PDA

View Full Version : "'Hidden' Word" Tip Notification

sthwype
09-15-2010, 6:41 PM
I use a lot of user-entered words in my day-to-day phone typing (or should I say "Swyping?") and there are times that I try to type a word already in the Swype dictionary and it thinks I'm trying to type one of my custom words. I then slide across my desired word on the word menu to select it. However, every single time this happens, I get the notification window telling me that "the word [I] just entered was 'hidden' by the word that was previously added to your Swype dictionary..."

I'm hoping I'm going to look like an idiot and someone is going to tell me where in the menu the option to turn this off is; however I've searched many times and I think my request is better posed as "Can there please be an option to turn this off?"

Thanks!

freedompeace
09-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Also, if I'm allowed to add feature requests here, disabling automatically entering words into the custom dictionary would be very nice. I (would) type many single-use words that I would never use again, and I'd rather that I have to manually add those words to the dictionary rather than have 1,000 words added. Adding on to this, a feature to view the current custom dictionary (and to delete these words) would be awesome as well.

marshall
09-16-2010, 6:21 AM
It seems to that I am getting the hidden work pop-up much more in the new beta. Today I actually had it tell me that the work if was hidden by the word of! I would suggest an option of doing away with the pop-up tip and replacing it with some kind of indicator that can just be ignored if one chooses while continuing to swype.

Additionally I am constantly getting the word "work" hidden by "woel". I never enter woel and even after I delete it it keeps coming back.

JeffreyTz
10-01-2010, 7:04 AM
This is my #1 (and only, I think!) complaint with Swype - the hidden word "tip" pops up so often now it's getting ridiculous. There needs to be an option to turn this off. Ideally there would be an option to:

a) completely turn off the notification

b) remind you the first time a particular word was hidden, but after that it never fires again

c) as is, "verbose mode" :)

If there can only be one, please make it "disable" (a).

Thanks!!!

JT

Mr Rough
10-02-2010, 8:53 PM
Disabling the notice gets my vote, big time.

alanjrobertson
10-03-2010, 8:17 AM
Ditto - I've actually moved away to Swiftkey after the latest beta as I was getting so annoyed with the 'hidden word' popup - it take a bit to get out of the way of Swyping things though!

brian.resnik
10-03-2010, 8:58 AM
Hey folks,

Thanks for the feedback. The "hidden word" popup is an ongoing issue for us that is, unfortunately, not too high on the priority list. We've just added a bunch of new staff, though, so if all goes according to plan we'll have more time and energy to give to some of these types of issues.

The hidden word dialog is an annoyance for all of us staffers, too, so you can trust that we'll be addressing it as soon as we're able to! Not sure if it'll be an option to disable the feature entirely, have it display one time for each hidden word only, or some other solution, but it'll be something, I promise :)

gagz135
10-05-2010, 8:09 AM
I think it's about time to move the "hidden word" popup near the top of the list. The people who use the program are on top of things, technologically speaking, and seldom need this warning. Being the same tech-wise people, we also know that there are other options out there for convenient keyboards. I already know for a fact that Swype has lost users over this issue. It can't be marketed as the fastest way to type if it's constantly hindered by its own software.

drsoum
10-06-2010, 4:38 AM
Swype has been a very mature product from day one. Indeed, I can't think of a feature that's missing. It was going well until the most recent update, where two things happened. The first is that the stored words get higher precedence, even without the hidden word menu. The second, of course, is the horrible hidden word popup. I find that deleting the word I am trying to Swype and doing it again is quicker. So I want to add my voice to the crowd that this should be fixed as soon as possible.

cdb2322
10-06-2010, 9:33 AM
This is my #1 (and only, I think!) complaint with Swype - the hidden word "tip" pops up so often now it's getting ridiculous. There needs to be an option to turn this off. Ideally there would be an option to:

b) remind you the first time a particular word was hidden, but after that it never fires again

Thanks!!!

JT

What he/she said!! ^^^^

Only complaint!

==> Re-arrange your priorities to address the only complaint that 80% of SWYPE users agree on.

spbrereton
10-06-2010, 9:56 AM

Thanks!!!

