PDA

View Full Version : Swype jas become garbage with new update

marshall
09-16-2010, 4:00 PM
(Jas is a good example) since the update I am constantly getting poor accuracy, junk words, the hidden word pop up (I just got "for" hidden by "four" (neither should be hidden out are custom words), and I cannot delete words from the dictionary (swype hours through the steps but the words persist). JudyJust a big just was hidden by judy and big by boie!) Normal keyboard is faster and less frustrating (took 5 attempts to get less)

Should add that I am on droid incredible with froyo.

Also I just installed and reverted to earlier version. So much better, night and day! Either the problem is device specific or swype team really dropped the ball.

optogeek
09-16-2010, 10:09 PM
My friends and I have noticed the same thing. As per one of my friends:

The swype dictionary is starting to really annoy me. Inputting basic words prompts the polyp saying a hidden word prevented from the real word from being used like:

In shows ine
doing shows duong

My results have been similar. What's going on with the new release?

Twizdedsista
09-17-2010, 12:59 AM
I am having the same issues. HTC Droid Incredible Android 2.2 non-rooted.

marshall
09-18-2010, 5:52 AM
I had reverted to the earlier version because of all the problems with the dictionary. It expired this morning and I just reinstalled the new beta. This time I deleted all the data in application manager first. Only thing I changed was to increase accuracy to about 75%. It seems ok now. I even deleted a couple words successfully. Since the update I have the non response after reboot bug though. I can live with that.

MrObvious
09-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I had the exact problem and I am rooted so I rebooted to recovery and wiped my Delvik (or Dalvik?) cache and reinstalled the new beta. So if you aren't rooted you can one click root, or just reinstall Android on your phone. There seems to be junk from the 1.56 beta causing the new version to crap out.

marshall
09-18-2010, 2:01 PM
MrObvious said:
I had the exact problem and I am rooted so I rebooted to recovery and wiped my Delvik (or Dalvik?) cache and reinstalled the new beta. So if you aren't rooted you can one click root, or just reinstall Android on your phone. There seems to be junk from the 1.56 beta causing the new version to crap out.

Still getting nagged at least 2x a sentence with "hidden word". Stupid things like "for" was hidden by "four". What is the Dalvik cache and does it effect or wipe out anything I will notice?

marshall
09-18-2010, 3:13 PM
Quick Google told me there is no problem deleting dalvik cache. It is something like pre-fetch in Windows. So far it seems to have helped. I can type "for" without a pop-up telling me it is hidden by "four" and I was finally able to delete woel and stop the pop up when I try to write work. Thanks!

marshall
09-19-2010, 1:08 PM
Well I was wrong. Deleting dalvik cache did not help. Just wrote an 8 word text with 5 hidden word pop ups including for "for with four" and even a problem with the word swype! Dictionary is borked with (just got"with" hidden by "south- that should be word choice not pop up (voice hidden by wood) this update in my phone. if I can't find (find hidden by fund) a previous version I'm uninstalling. Will hate to do that because I LOVE/LOVED SWYPE. Hope someone who can take action is monitoring this forum!

mcflurry4321
09-19-2010, 5:10 PM
Just replying to say I'm on the Incredible with Froyo and I'm also getting all the same problems. I can't delete words from the dictionary and many of the words that I'm trying to delete shouldn't even need to be deleted in the first place. Or shouldn't be popping up the "has been replaced" window. Frustrating!

MrObvious
09-19-2010, 7:39 PM
I should say I uninstalled both the update and the installer, deleted the cache, and reinstalled it.

marshall
09-20-2010, 2:17 AM
MrObvious:
I should say I uninstalled both the update and the installer, deleted the cache, and reinstalled it.

I did that also. Initially thought it helped but still having trouble.

RocknSteve
09-20-2010, 9:09 AM
I'm having similar issues that are not only annoying but making me consider using something else. For some reason whenever I type "I'll", it'll suggest "i'll" and when I select the capitalized version, the "word hidden" message comes up. I have "deleted" the "custom" word "i'll" multiple times a day as it always finds its way back somehow. And it's not just with "I'll". It happens with other words too. Also, random letter combinations will somehow become a "custom" word. Words such as "nk", etc will somehow be considered a custom word. It's really annoying. I don't understand how this is all happening.

NOTE: I have checked my user dictionary under Settings -> Language & Keyboard and none of those "words" are saved in there.

I'm using the official FroYo build on Motorola Droid.

