message).

The ideal behavior would be for contact names to be in the dictionary, but not to be given priority over "regular" words. Swype would assume you meant a regular word and only use the contact name if you corrected it or if you actually tried to swype it.

My info:
* Device Make/Model: HTC Incredible
* Wireless Carrier: Verizon
* Android Version: 2.2 FroYo
* ROM Version: Stock
* Are you a ROOT user? No

Steps to reproduce:
* Download the September beta installer and install it
* Activate and enable Swype, and do not adjust any settings
* Attempt to swype a word that is similar to a first or last name you have in your contact list
* The name is chosen instead of the word, and the word is treated as "hidden" behind the name

Hopefully you guys can fix this in the next release! Other than this new issue it's been working great for me and is an excellent product. Keep up the great work!

alanjrobertson
09-22-2010, 2:53 PM
Exactly the same problem here - HTC Desire with 2.2 and Sept Swype Beta

mcflurry4321
09-24-2010, 9:25 AM
Same exact thing is happening for me.

My info:
* Device Make/Model: HTC Incredible
* Wireless Carrier: Verizon
* Android Version: 2.2 Froyo
* ROM Version: Skyraider
* Are you a ROOT user? Yes

Getting a bit out of hand to be honest. Almost every single text I send (upwards of 400-500 per day) results in contact names being given priority over other words. It could maybe be forgiven if this only happened with relatively complex words but it happens on really common words like to, just, from, etc. Of course it will vary based on the user's contact size and content but you know what I mean.

Edit: I should add that I also can't delete or add words to my dictionary. Deleting them results in just nothing happening while touch typing a word to enter it into the dictionary simply results in it not being added.

I love Swype to death, but this is really making it very hard to use. Closing several popups during each text is becoming very, very tiresome.

alanjrobertson
09-24-2010, 3:10 PM
Wholeheartedly agree - on a minor point it also doesn't seem to be allowing me to add ;-) as a smilie, when I'm sure it did before.

BTW - does anyone from the Swype team read the post on here or is there a separate forum/email address/bug form that we should complete/send a message to to raise these issues?

mcflurry4321
09-25-2010, 6:59 AM
BTW - does anyone from the Swype team read the post on here or is there a separate forum/email address/bug form that we should complete/send a message to to raise these issues?

I was wondering that myself. I've asked a few questions before on this forum and Brian has always responded extremely quickly, but I've noticed that he hasn't responded to any of the several threads with this general topic in it.

*shrug*

alanjrobertson
09-25-2010, 7:37 AM
Do you have his username on here? Maybe I could drop him a PM and ask him to pop into this thread? :-)

mcflurry4321
09-26-2010, 4:58 AM
Do you have his username on here? Maybe I could drop him a PM and ask him to pop into this thread? :-)

It's brian.resnik

alanjrobertson
09-26-2010, 5:52 AM
Great, thanks :)

klondike
09-29-2010, 7:54 PM
Same problem here, this is my #1 complaint with the new version. It was immediately noticeable and has been prevalent the entire time. Very frustrating, and has started to erode the efficiency gap between Swype and its competitors.

alanjrobertson
09-30-2010, 9:16 AM
Agreed. BTW no response to a PM to brian.resnik - anyone know a good alternative contact detail to make sure Swype are aware of this issue?

brian.resnik
10-03-2010, 8:06 AM
Hey folks,

Sorry not to have gotten to you all earlier. The beta team has been pretty busy working on some back-end updates to make our support process easier (and thus more reliable).

I've flagged this issue for analysis by our QA team. It's been logged in our internal bug-tracker, and I'll let you know as soon as one of our devs have had a chance to address the issue.

Thanks for the excellent bug reporting, everyone! Keep it up!

