PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or Swype September Update is not as accurate as previous?

elommal
09-14-2010, 4:00 AM
I wonder if anyone experience this. I find myself having to correct Swype more often as it fails to predicts what I wrote. Try "are" or anything I wrote on this post.

I have tried sliding the Speed vs. Accuracy left and right but I didn't see any noticeable change yet.

Previously, Swype was incredibly accurate that at times I find it spooky as it kind of recognised my style. Any comments are much appreciated.

MrObvious
09-14-2010, 5:10 PM
I'm getting that too. I had to disable Swype for now.

brian.resnik
09-14-2010, 7:57 PM
I like to call this the "ignorance is bliss" effect. Swype has a learning component to it, so you'll find that as you use it your accuracy increases significantly. It's not noticeable when it's happening, because it happens over time. But when you lose it, it's fairly obvious. Give it time to relearn your habits, and you'll be set!

MrObvious
09-15-2010, 1:31 AM
I don't know. It's really not accurate it seems because I may swype something and get something completely different. Also I noticed the trace doesn't seem to follow my finger as fluidly and it takes a bit to catch up some times. I really notice this when I try to do a loop for a double letter. It just acts like I slid over the letter instead of doing a loop like it's laggy and not getting all the input. I'm on a Droid Eris on a Froyo custom ROM.

scotjn1
09-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm also very disappointed with the accuracy of the September update. Even before "learning", the last Beta version was 100X more accurate right after installation than this version is. I absolutely fell in love with my original install within a couple hours of practice and use, but I cannot get the hang of this update to save my life. I've moved my speed vs. accuracy slider all around, and I can't even get a simple "Hello world" to work correctly. It's usually "Help works" or "Help world", but sometimes I don't even get reasonable words ("Help sprog" anyone?). Double letters seem particularly impossible on any word. I might have to disable completely, and the Swype detox will be difficult!

MrObvious
09-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Elommal and Scotjn1 what phone and ROM are you running?

scotjn1
09-15-2010, 1:19 PM
Elommal and Scotjn1 what phone and ROM are you running?

I have a Droid Eris w/ the 2.1 OTA update, rooted (not a custom ROM)

kvell13
09-16-2010, 7:22 AM
I am also using the Droid Eris and have noticed the same lack of accuracy. I agree that the last version started out at a much higher accuracy rate and at this pace, I may be too frustrated to allow time for it to 'learn' my style. I can't even type simple sentences at this point without having to resort to tapping each individual letter. Very disappointing :(

MrObvious
09-16-2010, 10:06 AM
It may be a problem with the Droid Eris.

Darthmingo
09-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm have the same problems:

Very inaccurate- Spells out words that weren't even close to what I tried to swype.
Seems like the tracer line is lagging- rarely will spell out double letters.
A lot of words that swype is spelling out aren't even words, when i hi-light the word and hit the Swype Function it ask me if I'm sure I want to delete the word. As if I had the word already added the swype dictionary.

I'm going to try to find the previous version of swype which was awesome. If I can't find it then I'll probably not use swype until a new update is out as this new beta version is too slow on my phone now.

HTC Hero
Android 2.1
Not rooted

Maris_
09-16-2010, 1:13 PM
I would have to agree. From the very start of using Swype in the past, I had no trouble with the words being correct. I have been through other updates, but this is the first one that is a fail. I too am having problems getting anything near the word I am swyping to appear. I have a Nexus One, not rooted, on 2.2. I've used swype since it first became available for beta on the Nexus. This is more than just that it needs to "learn" everything again ... it just plain fails. It is so frustrating when it used to be the very best keyboard out there. I also have moved that accuracy/speed slider everywhere, but nothing helps. And, as others have mentioned, the trailing doesn't match where I aim. Something is seriously flawed in this version.

I came here because many of the Android forums I read post the same problems, so I thought I would find a solution here. I guess not. Such a shame. I hope a patch appears soon or I'll have to go back to actual typing ... uggh.