JT

I raised this before we moved to the new forums, and this is by far the most rational and sensible post in terms of offering possible fixes. Please can we get this ASAP.

ak123456
10-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I've been using Swype since the beta became available for the HTC Incredible. Since I installed the latest beta this has been a HUGE headache. It is so bad that it caused me to try out other keyboards. Adding an option to disable that window from coming up would be a huge win for Swype and relatively inexpensive to implement. PLEASE FIX THIS BEFORE THE NEXT BETA!!!

nathanieltan
10-09-2010, 7:43 PM
Agree strongly.

It's *extremely* disappointing to read that 'oh, this isn't a priority for us' when clearly so many of us feel that is

a) by far the NUMBER ONE irritant on an otherwise cool app

(we can deal w/swype not understanding words, getting spelling wrong, etc. we accept that's hard to do and can live with the current work arounds. but this?? so clearly within Swype's control??)

b) reason enough to dump Swype and switch to other keyboards.

We may not be techies, but for the life of me, I can't see how this would be hard to fix. Just stop the damn window from popping up. IT DRIVES US NUTS!

Your prompt attention most greatly appreciated indeed.

thanks

Katmuch
10-10-2010, 6:42 PM
Dead on perfect summary, freedompeace. Agreed that those would be perfect extra benefits.

For my own comment, I would add I'm astonished that swype thinks the "hidden word" pop-up is a low priority item. It completely slows up use of the software and renders THE key benefit of swype moot. Advertising the primary benefit of one's product as "speed", and then putting up virtually constant roadblocks like "hidden word" reminders, is equivalent to Porsche building cars that have to pull over and come to a stop every time one shifts gears.

It's free software so I can't demand it, but IT is a HUGE problem with an otherwise great product that I'd encourage you guys to fix ASAP. I personally have switched back to the stock keyboard until this gets resolved. Good Luck!

Also, if I'm allowed to add feature requests here, disabling automatically entering words into the custom dictionary would be very nice. I (would) type many single-use words that I would never use again, and I'd rather that I have to manually add those words to the dictionary rather than have 1,000 words added. Adding on to this, a feature to view the current custom dictionary (and to delete these words) would be awesome as well.

aswaine
10-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm finding the hidden word pop up to be as irritating as everyone else -- especially when it causes the focus on the text box to be lost in some applications...

Better solution: when I do a long press on one of the words in the suggestions box, it should give me an option to remove it from the dictionary. Arguably, it should give me this option even if it wasn't a word I added (albeit possibly with a warning first) but it should definitely let me get rid of words I added this way.

Make the swype button flash when the hidden word pop up would have been shown, and if you press the swype button at this point, explain that a long press will give you an option to get rid of the word.

The current mechanism for deleting a word from the dictionary (which requires highlighting the word in the text) is counterintuitive -- if it's a word that shouldn't be in the dictionary, why should I have to intentionally type it first? The logical thought process is to see it turn up in the options list, decide that it probably ought not to be there, make it go away in future, and then get on with whatever I was entering.

Don't add any new menu options for this unless absolutely necessary. The only one that might be useful would be an option to highlight in some way which words have been added automatically, and which words were part of the original dictionary (it might be useful as an option because otherwise the highlighting might confuse some users). But an option to disable an annoying pop-up is a workaround rather than a piece of good design in my view.

brat-sampson
10-13-2010, 1:15 AM
Just to say I came over to the forums just to see if there was any info on this exact issue. Personally I use an SMS popup app which I find very useful for swiftly responding to texts without having to go through, unlock the phone (HTC Desire) go through the menus etc, however whenever this tip pops up then after removing it I have to go through the whole procedure anyway. I'd add my voice to the crowd suggesting that tip notification in general but *specifically* this one really quite desperately needs a quick patch. Other than that I'm a very happy Swyper and have to admit I probably wont swap back to another input method regardless because I'm used to this now, but still. Very irritating.

staticfive
10-14-2010, 9:13 AM
Seeeeriously. This is so annoying, because it's completely counter-intuitive to the way that swype should work. Swype is supposed to be fast. Swype is supposed to be transparent. This tip is slow, obtrusive, and annoying, and completely unnecessary.