P.S. to alanjrobertson,

The reason you can't add ;-) is that I think we added it to our list smilies that we support out-of-the-"box." Check the built-in help documentation (the Punctuation Words category) for a full list of smilies.

alanjrobertson
10-03-2010, 8:13 AM
Thanks for the reply, Brian - glad to hear things are being investigated. Not sure on the smily front in that whenever I swiped (very carefully) over ;-) it still did :-) - not sure why, I'm sure a previous version supported it OK. I'm afraid I was getting so frustrated with the 'hidden word' popup that I've moved across to SwiftKey instead - it's taking a bit of retraining to get out of Swyping things though! I'll maybe investigate Swype again when the next beta is out :)

Cheers

Alan

smashcubed
10-05-2010, 2:33 PM
This is the most frustrating thing about the application hands down. I can't keep "breen" (a fb friend's name) deleted or give "been" priority (a word I use all the time I've noticed), and I can't turn off the "Hidden Key" tutorial pop-up. The "Hidden Key" window destroys the speed gained in this app for sure.

JOe K.
10-25-2010, 7:52 AM
Getting a bit out of hand to be honest. Almost every single text I send (upwards of 400-500 per day) results in contact names being given priority over other words. It could maybe be forgiven if this only happened with relatively complex words but it happens on really common words like to, just, from, etc. Of course it will vary based on the user's contact size and content but you know what I mean.

Edit: I should add that I also can't delete or add words to my dictionary. Deleting them results in just nothing happening while touch typing a word to enter it into the dictionary simply results in it not being added.

I love Swype to death, but this is really making it very hard to use. Closing several popups during each text is becoming very, very tiresome.

+10

Thanks,
JOe K.

brian.resnik
10-25-2010, 3:07 PM
From our bugtracker:

Fixed in rev 12952.

Updated variable UDB initial frequencies (bug 5808: Scraped contacts take priority in WCW).

This is the implementation based on much discussion (Cliff, Mark, Ethan) on Variable UDB initial frequencies and Ethan's detailed description in the bug. The new values for the UDB initial frequencies are defined as following:
DEFAULT FREQUENCY: 5 // The initial freq. of a single word explicitly added to the UDB.
GROUP ADD FREQUENCY: 3 // The initial freq. of a word added to the UDB as part of a group add.
TAP ADD FREQUENCY: 3 // The initial freq. of a tapped-in word.
SCRAPE ADD FREQUENCY: 2 // The initial freq. of a word automatically added from contacts or similar lists.

The solution/code was updated and reviewed in details by Eric and Ethan.

To explain a little further, every word starts with the "weighting frequency" defined above. Selecting a word from the word choice window (and some other things) will increment or decrement the word's frequency.

We'll be pushing out a new build soon, so just be a TINY bit more patient and this will be resolved for good :)

sirrix
01-14-2011, 3:48 AM
Hi. This still is not resolved in the latest build. Swype appears to still be pulling names from people that were ONCE contacts (i deleted a Bob Knote months ago and now it is impossible to type know or to delete the name from the dictionary for very long. Why can I not permanently delete a contact name from the dictionary? Swype appears to periodically check the address book to add names and just readds all names I've deleted. This is driving me insane. I performed a clean install of the latest build, running stock N1.

IanS100
01-15-2011, 4:35 PM
It doesn't add just one copy of these words , it keeps adding more & more copies do that the delete process had to be repeated over & over again until the word finally goes. I've had to repeat the delete procedure over 100 in a row to get rid of Mr, and this is a regular occurance!

Hardwood
01-18-2011, 6:50 PM
Last word from anyone on the Swype Team was back in October, 2010.

I have an EVO and Swype recently became "standard" with our latest HTC update.

Constantly deleting the word "tuo" from my dictionary and the incessant "hidden word" pop-up have GOT to stop!

The dev team has been spoon-fed enough information to pinpoint the problem, and correct it. There should be an option to browse the dictionary (either with the phone or a PC-based app) and add/delete words at will.

As well as assigning priorities to commonly Swyped words.

Thanks!

Hardwood
01-18-2011, 6:53 PM
Fix this and THEN we can vote on the 2010 TechCrunch Crunchies!

Can't call this "The Best Touch Interface" until this glaring problem is resolved.