MrObvious
09-17-2010, 9:15 AM
When posting, please include the following information:
Device Make/Model Droid Eris
Wireless Carrier Verizon
Android Version (2.2 FroYo? 1.6 Donut?) Cyanogen 2.2 Kaos Froyo
ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?) See above
Are you using APPS2SD? No
Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no") Yes

MrObvious
09-17-2010, 9:13 PM
I tried uninstalling the program and installer and went to the Amon Ra bootloader and deleted my Dalvik cache and it seems better. You might try that.

scotsman
09-18-2010, 2:28 PM
I was just coming to the same conclusion after a week of using the new Beta release. It's a nightmare trying to write anything as it repeatedly returns the wrong word with no alternative versions offered, even when I carefully watch what I'm tracing. It's frustrating in the extreme; I'll try and enter some 'wrong word' details next time it happens. All I can say is that the accuracy is nowhere near as good as the previous version.

Device Make/Model: HTC Desire
Wireless Carrier: Orange
Android Version: 2.2
ROM Version: Stock
Are you a ROOT user? No

scotjn1
09-20-2010, 5:51 AM
I tried uninstalling the program and installer and went to the Amon Ra bootloader and deleted my Dalvik cache and it seems better. You might try that.

I simply wiped the Dalvik cache without uninstalling, and it seems to have fixed it completely. Swype is awesome again. Thanks MrObvious!

kvell13
09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Didn't leave my phone info when posting. Here it is:
Device Make/Model: HTC Droid Eris
Wireless Carrier: Verizon
Android Version: 2.1
Are you a ROOT user? No

And an update....I have since gotten so frustrated that I have gone back to typing. So sad!!!

I am also using the Droid Eris and have noticed the same lack of accuracy. I agree that the last version started out at a much higher accuracy rate and at this pace, I may be too frustrated to allow time for it to 'learn' my style. I can't even type simple sentences at this point without having to resort to tapping each individual letter. Very disappointing :(

MrObvious
09-20-2010, 2:35 PM
You're welcome. It's such a simple fix.

archfiend997
09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi, I also have an Eris (specs below) and am also experiencing dramatic difficulties with the new beta version of Swype. The accuracy is terrible; I'll Swype "That's" and get "Tgard". What the heck is Tgard? That's not a word!!

Not only is the accuracy of Swype way off now, I am even having system problems; For one, everytime I reboot my phone, I have to re-enable Swype, it just disables on reboot for some reason. In addition, as soon as I use Swype for the first time since re-enabling, the sense-like previews in ADW Launcher stop working. Not sure if there's a connection there, but I've rebooted several times and the sense previews don't seem to work right after I use Swype.

I also sometimes see general instability and slow system response since the Swype update. My phone use to be consistently stable and fast, and now (occasionally) it's a pain in arse. Things just break sometimes (Android System force closes occasionally, and ADW force closes at least a couple times a day). I have made no changes to the phone except the Swype update.

I'm begging the Swype team, please let us go back to the original beta version!! It does look like lots of Eris users are having problems, but this is still a very popular phone, and the Swype developers should respect that and make the necessary changes. I'd pay good $$$ for the original Swype beta.

Lastly, I tried clearing the Dalvik cache, that fixed nothing.

Device Make/Model: HTC Droid Eris
Android Version: Cyanogen 2.2 KaosFroyo
ROM Version: v32
Are you using APPS2SD? Yes, but Swype is not on SD
Are you a ROOT user? Yes

d0gd0g
09-22-2010, 4:08 PM
The new beta is awful. (Evo, 2.2 rooted, Baked Snack ROM)
Keeps getting words wrong.
Most annoying is not being able to tap out words one letter at a time without the word list popping up after each letter (even though i have it set to 'never')
And adding/removing from dictionary does NOT work.
(I tried wiping dalvik-cache -- to no avail.)

How can I go back to the previous version?
This is one is useless!

rt1027
09-23-2010, 9:56 AM
Where do I find the Dalvik cache?

kirstisamuels
09-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi Brian, I agree with the other posters the update is horribly inaccurate until you wipe the dalvik chache (NEXUS 1). That REALLY helped.

sarius07
09-23-2010, 2:03 PM
I was noticing the same thing on my Evo. I gave it time to see if it got better, but it actually seems to be getting worse. It also refuses to let me swype "that's," which worked fine before the update. It forces in "that'd" every single time, unless you manually add "thats." I'll try wiping the dalvik cache if I can figure it out.

kirstisamuels
09-26-2010, 7:28 PM
Hi Brian, I agree with the other posters the update is horribly inaccurate until you wipe the dalvik chache (NEXUS 1). That REALLY helped.