On that note, WHY ISN'T THERE A DELETE BUTTON ON THIS TIP?? If you're telling me the most viable solution to having it not hide a dictionary word is to manually re-enter the word and hit the swype key... then this needs to be fixed. A, entering the words and hitting swype doesn't work, and B, this is laborious, because Swype learns literally everything you type, even words with errors that I misspelled when I knew I was going to enter something custom.

Final gripe... Why, when I disable the tips window, does it still pop up at all? Why can't it just blink the blue box around the keyboard instead of showing me something I've seen 1000 times already?

I apologize if my tone is a bit agitated, but I came here and registered because I was frustrated when it did this to me 3 times in the same text message. The early versions of Swype didn't have this problem.

markstevens20
10-15-2010, 6:02 AM
Adding my voice to this feature request. I'm actively looking for an alternative keyboard. Looking forward to see what Google will do with BlindType.

Just2Sour
10-16-2010, 5:10 PM
I registered just so I can add to this complaint. The popup becomes HIGHLY irritating. It also causes me to add incorrect fragments more often because at the speeds I'm swyping, the popup would appear as I'm part way swyping my next word. Make us happy -- push the priority!

Leodoc
10-18-2010, 7:19 PM
Adding to this. AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN!

This annoyance is putrid to say the least. MOVE IT UP ON THE PRIORITY LIST! cmon guys...great product but this is an absolute backbreaker. Now started using SlideIT just to see it...that shouldn't happen. Your product should lock people in...not push them away.

Oesten Sapp Nelson
10-19-2010, 4:46 AM
I totally agree. This is my only complaint about Swype, but is an absolutely huge issue. Here's the email I tried composing to Swype before getting redirected to the forums:

I love swype, but the "Hidden Word" window is driving me up the wall. Any time I type in a "standard" word that is superseded by one of my custom words, once I select the standard word, I get a window popping up that tells me that the word I wanted was hidden, and how to delete the custom word that I added to the dictionary. This then causes problems, like gmail not searching email addresses beginning with that word and providing a drop-down to select the word I want - instead, I get an additional 2 error windows telling me the email address I selected is invalid. I don't want to delete my custom word, and I don't mind selecting the "standard" word that has been hidden. But the "Hidden Word" dialog is driving me up the wall, and I can't turn it off!

To reproduce this:
Swype: 2.4.44.10912.t100
Device: Nexus One

Procedure:
Create the word "Horan", and add it to the custom dictionary
Go to Gmail.
In the "To:" field, enter the word "Joan"; if you enter it a certain way (close to "Horan"), a word selection dialog starts, with "Horan" at the top
Select "Joan"
The Swype hidden word dialog starts; select "back", then "OK" twice for the recipient error. Try to fix the recipient error by clicking on the To: field again, and typing in the next letter of the contact.

Net effect: 6-7 extra clicks

Thanks,
Oesten

migr13250385
10-20-2010, 8:03 AM
Yeah, this will be one of the reason that I might uninstall swype from my device.. The way swype manages custom words and add contact name automatically (from facebook/phone, etc, and to make it worse these words won't be able to be removed) really drives me crazy.. And with the popup.. ARGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree. This is my only complaint about Swype, but is an absolutely huge issue. Here's the email I tried composing to Swype before getting redirected to the forums:

I love swype, but the "Hidden Word" window is driving me up the wall. Any time I type in a "standard" word that is superseded by one of my custom words, once I select the standard word, I get a window popping up that tells me that the word I wanted was hidden, and how to delete the custom word that I added to the dictionary. This then causes problems, like gmail not searching email addresses beginning with that word and providing a drop-down to select the word I want - instead, I get an additional 2 error windows telling me the email address I selected is invalid. I don't want to delete my custom word, and I don't mind selecting the "standard" word that has been hidden. But the "Hidden Word" dialog is driving me up the wall, and I can't turn it off!

