PDA

View Full Version : Swyping not working......

TonyMontana357
09-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I was swying fine the night before, now when I swype is see line of the word I swyped but no word! I can tap the screen and get the letter, and hold to get the secondary keyboard for symbols and numbers. Swype is enabled. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

kharv76
09-18-2010, 1:24 PM
The beta you have installed on your phone has expired.

TonyMontana357
09-18-2010, 8:54 PM
How do I get the update? Cuz, I actually thought I got it. The version I have is 1.1 and I got the email on Aug. 31

blackbeard
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I was swying fine the night before, now when I swype is see line of the word I swyped but no word! I can tap the screen and get the letter, and hold to get the secondary keyboard for symbols and numbers. Swype is enabled. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

What sort of phone?? Mine did exactly the same thing to me this morning, and I definitely got the update when the email came out. The thing that did it in my case was the OTA update of 2.2.1 being pushed out to my Nexus One. Some people have posted on various forums that uninstalling and reinstalling swype has fixed it for them, but in mine, and a few other peoples cases, I get the "The ID of the Phone doesn't match your registration at beta.swype.com." error when I try to reinstall. If you're in the same boat it looks like you'll need to post your details in the thread in the troubleshooting section of these forums, and hopefully they'll fix the issue soon... I'm still waiting though.

chris_overseas
09-29-2010, 8:32 AM
Personally I love Swype (the application), but am rapidly becoming completely fed up with the absurdly painful DRM built into it, to the point where I'm very close to giving up completely. I realise the beta is exactly that, however for the past few months I've been having to disable/enable, clear data, uninstall/reinstall, reboot, login/redownload more times than I can remember ONLY because of the DRM/licensing. Today I now find myself in a situation where even the above doesn't seem to work, all because I've committed the cardinal sin of upgrading by a point release of Android (to 2.2.1). I'm at work, I don't have time to fix it right now (if that's even possible), so I've switched over to SwiftKey (which I purchased) for now since it doesn't appear to be encumbered with such invasive DRM.

As a developer myself I understand what it's like to have your product pirated. It sucks. But time and time again DRM has proven NOT to be the answer. Every time a new version of Swype is released a hacked APK appears in days if not hours anyway, and the people using that don't have to go through all this grief. Myself, as a legitimate beta user on the other hand, am constantly getting burnt by this so called 'protection' which, let's face it, will be cracked in no time regardless. How much time and trouble has this licensing system inflicted on your own company? Developer hours aside, this and other forums are full of people having trouble with it. Just take a look at your beta FAQ!

All that time and effort, and the net result is legitimate users get hurt and grow wary of your (otherwise wonderful) product, while the pirates laugh and aren't affected at all. Some people will pirate your product whether you like it or not (even if you were selling it for $0.01). If you're afraid of the increased support burden caused by increased piracy if the product is DRM free (though there's no certainty levels will increase over what they are now anyway), do you really think it'll outweigh the amount of time, effort and potential lost business introduced by developing and dealing with the fallout from the DRM?

How about fighting piracy by instead offering frequent and useful updates, a quality product that people like myself are willing to pay for and just generally making life as easy as possible for your "customers" (though I realise your business model means I might never be one, even though I'd like to be)?

Sorry for the rant, I realise you have your reasons for doing things the way you are. It just seems you're treading the same futile DRM path that a thousand others have before you and that makes me both sad and frustrated :(