A few days later: so initially it was perfect and now all the names from my contact list are coming out at the top of the word choices and messing everything up! What is going on with this update!!

johntiger
09-26-2010, 7:34 PM
I'm in agreeance with the others here. It also seems that the dictionary has a bunch of junk in it that's not suppose to be there. I have an EVO and it has the all of my facebook friends names in it which is not helpful plus other words that I can't seem to get rid of like "iii" I have no idea why that would be in there. When I installed the first Beta it was immediately supperior to both the Qwerty and even the Compact Qwerty now that's not the case. Some how I just attempted to Swype one and some how infer came up. That was never the case on the last version. Maybe if there was a reset for the dictionary to a Basic dictionary it would work better.

HereOnThehill
10-05-2010, 9:48 AM
I am having similar experiences with bad word prediction and it almost does seem like it's gotten worse rather than better. I installed the update shortly after it came out and have not factory reset my phone since, so it’s had quite a bit of time to “learn.” I also notice that it seems to have added my address book to the dictionary and prioritized those above more common words. Such as when I try to Swype “quit” I get “weir,” which is the last name of a person in my address book.

As another person also mentioned they get odd suggestions that don’t even seem to be words. When I run across these I highlight them and hit the Swype key to delete them. Then with it still highlighted I hit the backspace key and try to reswype the word and I sometimes get the exact same word I deleted again.

It would be nice if I could either just delete the custom dictionary to see if that would help, or find a way to edit it, so I could see if there are a bunch of incorrect words that have somehow made it into the dictionary.

Evo (Stock 2.2)

MrsHarm
10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I am also seeing the same things. And its simple words, which makes it more annoying. Haven't disabled yet.

Device Make/Model: Motorola Droid
Android Version: 2.2 (build FRG22D)
Are you a ROOT user? No

migr8629505
10-07-2010, 6:16 AM
Less accurate swyping (and it's not a learning thing, I've had the update installed for a while now), the dictionary is filled with a ton of non-words (doutre for for? Really?) and when I delete them, they always come back. The initial beta was so good I quickly became faster on it than on the slide-out qwerty. However I have to go back and correct it so frequently now, that's no longer true...it's almost unusable now.

One other thing that is exacerbated by the dictionary problems. EVERY time you correct from one of these non-words to a more normal word, it pops up the tip telling me that's what happened. VERY annoying. I get it already! I thought turning off the tip pop-ups would make it go away, but no such luck.

Really, I think all of this save the accuracy problems themselves would be alleviated by simply allowing me to go back to a base dictionary, as others have suggested, and let me add my own custom words, rather than the crazy dictionary that came with this update.

brian.resnik
10-07-2010, 1:38 PM
Hey folks. Just a quick update. We're aware of the accuracy problems with the September update and are looking into possible solutions. It's possible that we'll be releasing a maintenance update shortly to address these issues, but I can't make any guarantees at this point, as we're still trying to determine the exact source of the issues and the best way to address them. Accuracy problems are particularly hard to track down because they often manifest themselves differently from user to user, and can be very difficult to reproduce and identify on-demand (a key component to fixing bugs).

Thanks for your patience on the matter. Remember, it's a beta. We know you're suffering and want your Swype back, but your suffering is leading to a better product in the long term :) Thank you!

simonblackley
10-11-2010, 1:21 PM
Any testing we can do, Brian, just let us know!

simonblackley
10-11-2010, 1:28 PM
My analysis: there are two problems, both introduced with the September update.

a) The base dictionary, which includes many words that I KNOW I never added and that I am unable to delete.
b) A buggy tweak to the 'learning' algorithm. The previous beta did get better as I used it. This version gets worse and worse.