To reproduce this:
Swype: 2.4.44.10912.t100
Device: Nexus One

Procedure:
Create the word "Horan", and add it to the custom dictionary
Go to Gmail.
In the "To:" field, enter the word "Joan"; if you enter it a certain way (close to "Horan"), a word selection dialog starts, with "Horan" at the top
Select "Joan"
The Swype hidden word dialog starts; select "back", then "OK" twice for the recipient error. Try to fix the recipient error by clicking on the To: field again, and typing in the next letter of the contact.

Net effect: 6-7 extra clicks

Thanks,
Oesten

Guhoya94
10-21-2010, 3:38 PM
I also logged in simply to add my voice to the need for this feature to be able to be turned off. I have recommended this to my many droid friends and have helped a few switch to the built in version but I am close to finding something else until this is fixed as it completely slows me down.

Otherwise I really love swype.

londubh
10-22-2010, 5:56 AM
Seconding the request for accessibility to the swype dictionary to remove words. Also, to disable the notifications.

seanvolt
10-22-2010, 4:53 PM
I just registered to say that the hidden tip notification is incredibly annoying to me as well. please have a setting to disable it, DO NOT make me have to turn it off for each unique custom word either. that's a horrible idea! and yes, this needs to be pushed up the priority list.

Hate_Hidden_Word
10-23-2010, 9:11 AM
In my office, there 15+ people who have asked me (the tech guy) to find a solution and I keep telling them "it's coming". I find it ULTRA annoying as well. It can't be too hard to shut off, please, please, please fix this. We are all loyal swypers! Don't let this turn into HiddenWordGate! Please!

Donovan Niesen
10-23-2010, 1:24 PM
Adding another complaint.

Creating a simple toggle for this pop-up is trivial and will avoid people switching to an alternate keyboard or continuing to blame Swype. Let's see the response to the numerous complaints to show how much Swype cares about its users.

kilkhanipour
10-24-2010, 3:57 PM
I too created an account simply to voice my frustration with this feature. I also agree that it seems to be trivial and issuing a fix shouldn't take such a long time. Also, when the fix does get released, I have a Droid X so how do I go about installing it? Will it be an .apk file?

kilkhanipour
10-25-2010, 8:05 PM
bump...can we at least get word from the developers? it's been quite a while since we've heard anything and frankly, I have no idea why it's not high up on the priority list. its annoyance alone warrants it to be #1. i hope i'm not sounding too ungrateful (because i'm not) but at least updates of the matter shouldn't be too much to ask for.

rob.boehm
10-25-2010, 8:52 PM
This is a well known and documented issue with the functionality of Swype: http://forum.swype.com/search.php?searchid=9471

The issue is 2 fold.

First; words automatically added by by Swype from your contact list, browser history, chat history, etc... are being entered in at a higher priority than default words. This is being fixed in the next distribution that will be released ... shortly.

Second; Overall management of the dictionary, what to do with hidden words, and how notification should be displayed needs a major overhaul. This won't take place until "Swype 2.0" which won't be finalized for quite some time.

gagz135
10-26-2010, 5:25 AM
I've uninstalled Swype completely because of this issue. I voiced my opinion on the first page of this forum, and it's now on page three of different individuals complaining of the same thing. It's apparent that retaining your current users is not important to you.

I won't use Swype again and have discouraged friends from installing it, and given them the "I told you so" treatment when they complain.

The point of Swype, I thought, is speed. The pop up hinders this goal completely.

ugxvibe
10-26-2010, 8:08 PM
Dude, come on, its not that bad. Swype rocks and I find that without it I don't even want to type!

evilwombat
10-27-2010, 4:14 PM
Assigning higher weights to contacts is not the problem. Constantly showing the hidden word popup for regular words, on the other hand, is. I would HIGHLY suggest that a way of disabling that annoying popup be elevated to top development priority. Why? It very quickly makes the product useless. I cannot write a single sentence without that stupid popup telling me that some word is "hiding" some other word. Correcting it isn't hard but the popup is extremely disruptive.