:-)

Chewieez
01-20-2011, 6:54 AM
This is driving me crazy! I can't believe my contact names are given higher priority than words like "and" and "to" and "out".

Is there something we can do to help this? Is there a new beta version coming out soon that will address this bug?

I'm using a stock HTC EVO

rastaman01
01-20-2011, 1:24 PM
What is the latest build and how do I check if I have it already? If a new one is released (that will fix this issue of not being able to delete words from the dictionary) will the current build notify us of an update?

doseedo
02-05-2011, 2:53 PM
I give up. This has been driving me nuts for sometime and it doesn't appear it'll be resolved anytime soon.

I'm going to break down and pay for slideit which I am trying out now. Not as good as Swype overall, but at least it doesn't have this truly annoying issue.

Stock Evo.

rob.boehm
02-06-2011, 7:42 AM
It's been mentioned in other threads that this will be available in the next release. We'll have to release another version some time in the beginning of March or else nobodies license will work anymore.

Personally I think it will take a bit longer, but I guess were going to see who's right in 4-5 weeks. :-)

wturnerharris
02-06-2011, 4:54 PM
I second this bug!!!

User contact names are never deleted even when manually deleting them.

Contact names are weirdly first priority, so words that should be "learned" to come first do not.

I've had the beta since December. I didn't know the HTC EVO now has swype standard now. Good move! But let's get this right! It's been [bug]ging me for months now.

smashcubed
02-08-2011, 2:12 PM
I am very happy that the tutorial screen doesn't pop up any more, thanks for that!

Here are a few examples of what contacts take priority over regular words.
lunch -> lynch
sorry -> sperry
few -> drew
it -> ht

Also, I can delete contact names from the swype dictionary, but they come back when I restart the phone. Perhaps instead of just removing words you need a "deleted words" table, so they don't come back. Probably reducing the contact list words priority would be sufficient, though.

hiphopharry
02-11-2011, 2:04 PM
Why did this app come preloaded on my phone with so many bugs? I'm very disappointed and actually sympathetic for anyone with this app preloaded to their phone! Upgrade to Ultra Keyboard or SlideIT!

MidnightLight
02-13-2011, 6:50 PM
How soon can we get a fix for this? This is by far the number one problem with Swype now--it has become virtually unusable ever since this "feature" was introduced. I am extremely, extremely disappointed that the Swype dev team doesn't seem to recognize how big a problem this is.

rob.boehm
02-13-2011, 7:28 PM
It's been mentioned in other threads that this will be available in the next release. We'll have to release another version some time in the beginning of March or else nobodies license will work anymore.

Personally I think it will take a bit longer, but I guess were going to see who's right in 4-5 weeks. :-)

How soon can we get a fix for this? This is by far the number one problem with Swype now--it has become virtually unusable ever since this "feature" was introduced. I am extremely, extremely disappointed that the Swype dev team doesn't seem to recognize how big a problem this is.

Due to competitive reasons we really can't address the changes that are being made right now to how the dictionary is going to work and how these changes are going to improve the unwanted behavior as described in this post.

However I will tell you that I can't think of anything else that's being developed right now that's receiving more attention than restructuring how the dictionary and it's management works.

atlbravesfalcs7
02-13-2011, 9:41 PM
Due to competitive reasons we really can't address the changes that are being made right now to how the dictionary is going to work and how these changes are going to improve the unwanted behavior as described in this post.

However I will tell you that I can't think of anything else that's being developed right now that's receiving more attention than restructuring how the dictionary and it's management works.

Glad to know that you're working on it.

memphis
02-15-2011, 1:10 AM
I am SO HAPPY to see that this is being addressed and will (hopefully) be resolved soon. I have a contact with the last name 'Ayre' which drives me absolutely crazy when swyping in portrait mode!

Sophos
02-15-2011, 7:50 PM
Glad to read this here too! Hope to come back to swype soon

atlbravesfalcs7
02-16-2011, 4:51 PM
yeah...im the biggest swype fan out there and can't even use it until they fix this issue. idk how many times i've had to go back because of all the last names popping up.

dez93_2000
02-18-2011, 8:02 AM
Huge +1 for this issue, including for the idea of having a pc interface option to manually edit (and cloud-store for future?) the dictionary.