Brian talks about the long term. In the short term, how about going back to the previous beta?

justinclay
10-11-2010, 4:54 PM
I just thought I'd add that I too am having the same problems with the newest beta. The primary problem I'm experiencing is with the non-words in the Swype dictionary. For example, when I try and Swype "day" it consistently pops up and tells me the word "day" was hidden by the custom word "dai" which I then highlight and delete. Without skipping a beat I Swype "day" again and get the exact same pop-up. No matter how many times I delete one of these rogue words, they come back.

Device Make/Model: HTC EVO 4G
Wireless Carrier: Sprint
Android Version: 2.2
ROM Version: Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo
Are you a ROOT user? Yes

kirstisamuels
10-11-2010, 7:50 PM
Brian, please please please give us back the previous beta while you sort out the kinks in this one. I can't bear another random word popping up three times in a row that doesn't even exist and then claims that I added it to the dictionary!

hakoreh
10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I can't believe I'm actually saying this but I stopped using Swype today because it's been so inaccurate. I have to Swype things multiple times before I get it to say what I want. Sadly I'm using the regular tap tap keyboard on my Droid Incredible. While it isn't as fast, I can't rely on Swype at the moment. Please give us the old Swype back or fix this one ASAP!!

GldRush98
10-12-2010, 7:36 PM
Same problem here on my Nexus One. New version is highly inaccurate. Older version never gave me this kind of twinkle. See, I just swyped trouble, and it put twinkle. Weak.
Also have seen lash wirj (lag with... See more accuracy problems, even when I an (am) concentrating) this build that I have never seen before. Looking forward to a quick fix.

tjoebgen
10-13-2010, 8:00 AM
Moto Droid (orig)
Android 2.2 - Froyo (frg22d)
Verizon

I use to go around showing people how amazing Swype was - every chance I got. Now, it is so cumbersome that I find myself cursing at the inaccuracy, the lag, and that Tips popup. All of the previous versions I used were so magical. Seriously! It was like magic how intuitive it was. Now, with so many words that it gets wrong, I find myself tapping out words more often.

Re the lag. It isn't constant, but happens about once per sentence or two. Sometimes it puts the correct word in when it comes back, sometime it puts in multiple partial words or letters.

Swype - we love you! Get Well Soon! :)

mattwill
10-14-2010, 4:01 PM
I had to stop using Swype as well unfortunately, but thought I'd check in. Looks like you guys are on it, meanwhile just putting another vote in to get back the previous beta while you work it out.

From a business perspective it would seem the wisest thing to do...get folks back on a working version so we can again make folks envious of the app...create that Buzz and keep it going in a POSITIVE direction. It only generates more kudos down the line.

jdoubleh
10-15-2010, 2:12 PM
My observation was that the issue got progressively worse over time. I just uninstalled everything, re-downloaded and reinstalled, and everything seems much better. Not much of a workaround, but it's something. So far so good.

My experience was similar to many here. Not only was the dictionary full of bizarre words, the tip popup about my word being hidden / deleting a 'previously' entered word was regularly appearing - even when the first word in the list was a legitimate word ( one that I could not, and would not want to delete). It got to the point that it seemed like it was popping up every third word or worse- and mostly for legit words. The weird words in the dictionary almost seemed like the letters detected in my swipe were getting added to the dictionary before being interpreted. That is the only way I can figure the dictionary got so increasingly jacked up.

As others have stated, my frustration level was ever increasing, nearly causing my phone to become a flying object today. For some time, my major frustration with Swype has been the fact that it is still in beta - despite appearing as OEM on a few newer phones. I talk up Swype to everyone I know with an android phone, but most are not participants in the now closed beta. I really want this thing to hit the market. I'll buy it AND provide invaluable word of mouth advertising. But this new quirkiness has dampened that enthusiasm.

As I stated, though, so far so good after doing a full reinstall. I imagine I’ll have to do it again unless an update becomes available shortly.

BTW - Droid Incredible/ Froyo.

josephatgt
10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Guess for now, I’m another one to add to the ranks of people that used to love Swype but after the “patch” in September and subsequent month of frustration, I’m back to the stock keyboard.