Forget dictionary word management for now; just add an option to disable the popup. You cannot expect people to believe you when you say that it is very difficult to add a boolean option to the settings menu and NOT display a popup if this option is checked. The same goes for not automatically adding words to the user dictionary, but for now let's settle for basic usability over something more polished.

Swype was nice when I installed it, but it picked up so many useless "non-words" (which were the result of correcting previous errors) that the popup is enough to severely disrupt the text entry process. Furthermore, today I got a notification that something was hidden by the word "view". I highly doubt this came from the user dictionary.

I would encourage you to listen to the comments from your user base. I've never posted here before and this is a big enough deal to warrant creating an account on this forum, clicking the link in the email, etc.

Thank you.

This is a well known and documented issue with the functionality of Swype: http://forum.swype.com/search.php?searchid=9471

Second; Overall management of the dictionary, what to do with hidden words, and how notification should be displayed needs a major overhaul. This won't take place until "Swype 2.0" which won't be finalized for quite some time.

rob.boehm
10-27-2010, 4:59 PM
evilwombat, just wanted to re-iterate a few thoughts that mostly have been said here before but at the same time I don't want to sound like a broken record. I think a lot of the frustration that Swype fans like yourself have over the current state of the beta is a misconception about the goals of the beta. I also believe that this is because many companies simply misuse the term "beta". Beta has basically morphed into meaning "new". Several companies simply roll out new products into production and slap the word beta on it because it's a fancy buzz word. But the fact is, it's not beta, it's production and with production you should expect a polished product.

The Swype beta as it stands is really a development preview. It's nothing much more than the latest stable version that's proven to not reboot your phone if you literally rub it the wrong way. It's a new version released to our fans about once ever 3 months so they can check out the current status of Swype development. I can't stress enough that this is NOT a production version of Swype. I hope you don't take offence when we put our full focus on ensuring the best customer experience on the production versions of Swype that is rolled out through the manufacturers and carriers which we hold OEM contracts with.

However at the same time I also want to make clear that we do listen to the comments from our beta testers. Testers who are kind enough to check out the current state of the development version and take the time out of their lives to provide us with valuable feedback. This is why, as Brian stated in another post, that we're rolling out another version of the beta much, MUCH, earlier than regularly scheduled. There's a lot of internal QA going on right now to make sure that your phone doesn't crash when you swype the wrong web address, or corrupt your contact list if you swype the wrong name.

We hope to get this out to everybody sooner rather than later. Just be a weee bit more patient. And again thanks for your interest and time in checking out the beta.

sagamore
10-30-2010, 5:41 PM
In the Hidden Word tip notification box, please SHOW THE CHOSEN WORD THAT IS SUSPECT for deletion along with a DELETE BUTTON to remove that suspect word from the dictionary.

Without that, we must now:

1. Interrupt our work.
2. Remember what the suspect word was. (This is not easy because we are thinking about something else, and the suspect word is often misspelled gibberish, and we never want to see it again anyway.)
3. Re-type the suspect word.
4. Switch to highlight mode and highlight it.
5. Click the Swype button to delete it.
6. Go back to what we were working on.

After more than 3 months Swyping, I am having a lot of trouble imagining what other issue could be higher priority than the Hidden Word tip notification. This is the only problem that I have found with an otherwise wonderful product. Like others, I joined this forum only to speak up on this issue. I have read this entire thread and agree with every word -- except the stuff by an Administrator saying that this is way low on the priority list. Imagine all the people are frustrated with this but did not bother to find this forum, register, and say something. (It takes a bit of time when that Hidden Word thing pops up five times while writing this!) Make that 6.

brian.resnik
10-30-2010, 9:37 PM
Hey Sagamore,

While the hidden-word popup definitely needs to be reworked - and will be in the future - the frequency of the tip is actually indicative of a larger problem with word ranking priority, and less a problem with the tip itself. The September update introduced a bug with our word prediction algorithm AND how words are ranked, both when initially added, and after choosing words for the word choice window. These issues are being addressed, because they effect much more than frequency of the hidden word tip, while redesigning the hidden word dialog is being put, since it's only marginally annoying as opposed to completely infuriating, when it only shows up as often as originally intended.