Cincybearcatfan
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
I have used swype for a LONG time now. With the newest update it keeps failing without reason. I use the installer to download and install the latest version AFTER I have uninstalled the previous version. After about a day, SWYPE quits allowing me to swype letters, I now HAVE to push each letter like a traditional keyboard to make it work. VERY FRUSTRATING! So I have to uninstall, then reinstall to get it to work for about a day and the go back through the whole process again! Is anyone else experiencing this?

maygem82
09-20-2010, 3:24 PM
I have had the exact same problems, it says a word was hidden by some stupid word that I supposedly added to my dictionary, at first I would take the time to delete the words but now I don't because they come right back. The most frustrating word for me to type is "you" I CONSTANTLY get upside down "h"s and I literally want to throw my phone out the window because it takes several attempts to get "you" and it tells me again that I have hidden words yet it won't even let you delete those because they aren't really words!! I love swype guys and I am literally lost with out it but this last update is total crap. The accuracy is not as good, in fact it's so far from good that it might be faster to use my default keyboard but I'm sticking with it (plus I don't wanna relearn where things are on that one) :) It's very frustrating trying to swype simple words that should not even prompt the word choice window to open yet they do and its some random selection of words that are no where near what I needed! Please fix!!!!

HTC Hero

maygem82
09-20-2010, 3:26 PM
same here on all counts...you delete it and it comes right back :'(

HTC Hero

jbird145
09-21-2010, 9:18 AM
I have the same problem on HTC Incredible 2.2 running stock ROM. These "hidden word" popups are driving me crazy and making swype unusable. Please fix this!!

AdamTxPdx
09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I am having the same issue on the HTC EVO. Every other word causes the hidden word tip to pop up. Disabling tips does nothing to stop the incessant pop-up. For longer emails, I have actually gone back to using the stock keyboard because it is faster than having to deal with the pop-up every other word. Hopefully this is fixed in the next update because it negates the entire purpose of Swype, quicker, easier text input.

NurseDroid
09-22-2010, 4:19 AM
I am having the same problem. Just updated this morning and I DO NOT like this keyboard. I want my swype keyboard back and the accuracy is NOT good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

NoiMaD
09-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree about the horrible accuracy on this latest update. I could text SO much faster with the previous version but now I am constantly having to check each word to make sure it shows up correctly. I really loved Swype but this current version is making me seriously think about going back to the normal keyboard. Is there any solution or fix for this yet??? I am running Eris 2.1.

sanchezm
09-24-2010, 10:03 PM
After reading the forum it seems to me that a lot of inc users are have a lot of the same issues

Justin C
09-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I have also noticed that in this release Swype has become FAR worse at picking my words and mis-guesses all the time. It's made me a much slower texter - it's so bad I've temporarily switched back to the normal keyboard until they fix it. EVO 2.2 w/ September beta. I've uninstalled and re-installed a couple times as well with no change. Also tried turning down the speed slider to make guessing better but that had no effect.

kirstisamuels
09-26-2010, 8:37 PM
I have also noticed that in this release Swype has become FAR worse at picking my words and mis-guesses all the time. It's made me a much slower texter - it's so bad I've temporarily switched back to the normal keyboard until they fix it. EVO 2.2 w/ September beta. I've uninstalled and re-installed a couple times as well with no change. Also tried turning down the speed slider to make guessing better but that had no effect.

SAME HERE. Nexus 1 user. Accuracy is completely shot, strange words that make no sense are apparently in my user dictionary. I delete them and they come right back, and all my contacts are appearing as first choices for words!

HELP

flattop100
09-27-2010, 11:16 AM
(Jas is a good example) since the update I am constantly getting poor accuracy, junk words, the hidden word pop up (I just got "for" hidden by "four" (neither should be hidden out are custom words), and I cannot delete words from the dictionary (swype hours through the steps but the words persist). JudyJust a big just was hidden by judy and big by boie!) Normal keyboard is faster and less frustrating (took 5 attempts to get less)

Should add that I am on droid incredible with froyo.

Also I just installed and reverted to earlier version. So much better, night and day! Either the problem is device specific or swype team really dropped the ball.

I registered just to say that this release is worse than the previous release. I'm running Swype 2.4.44.10912.t100 on a Sprint HTC Hero running Android 2.1 (stock). I had the previous beta of Swype, and installed the new Beta according to the directions. Bugs I'm having include:

+Hidden word issue
+Decreased accuracy
+Junk words in the dictionary (especially aggravating, as these words were never added, aren't English, and different ones are constant popping up)

I was faster at input with the previous Swype beta - with this current release, I'm considering the stock keyboard, as the inaccurate popups are making me even slower.

Swype is a fantastic product! Please go back to the previous beta and improve it from there! I really want it to work again!

ptmcniff
09-28-2010, 12:18 PM
I registered just to say that this release is worse than the previous release.
Swype is a fantastic product! Please go back to the previous beta and improve it from there! I really want it to work again!