For the tech people, I’m using a Droid Incredible running 2.2.

Short list of issues:
- (Annoyance Factor: 3) I’m still experiencing the Swype not working intermittently after restarting. I had been able to get around this by changing the input method but this morning I’m now getting a “The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operating with limited functionality”.
- (Annoyance Factor: 7) Random words seem to be in the dictionary. I’m removed literally hundreds of these words but there is still garbage there. I’m not sure it’s the detection against my contacts but I know I don’t have any friends named aosdpfj…
- (Annoyance Factor: 5) Words pulled from my contacts can’t be deleted.
- (Annoyance Factor: 9) Not sure if this is just my imagination, or a result of the random word issue, but word detection seems really bad now. Very random words will get pulled over very common words such as “the”, “and”, etc.

I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on the forums and hope that Swype gets patched in the future but for the meantime, I’ll begrudgingly be using the stock keyboard.

justinclay
10-18-2010, 8:04 PM
After a few frustrating weeks with the newest Swype beta I've switched over to Swiftkey. It's definitely a huge adjustment in the way you input text compared to Swype, but I've gotten used to it and for the most part I really like it. Swiftkey's next-word prediction is really impressive. It has literally predicted the next word I'm going to say for almost whole sentences. It really is learning how I talk...I'm very predictable apparently :)

Anyway I thought I'd mention that it's worth a try. It's definitely a lot better than the stock keyboard once you learn how it works.

spbrereton
10-20-2010, 9:09 AM
My analysis: there are two problems, both introduced with the September update.

a) The base dictionary, which includes many words that I KNOW I never added and that I am unable to delete.
b) A buggy tweak to the 'learning' algorithm. The previous beta did get better as I used it. This version gets worse and worse.

Brian talks about the long term. In the short term, how about going back to the previous beta?

this is the option I would take as a PM. Rollback and fix. Nothing in terms of new knowledge is being added while we struggle with this and wait for the fix.

hakoreh
10-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I've tried Swift Key but can't stand having to look up to check the word every time before I accept it. I'm using Smart Keyboard - tap tap - but very fluid almost BlackBerry like.

rcocchiararo
10-20-2010, 4:29 PM
My issues:

1) words are not always deleted as they should

2) rare words are called when usual short ones should

3) each time a "normal" word is hidden, and a rare/custom one is shown, i am showed the big message about it... PLS LET ME TURN THAT OFF!!!

------

Non beta related:

2.6.* versions from the roms that have been leaking for the samsung galaxy S or the captivate lack spanish, a friend of mine with a captivate (we are from argentina, and he had it brought for him) almost killed me when i sent him the "update" :P

maxnicks
10-21-2010, 5:56 AM
Yes, I am also seeing the same problems with mine. Predictive text is whacky and slowly getting worse. I've thrived on Swype in the past. I really don't want to switch to SwiftKey but... Lucky for me I have a Droid 1 with a slide-out keyboard.
Droid 1
CyanogenMod 6.0

dbell9
10-21-2010, 7:13 PM
Can someone also tell me how to go back to the old Swype as I am having problems every since the update.

mowdownjoe
10-23-2010, 3:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has had the same issue I've had, where I use the Swype key to correct something, and it inserts the corrected word INSIDE the word I'm trying to correct, then adds an extra space inside that word just for ****s and giggles. That may be tied to the lag issue. (I've certainly seen lag, and it gets so bad that Swype ends up typing my Swypes instead of the word just appearing.) But the lag is making me go batty.

NurseDroid
10-23-2010, 4:37 PM
Will there be a fix for this? I wish we had the keyboard back that we had before the 2.2 update.. :(

P1h3r1e3d13
10-26-2010, 3:39 PM
+1 to worse accuracy
+1 to hide the annoying “hidden word” popup
+1 to can't delete words from the dictionary
+1 to weird words in the dictionary (I hereby claim the weirdest so far: “fnoritschen”)
+1 to reverting to pre-September until it's fixed

a big +1 to new dictionary system ASAP. IMO, this should be the biggest priority for the next update.
(I'd love full manual editability and the option to not add every word I type.)