As Rob said above, we hear you, and we know this needs to be addressed, but we have limited resources to work with and are addressing what we feel to be the real source of the problems with the hidden word dialog.

Thanks!

sagamore
10-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks, Brian. I appreciate that you're concerned with the underlying problem of why the Hidden Word tip shows up too often. And I understand that your resources are limited.

But even if the Hidden Word tip comes up only rarely, it would be very helpful to show right in the tip box the word that Swype thinks the user might want deleted from the dictionary (after all, it's that word that caused the tip to appear in the first place), along with a DELETE button. That would save the user a lot of steps, as I listed above. And until the eventual underlying fix you're thinking about is implemented, the showing of the word with a DELETE key would be all the more helpful when the tip shows up too often.

The current process is so cumbersome that my dictionary is filled with all sorts of words (wiuld, thje, and I don't remember what else) that I have not gotten around to typing-highlighting-deleting. The main problem is that I don't remember the spelling of these non-words after I have corrected them while doing the real work that I was trying to do.

While we're waiting for the be-all/end-all fix to the underlying problem, this quick fix would make the current situation a lot more tolerable.

brian.resnik
10-31-2010, 9:20 AM
What if the underlying fix would be in your hands sooner than if we just added that to the hidden-word window? :P

sagamore
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Brian,
If the underlying fix came first, then the annoyance of the hidden-word window would occur less frequently -- but I'll still have a backlog of gibberish words in my dictionary that I probably won't have bothered to clean out because it's too tedious to do so.

I won't be complaining -- how could I, given that it's a free product and otherwise wonderful?

Thje painn wiuld br less, thoufh. ;-)

brian.resnik
11-01-2010, 10:31 AM
No you won't, 'cause each update wipes your custom dictionary ^_^ (not that that's a GOOD thing, buuuuut the point remains heh)

unconed
11-02-2010, 1:31 PM
It is baffling to me that this issue would be low priority. The entire "tips" pop up needs to be scrapped and redesigned, and this is a huge usability problem.

1) It's a big, ugly, black window that looks virtually the same every time it pops up, even though it is supposed to be context-sensitive.
2) 99% of the time, the popup tells you something useless or dumb, ensuring nobody pays attention to it anyway.
3) It's modal and interrupts whatever you're trying to do, ensuring people have a negative reaction to it.

And all this because of hidden word. You guys do realize that what Swype is doing is essentially this, right:

<user> I'm typing a message to my friend.
<Swype> I don't know what word you mean. Did you mean <this word you typed 5 years ago and never used since> or <common word you use 100 times a day>?
<user> No, you idiotic program, I meant the common word. *SWYPE*
<Swype> I see! I got it wrong. Oh boy, don't I feel stupid. Good thing I won't ever, ever, ever learn from this mistake. Ever. And let me just interrupt you and tell you why that is, instead of just doing the right thing.
<user> FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

brian.resnik
11-02-2010, 7:09 PM
unconed,

I think you misunderstand. It's not that it's a low priority, it's that it requires a major redesign of the feature, like you say, and our resources are more efficiently used fixing deeper underlying problems right now. A major rework of hidden word pop up IS something we're working on, just not yet :)

evilwombat
11-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Dear Swype developers,
The hidden word feature is hugely annoying and very much detracts from the usability of a fantastic product. I keep getting that popup over stupid things, like every captcha I've ever typed, every highway name/number, every weirdly-spelled name, every typo, correction, smearing your finger on the screen, and even common words that should have already been in the dictionary (such as view, gear, etc).

Let's be constructive here. The underlying problem isn't the ranking algorithm or even the hidden word popup. The underlying problem is that Swype tries to learn every single thing that is typed, which is fundamentally the wrong thing to do. I don't know if the heuristics can be tuned or rankings adjusted, but we are not even asking for anything like that. All we want is an option to turn off learning new words, period. Just completely stop adding ANY new words to the user dictionary if a checkmark is set in the options menu. This is not a difficult thing to implement and should take a minuscule amount of development effort. You have a good user base who like your product, but they are being driven to have a negative reaction to the product based on one feature that cannot be turned off. One of the bigger software annoyances comes from times when a piece of software tries to be helpful and fails at it, which is what is happening here.

