PDA

View Full Version : Word Delete Not Working

marshall
09-16-2010, 8:55 AM
Just now I swyped the word "call" and the name Val was put in. I corrected it and got the annoying "hidden word" pop-up that I get all day long. I put back the name Val so could highlight it and delete it from the dictionary. I got the "are you sure" confirmation dialogue and hit OK. I then swyped "call" again and, sure enough, Val popped up again. Repeated the whole process with the same result.

This kind of thing is frustrating and time consuming. It might be faster in the long run to just use a regular keyboard. Also, although I have only been using Froyo and the new beta for few days, the overall accuracy seems to have gone down and the number of hidden word pop-ups seems to have increased greatly.

simonblackley
09-17-2010, 4:01 AM
I have never seen this behaviour (HTC Desire, Android 2.2, Swype 2.4.44.10912.t100).

Please give the developers basic information about your phone, OS and Swype build when you report a bug.

goku31640
09-18-2010, 12:52 AM
I am having the exact same problem. I keep trying to swype "to" but "tio" comes up. its pissing me off that i cant delete it. (Nexus One, Android 2.2 stock, Swype 2.4.44.10912)

ingenium
09-19-2010, 7:22 PM
I have an HTC Evo (Sense 2.2) with Swype 2.4.44.10912.t100, and I have the exact same issue. It comes up 9 times out of 10 whenever the list of possible words is shown, even after I supposedly remove a word. It's incredibly annoying that there's no way to at least hide the popup, and it happens for common words that I want in the dictionary. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but the problem persists.

Vetdoctor
09-19-2010, 9:28 PM
Evo with the same build as above, it kept inputting two "I"'s. Took me forever to get rid of it.

Also I thought there was a way to turn pdf the hidden word

leruth
09-20-2010, 4:04 PM
I'm having the double I problem too. When I swipe up from the I off the keyboard to make a capital I, it makes a capital I and a lower case i together (Ii). When I select these two characters and press the Swype key in an effort to delete that combo from the learned word list, all I get is the help screen. Not the word deletion screen.

It seems the simple solution to problems like this would be to add a way to access/modify the custom word database on the settings page. In the mean time, I'm not as lucky as Vetdoctor. I'm spending too much time correcting words that I don't want to be used at all, defeating/diminishing the purpose/utility of Swype.

Vetdoctor
09-21-2010, 4:53 AM
Hi no hI no oI no .....I got rid of the double I but the keyboard is incredibly picky about hitting the "hi" dead on. It wants anything but I. You can try deleting the double I once more, type "I"again and the double I will be first choice in the dropdown list, carefully select "I" and it will warn you you've chosen a hidden word. It may work then. I I I now find that if type I instead of swyping I it is more accurate, just hard to remember.

AdamTxPdx
09-30-2010, 4:35 PM
I am experiencing the same problem. I am unable to delete words from the dictionary. This has created a huge headache trying to enter numbers in swype. Anything other than a number causes swype to select the first suggestion. For example. Entering (xxx) xxx-xxx, I can only get to (xxx because entering the close paren will cause swype to select from dictionary. Unfortunately, I don't need that sprint picture mail email address to appear all the time.

Additionally, the double tap does not work. The word will highlight, but then I still have to press the swype button. It is faster to single tap the word and then hit the swype button. I hope the double tap feature is fixed as it was suppose to place the cursor back in the position where you left off swyping.

HTC EVO 2.2

collinszac10
10-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I am experiencing this same issue. I am trying to enter "will" and it writes out "wil". When I double click and then go to change I get the option to delete. I go through the steps of deleting, answering all the confirmation messages and the word still stays visible and I cannot select the correct word. When I go to select a new word it gives me the same delete message. I have the HTC Incredible with Android 2.2.

brian.resnik
10-03-2010, 11:52 AM
From the descriptions provided here, it sounds like you're experiencing this issue with words scraped for your contact list. I see a lot of proper names :) Wil, Val, etc. This makes sense, because even after deleting the name from your dictionary, it would be automatically added again the next time Swype analyzes your contact list for new names, which it automatically adds to your dictionary.

I'll definitely raise this issue with our developers. This is certainly not intended behavior, and we may need to do something like adding an internal list of words which have been deleted from the dictionary to make sure they are never automatically added in the future.

AdamTxPdx,

Double-tap-to-edit and cursor-restore are not available in the BETA version. This is not something we can "fix" because the features require OS-level changes in order to work. Double-tap behavior and cursor movement are determined by OS elements, NOT by the input method itself.

D1miguel
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I have this same issue. When I type single keys in Swype, typos get saved. For example: typoa and savef are incorrect words, and when I try to delete them, Swype doesn't properly get rid of it permanently, only for the current session. I'll close the keyboard, and when I reload it the typos and "erased" words are STILL there.-.-... I'm on an Evo with 2.2.

Vetdoctor
10-07-2010, 4:00 AM
Good point, yes constantly Ii get offers od....well there's one, why would "od„ be in the dictionary?

takeshi
10-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I just started searching for a relevant thread for my problem and this is the first thread I have run across. I'm also having the problem with "I" being replaced with "Ii". I can, however, delete "ii" from the dictionary but it keeps getting automatically added for some reason.

nightslide7
10-12-2010, 8:21 AM
I'm getting an o with two dots over it now which immediately turns my message into a multimedia message that won't send. I don't even have any names in my contacts that could have that symbol anywhere in their names. And when I try to delete it it doesn't even pretend to work. Scraping names from contacts has its uses but personally I think the cons outweigh the pros. I am on the HTC Incredible with Froyo.

darcet
10-12-2010, 12:14 PM
also using on a 2.2 incredible vrs 2.4.44.10912. I would love to see the contact scrubber or anything else of that sort be connected to an option in settings that lets me run it once- I have to delete a ton of names to make swype usable everytime that feature runs.

relaxer
10-13-2010, 6:33 PM
Agree. The whole concept of how Swype is dealing with custom dictionary - adding words, the horrible twisted way of trying to edit dictionary/delete words is mind boggling.
For a product that excels and I often think is psychic to be so horribly designed in the dictionary aspect is just beyond my comprehension.

Whoever thought of the popup/hiding word, making it so difficult to delete words either a)is trying to make life hard for beta users or b) is trying to sabotage Swype and ought to be working for a competitor.

NicholasName
03-12-2011, 10:29 PM
I am having the exact same problem. I keep trying to swype "to" but "tio" comes up. its pissing me off that i cant delete it. (Nexus One, Android 2.2 stock, Swype 2.4.44.10912)
Yes, I've had this same issue with Tio appearing instead of To and delete doing nothing. This happened on my HTC Hero and now on my HTC Desire HD. It is really annoying.

rob.boehm
03-16-2011, 7:16 PM
you should be able to delete contact names in the latest version on Swype. Just tested out on my device. If this is not working please let us know and be sure to include the information requested in the posting guidelines. http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?994-POSTING-GUIDELINES-READ-ME-FIRST-Get-BETA-for-Android-troubleshooting-help

Vetdoctor
03-17-2011, 4:09 PM
you should be able to delete contact names in the latest version on Swype. Just tested out on my device. If this is not working please let us know and be sure to include the information requested in the posting guidelines. http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?994-POSTING-GUIDELINES-READ-ME-FIRST-Get-BETA-for-Android-troubleshooting-help

EXCELLENT! I'll just download that Beta-bad boy to my Evo and. . . oooh, I forgot. "Thank you" Sprint for bringing Swype to my phone officially, now I'll never see another update as long as I live. (No, not interested in rooting).