Also registered to say the same. Response is slower and less accurate, and the "hidden word" window pops up all the time. Tweaking the "accuracy/speed" meter has improved things slightly, but has led to occasions where the keyboard doesn't register a finger pick-up, and strings a couple of words together.

The biggest issue/headache is the priority given to contact names. I cannot avoid getting "Morr" instead of "more," "Hoyt" instead of "How" and "Pitt" instead of out/pit. Deleting the word does nothing, as either the dictionary doesn't really change or the contacts get re-loaded immediately. And each time I have to change the word from the selection menu, I get the "hidden word" pop-up. (Having the option to disable that would be miraculous, even if nothing else got fixed.)

I love Swype, and don't think I can go back to the stock keyboard. It's not the end of the world, obviously, and I know that this is part of beta testing. But I've stopped showing the program off to people since it doesn't really work that well anymore. Looking forward to the next update and the inevitable improvements.

(Droid Incredible, non-rooted, running 2.2 Froyo, Swype version 2.4.44.10912.t100)

banarieo
09-29-2010, 9:42 AM
I also registered to add to this thread. I'm using the Droid Incredible, non-rooted, running 2.2 Froyo, Swype version 2.4.44.10912.t100. I was very happy with the earlier Swype beta, but this version appears to be quite unstable. It stops working at random periods, hidden word popup is much more of an issue than before, and the accuracy of letters/words Swype-d appears to be much less.

There have been reports of these issues for a month or longer. When will Swype reply and/or releast an update to address these?

Thanks

jasoncongo
09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
I have stopped using swype in favor of swiftkey even though i loved the swyping ability. Swiftkey at least works and doesn't require me to ignore the "hidden word" pop-up and its also intelligent about what words commonly follow other words. On another note if Swype instituted this in its accuracy check i'll bet it'd be even more amazing (after removing the stupid hidden word pop-up).

eganjt
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I have a Droid X running 2.2. Before, in 2.1, when I went to edit forms on a website or forum, in landscape, swype would full-sceen the text editing field on top with the keyboard on the bottom (still does this in text messages). Now, it just has the browser window on top.

The reason this is a HUGE problem for me is that when it's "full-screened" (like in a text message) you can use the red bull's eye to move the cursor. For whatever reason, you can no longer do this in a browser. It's now extremely difficult to edit a message in my browser (like the one I'm typing now).

Did Swype intentionally remove this functionality with the update to 2.2 or could it be an issue with the stock browser on the DX?

Please let me know if other people are having this problem as it is a daily hassle for me but I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone else yet.

Like others have said, this is an amazing product but if I could revert back to the 2.1 version I would do so in a heartbeat. Please fix the problem or allow us to go back to previous versions!

shrike2000
10-01-2010, 1:11 PM
I am happy to see that I'm not the only one having these issues, but sad to see that so many people are having these issues. I am on the HTC Hero and I'm getting all the problems reported here (and probably more): Many hidden words, terrible recognition, garbage words in the dictionary, slowness, and bad tracking. Swype has caused a 63% increase in loud profanity as well along with a measurable increase in frustrated mumbling.

mcflurry4321
10-01-2010, 1:22 PM
Anyone know why brian.resnik has stopped responding to our questions/concerns? Even an acknowledgment that they are aware of the problem and are working on it would be enough.

daiqtran
10-03-2010, 1:57 AM
Droide Incredible with 2.2 - every few days, swype will stop working. key pad is present and inputting text by tapping works. but swpying does not. can see the traces but no words. have to delete the program and reinstall. have done this multiple times. very frustrating.

Allyc1057
10-03-2010, 7:39 AM
Glad I'm not the only one with these issues, I noticed them within 10 mins of installing the update. Sept update = crap recognition and slow, laggy operation.. Before I found this thread I ranted here:

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1014-Swype-is-wonderful-Swype-is-terrible

P.s. Running htc desire on 2.2 (recently updated from 2.1 ota)...

naratcliffe
10-18-2010, 9:55 AM
Droide Incredible with 2.2 - every few days, swype will stop working. key pad is present and inputting text by tapping works. but swpying does not. can see the traces but no words. have to delete the program and reinstall. have done this multiple times. very frustrating.

Same problem... any response, Swype Management?

MojoPotato
10-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Add another to the list of those that have abandoned Swype since the September 2.4 beta "upgrade." Fortunately the stock keyboard on my Nexus One got a lot better with 2.2 so I don't miss Swype as much. We just bought an Epic 4G that came with Swype v1.6 and it works sooo much better than the 2.4.

spbrereton
10-20-2010, 9:04 AM
Adding my voice to the chorus. The accuracy is definitely down - even after I did a factory reset of the device this week and installed everything from scratch.