In practice, it turns out that the Swype user dictionary is far less helpful than one might expect, and has the unfortunate side effect easily becoming polluted through normal use, typos, captchas, etc. I have been using Swype extensively and would be willing to share my dictionary with you, to show you just how bad the pollution can be. Besides, Android already has a user dictionary and we can add words to it manually if we want. In the meantime, it would be fantastic if you could just take the last beta build and add the 5 lines of code to it that would allow us to disable the word-learning feature. We aren't asking for the next release packed with new mega doses of mega-awesome, but a small and simple change. It can be done very quickly, and users would receive an instant solution to their woes, instead of waiting months for a more complicated (and potentially less elegant) solution to this problem.

Please. Add an option to disable automatically adding things to the user dictionary. It will make the product more appealing and will make your user base love you so much more.

Thank you
evilwombat

In the meantime, I wonder if it's possible to write an app to clean out the user dictionary every night.

Edit to add: What are the privacy implications of a user dictionary that is automatically populated? It will effectively become a form of a keylogger for all weird things that are entered, which may include sensitive information. We can already manually add things to the dictionary using the Swype key, which is all the less reason to do it automatically on every word.

Saiboogu
11-04-2010, 7:04 AM
... and it looks like I was hardly the first.

To address a few apparent misunderstandings on behalf of brian.resnik

1) Its "beta." Sure -- I could completely understand the logic in that post if this issue were only present in the beta. But guess what -- I'm using a production release of Swype, delivered to me in the latest update (JI6) to my Samsung Vibrant. If you search, you might find a beta account in my name -- but I'm not using it, this is a major oversight in the production software.
2) It's a bug. OK -- Maybe there are mistakes in the heuristics. But they aren't the major issue, just a contributing factor. The major issue is a poor design choice in the popup window and the solution is, like many here have said, making it properly respect the "Do Not Show" property of the tips window.
3) It's a major production to fix it. No -- Sorry. Perhaps the software engineers have told you this -- it wouldn't surprise me. If that's the case, start escalating it over their heads. They're being lazy. Or they are stubbornly clinging to point 2 and burying their heads in the prediction engine code. Adding an "if ... then" statement to the generation of the popup, that forced it to follow a "do not show" option in settings is a 5 minute task. Few hours if you add some Q&A -- but then, that's what the beta testers are here for, right? :)

Besides those bullet points, I think evilwombat is on to something -- the user dictionary shouldn't be auto generated from every single source you can get your hands on, and even if you disagree and leave some autogeneration enabled, there absolutely must be an option to disable it.

Please show some sign of progress on this. The unfortunate fact is I haven't seen any good alternatives to Swype yet. If I do before this problem is fixed, though...

evilwombat
11-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Ditto on the "no major production to fix" comment. Android makes it very easy to add options/checkboxes to your settings menu. Adding words to the dictionary is more work than NOT adding them. So, I would not be surprised if the option to not auto-update the dictionary took up no more than 5 lines of code. It might be 3 lines to add the new checkbox item and 2 more lines to only add the word to the dictionary if that item is checked.

I am actually playing around with the idea of using Titanium Backup to save Swype's userdata shortly after installing and then scheduling a batch job to restore this data every night. This would keep the user dictionary from growing, and effectively keep that hidden word popup from showing up. This would be a gratuitously ugly solution to the problem, which would restore ALL Swype settings to what they were when the backup was made, but it may work. I can post some results later.

brian.resnik
11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Hey folks,

I'd like to start this post by linking you all to an amazing blog post written by one of the developers at Microsoft, called "How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a light-bulb." Take a read through this - at the very least look at the bulleted list - and you'll get a general understanding of how things work when you're dealing with a corporate infrastructure. This is not meant to be a direct correlation, just a vague example of the challenges faced by a production-level company: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2003/10/28/53298.aspx

With that said, I can say again that this is definitely something on our to-do list. A "master shutoff option" is certainly something we would consider for a future release - it's definitely an easy "fix" compared to some of the other solutions we have out there - but again the overriding problem is one of man-hours. Right now we have a staff of around 50 people working on contracts with at least 6 different OEMs, covering over 35 different languages, each with their own set of constantly changing demands on our time. Even in the best case scenario, where lots of code gets shared between projects, that's a pretty high demand on our developers. As I've stated before, we're constantly hiring new devs, and have shifted our focus in regards to how much focus we want to put on our BETA program.