Moto Droid
Verizon
FroYo
Stock
Apps2SD: yes, but not for Skype (does this matter?)
not root

brian.resnik
10-26-2010, 3:55 PM
Posted this in another thread but I'll add it here as well:

Update which fixes these (and other) problems is going through internal QA now. We SHOULD have it rolled out to you all by mid-november. The reason we didn't do a rollback is that this issue effected our OEM partner builds as well, so all resources were focused on getting this resolved, and I mean ALL resources. Plus the additional bug feedback actually helped us track down some other usability problems that were made more apparent because of these issues. I feel your pain though (literally. I'm using the same beta build as all of you, heh).

Your struggle is almost over, I swear :D

MrObvious
10-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Posted this in another thread but I'll add it here as well:

Update which fixes these (and other) problems is going through internal QA now. We SHOULD have it rolled out to you all by mid-november. The reason we didn't do a rollback is that this issue effected our OEM partner builds as well, so all resources were focused on getting this resolved, and I mean ALL resources. Plus the additional bug feedback actually helped us track down some other usability problems that were made more apparent because of these issues. I feel your pain though (literally. I'm using the same beta build as all of you, heh).

Your struggle is almost over, I swear :D

Thanks I can't wait!

victorhooi
11-08-2010, 2:02 PM
heya,

Six more days to mid-November...lol...

Just wondering if there was any word on the update, to fix all the bugs =). Would we still be on track for mid-November? Or is it looking later than that?

I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting for bated breath (I still don't quite see why you couldn't just rollback - unless it was just about collecting usage data from the buggy build from users, which if it was....well).

Cheers,
Victor

rob.boehm
11-08-2010, 3:35 PM
heya,

Six more days to mid-November...lol...

Just wondering if there was any word on the update, to fix all the bugs =). Would we still be on track for mid-November? Or is it looking later than that?

I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting for bated breath (I still don't quite see why you couldn't just rollback - unless it was just about collecting usage data from the buggy build from users, which if it was....well).

Cheers,
Victor
If you go to beta.swype.com right now you'll notice that it's down for maintenance. So yeah, just sayin' ;)

hunterp101
11-08-2010, 7:41 PM
Swype was extremely accurate when I first got my phone but since the update on t-mobile it is absolutely awful. I have stopped using it because it is basically unusable.

Substituting simple words like "that'd" instead of "that's" is ridiculous. It has also picked up slang from facebook that I never use as well a from contacts. None of these things can be removed from the dictionary. This is one of the biggest failures I have ever seen.

Samsung Vibrant
Stock Android 2.1

GldRush98
11-11-2010, 2:53 PM
Running the new Swype, 2.10. So far, it is feeling tons better! Back to how it used to be! As long as it doesn't degrade over time like 2.4, I will be a happy Swyper once again :)

MrObvious
11-11-2010, 2:58 PM
Running the new Swype, 2.10. So far, it is feeling tons better! Back to how it used to be! As long as it doesn't degrade over time like 2.4, I will be a happy Swyper once again :)

Thank god. I hope to find that out for myself. Downloading now! :D

os2baba
11-23-2010, 2:24 PM
Swype was extremely accurate when I first got my phone but since the update on t-mobile it is absolutely awful.
Samsung Vibrant
Stock Android 2.1

What update on T-Mobile? How did you get a newer version of Swype on your Vibrant?

Chaste
11-23-2010, 6:24 PM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
Froyo Stock
Not rooted.
Not using apps2sd.
Swype version: 2.7.49.12646.

Hi all, is there a newer/better version of swype than mine?

After updating from eclair to froyo, which swype got updated as well, I think there's a huge drop in accuracy. Common words should prevail over rare ones.
One thing I dislike is really the late response of the correction window when you double tap on a wrong word. I think it's the new feature of the text selection tool that is slowing the whole software down, ain't it?

rob.boehm
11-24-2010, 5:04 PM
This thread was about accuracy in a previous version of the Swype Beta which is no longer available. There have not been posts regarding the OP in this thread since the release of the November update. Locking thread for consistency and so the thread doesn't get bumped when there is no need for it.