We need an October update PDQ.

IanS100
10-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I have the same problem as everyone else with very poor accuracy, gibberish words in the Dictionary & the infuriating pop-up window, & why does it keep scouring my contacts for new words & postcodes to add. I'm now at the point of giving up on Swype because last update has completely broken this once great program & Managements complete silence on the matter just adds to the frustration. So come on Swype, tell us what's going on & either fix it or allow us to go back to the previous version!

HTC Desire + Froyo

Bengmo
10-22-2010, 7:59 AM
I agree, swype is much worse with the latest version. I get gibberish 3 letter words all the time now. Sometimes there's nothing but non-words in the word choice window. It's so bad now I switched to SwiftKey. The input trace is Kathy and often stops in the Middle of a swype. Please fix this, it was such a great keyboard before.

camarosrool
10-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Droid Incredible 2.2 reporting in with the same issues.
I read this whole thread in the hopes that there would have been some acknowledgement that there was a work in progress
Its pretty bad, the pop up part is the worst for me
I really do not want my contacts in my dictionary. I have way too many weird last names (try typing how with Hoy in your dictionary and given priority)
it completely ignores me when I highlight a word and confirm the delete. The words never actually delete...

I am going to give some of the alternatives a try and see if they work any better because this is a struggle :\
Been with beta since I first got this phone and have been a very big proponent of swype until this last patch

as mentioned by someone earlier, I stopped showing my friends because it really isn't that impressive anymore
I wish I could uninstall this version and go back to the previous one as it was much better.

brian.resnik
10-22-2010, 9:06 PM
Hey folks, sorry to have kept you waiting.

We've finally reached a point where we can definitely say "update imminent." We've had a lot of work on our plate, and have even turned a fresh perspective to the beta program in many ways. We'll be fixing these accuracy issues, along with the installation problems, among other things, in the next update which is going through internal QA now.

I'll have more news for you soon, as we get closer to release time.

alanjrobertson
10-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Great to hear it, Brian!! I'll see what the chat is in the beta community here but if it's an improvement then it might tempt me back from SwiftKey (I had to stop using Swype after the September update).

camarosrool
10-24-2010, 7:34 PM
thanks for the update, I know you probably get a lot of negative feedback, so on the plus side, what you guys are doing is great. I have never LOVED a keyboard like i did swype, it literally changed my life (well the part that pertains to the phone anyways) so I hope the next update will be a good one.

sjdprods
11-02-2010, 10:33 AM
....we can definitely say "update imminent."

Excellent. While the current beta has been mostly manageable for me [HTC Incredible/2.2], there have been times under this beta (as opposed to the prior) that I've bailed and tried another keyboard for a while. While I've come back to Swype each time, it's not been without frustration, and I'm looking forward to a new beta that will hopefully address many of the issues pointed out in the forums. Thanks for all the work.

hakoreh
11-05-2010, 11:14 AM
any news? 10/22 seems like a long time ago.

epunch
12-20-2010, 6:28 PM
I've been having massive "hidden word" problems since the December update -- so much worse. It was annoying before, but now it's acting like standard english dictionary words are custom words it needs to comment on. Any hope of a fix for this? Or just getting rid of the hidden words dialogue? Thanks.

Chuckbytes
01-09-2011, 8:56 AM
:eek:I've have read the same opinions on a number of other forums and have been desperately searching how I can revert back to the earlier version of Swype. It was a revolutionary approach to text messaging and so many of my colleague’s agree.

We implemented this method of input across our network and purchased Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant phones to accommodate the use of Swype.

I have been holding back on using any harsh descriptions of the new release but...This new version of swype has turned it to crap.

All my friends and I are all willing to change our Android operating systems back to 2.1 if that's what it takes to get back to the earlier version of Swype.

Does anyone know how we can revert our versions of either Swype or the whole OS back.

GazaIan
01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
You might possibly find an earlier version hosted on another website, but that's about all the luck you can get.

Kirkh420
01-15-2011, 9:11 AM
I will be quitting Swype unless the "Hidden Word Tips" can be disabled in the next available update for HTC EVO. This is the WORST flaw in the program yet. I cannot type a paragraph without getting this "Hidden Word Tip" pop-up 4 or 5 times. What is the Problem here? Why cant this be disabled? comeon devs.... get with the program here.

Kirkh420
01-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Somebody please ban that ****ing ******* who is posting advertisements