I know how frustrating it is to feel that an amicable solution is around the corner and see what appears to be no movement in that direction. I've spent plenty of hours myself in the past looking at various companies and feeling like I'm banging my head against the wall screaming "The answer is right there in front of you if you'd just LISTEN!" Well, we're listening. I'M listening. And your concerns and ideas don't go unheard with the boys in Seattle. If you haven't been following the twitter/blog news, we have an update coming very soon which will address - in part at least - this issue. We're also revving up our beta program to release more updates more frequently, so you shouldn't have to wait another 3 months for the next release. Trust me when I say that we hear you, we understand you, and we WILL figure out the best way to get these issues taken care of for you.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with one of our lead developers, and got official confirmation that as soon as this pending update is released and the hullabaloo calms down - and I've gotten myself moved from my current residence in NYC to our new office in Raleigh, NC - we'll be sitting down to hash out a plan of attack for this and related issues. So, this entire issue is compounded by the fact that it's not just a single feature that is causing the problems. Some shortcomings in at least 3 different aspects of Swype are all contributing to this: hidden-word dialog and a lack of "remove now" and "ignore forever" options; dictionary control and insufficient methods for managing it; automatic dictionary word generation and the fact that users can't control how/when it's used. Once Andrew - the dev in question - gets back from paternity leave (he's having a kid on Monday! Whoo!) and I get through the current beta update and moved down to NC, this will be one of the first things that Andrew and I sit down together and address in a serious way. You'll likely see our first steps (if not the entire solution) in our following update (late december, or january perhaps?). I've got your back on this one, folks :)

tc4101
11-04-2010, 6:13 PM
wow and i thought i was the only one annoyed by this stupid popup every second word i type.... untill it gets changed i wont be using swype. i been using HTC predictive word and it feels great to type that way again. i can't wait for blind type to come out actually.... bye bye swype, nice idea but there are better things out there

brian.resnik
11-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm going to lock this thread with these final thoughts:

The Hidden-Word frequency, design, and implementation are a known shortcoming for our September update, and in other versions.
Resources are limited and will be directed to resolving this issue at the earliest possible opportunity
I encourage users to try the forthcoming update which will significantly reduce the appearance frequency of the hidden word window
The experience you have with any particular version of Swype - especially the BETA - does not necessarily reflect the average user's experience, as code-base, settings, and implementation can vary greatly from device to device.
Again, we will be addressing this at the earliest possible chance
And incase anyone's concerned, I'm going to sticky this thread in addition to locking it, to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

I just got off the phone with one of our lead developers, and got official confirmation that as soon as this pending update is released and the hullabaloo calms down - and I've gotten myself moved from my current residence in NYC to our new office in Raleigh, NC - we'll be sitting down to hash out a plan of attack for this and related issues. So, this entire issue is compounded by the fact that it's not just a single feature that is causing the problems. Some shortcomings in at least 3 different aspects of Swype are all contributing to this: hidden-word dialog and a lack of "remove now" and "ignore forever" options; dictionary control and insufficient methods for managing it; automatic dictionary word generation and the fact that users can't control how/when it's used. Once Andrew - the dev in question - gets back from paternity leave (he's having a kid on Monday! Whoo!) and I get through the current beta update and moved down to NC, this will be one of the first things that Andrew and I sit down together and address in a serious way. You'll likely see our first steps (if not the entire solution) in our following update (late december, or january perhaps?). I've got your back on this one, folks :)

EDIT 2/17/2011: I can now confirm that the Hidden Word notification window has been completely removed from all future versions of Swype. Next beta update is coming soon. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

rob.boehm
10-31-2011, 1:24 PM
Removing Post as Sticky. :-)