PDA

View Full Version : Droid X Beta

Gregory
09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Swype came preloaded on the Droid X, which means that it can't run the new Swype. Is there any way to release a version for those of us who want to try the new version? Like, we can't replace the old Swype, but we can have a special solution that lets us run them side by side? I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to do, and I really want the new beta.

An example is how you can run Firefox and Minefield (beta Firefox) at the same time.

brian.resnik
09-14-2010, 7:40 PM
Unfortunately, because Swype is a system service and not an enclosed application, this isn't possible.

db94wookie
09-16-2010, 5:46 AM
What about those of us who have rooted our phones? I know we can uninstall swype from /system/app, I did it by accident when I was removing skype and accidentally typed swype.

Would it then be possible to use the beta? I gather that the beta doesn't have the microphone key, but for me that would be a perk as I don't use that and often hit it by accident, which is a several second delay as it starts up and then I have to cancel it and bring up the Swype keyboard again.

I'd really like to use the beta, as I hear it has the issue with the backspace key not working correctly in terminal emulators like ConnectBot fixed. It's a minor annoyance to have to switch to the stock keyboard just to be able to use ConnectBot, then switch back for everything else.

I guess I could wait for Motorola to release a fix for it, but then again, I'm still waiting for OTA FroYo.