Another thing i've noticed is not only the custom scraped words (my personal bugbear is Goy instead of got!), but the expanded dictionary populated with various proper nouns which i'm unlikely to use. Sure, there's definitely a benefit to not have to manually enter google or hitler or mcdonalds or various other things which people are likely to type, but there's also the drag of having the dictionary massively overbloated with options which i'll never need - chang, sheng, lexus, and a billion others.

Possibly a pc interface (or phone-based as well) could have toggles to turn on or off custom lists in subcategories, e.g.
contacts
globally ubiquitous people
globally ubiquitous places
globally ubiquitous companies
globally ubiquitous products
local people/places/products/companies
insulting terms, haha,
etc

this would be overridden if you have, e.g., turned all of these off but then added any manually.
Furthermore, with cloud storage an the swype server, you guys could run trend analysis to improve the subdictionaries based on usage.

Sorta off topic but not massively: this is something i always felt should have been an option from the start of MS word - dictionary packs e.g. science, accountancy, etc, with your personal additions stored as well. I hope that one day we get to a place where one's internal dictionary (i.e. their vocabulary) can follow them everywhere because anything you type into would access your online dictionary.
Maybe if swype pioneers this then you guys would own the idea and everyone would end up using swype. Just give me a cut of the profits eh? ;)

edit: another thing (which would be an intermediate to my main idea): ability to delete words in the main dictionary, which shouldn't be there in the first place. Like Topi, honda, and infinite others

smashcubed
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I apologize in advance for bringing back a dead thread.

I would like to say that I'm ecstatic to see that my opinions were heard, and that the latest update fixes my problems. This is the best keyboard out there, and I will definitely recommend it to everyone.

brian.resnik
03-12-2011, 7:56 AM
Glad to hear it! We do what we can :)

dez93_2000
03-13-2011, 4:45 PM
+1 for that - great work on the update guys, can already see the usual army of dubiously real words are seemingly gone. Still no option to delete words from the standard dictionary though - you could always add em back!

rob.boehm
03-16-2011, 5:50 PM
...Still no option to delete words from the standard dictionary though - you could always add em back!

bah, I thought that was supposed to be apart of this update. x_x
I guess we'll just have to wait for it to be included in the rest of the dictionary enhancements that are still in the cooker.

dez93_2000
03-17-2011, 8:28 AM
and it turns out i spoke too soon! Topi, Tipi, Tupi, and other long list of oddities still present... awww....

Iammyself
04-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I have the Samsung Epic, which came bundled with Swype...love it, love it, love it...but this issue has made me cuss. I have no contact named "tuo" but it Swype always chooses that word over "to." I have suggested words disabled because in my view it slows me down. Anyway, every time I "remove" tuo from the dictionary, it works for the next message or two, and then the word "tuo" is right back. It's maddening. Please help Swype. Thanks, ~Paul

MidnightLight
04-17-2011, 8:09 PM
Along similar lines, I find it extremely aggravating that the auto-complete function always seems to select "4ever" and "2moro" whenever I just want to enter "4" and "2". I'm sure this is really useful for teens, but for the rest of us who never use these terms, this is just slowing us down unnecessarily.

brian.resnik
04-18-2011, 12:22 PM
We recommend turning off Word Prediction in the Swype settings, as it does not effect Swyping, and only offers suggestion from the dictionary. And why would you be tapping if the word is in the dictionary anyway? You'd just Swype it! :)

swiperer
07-01-2011, 8:45 AM
Please just let me turn off contact names! I'd much rather just teach Swype the ones I use regularly. :(

dodongitri
07-01-2011, 6:32 PM
Yeah, this issue came back with the latest update. You used to be able to delete contact names permanently. now it keeps coming back. not sure if it's after every reboot. or reopening the keyboard. or something.