PDA

View Full Version : Battery Drain since downloading Sept. Beta update

voicegirl1
09-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm on a Droid 1, and received the email yesterday to update my swype. Not sure what to do now, because ever since I installed this yesterday (following the directions in the email to the letter), I've had such a battery drain, it's ridiculous. Is this a known issue? Because now I have to charge my phone twice a day, instead of my usual once overnight. What should I do?

Thanks,

Annie

voicegirl1
09-13-2010, 6:08 PM
I can't possibly be the only one!!!

voicegirl1
09-14-2010, 6:18 AM
I see that 63 people read this, but no one posted anything. Am I the only one?????

GreatMoloko
09-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I haven't noticed a true battery drain issue yet as I've only had it installed for about 5 minutes. What I have noticed is that my device has not gone to sleep.

I have verified that the device timeout is set for 30 seconds as it was before the beta install.

Droid Incredible
Verizon
Stock ROM
No error message received
Troubleshooting steps: Rebooted the device, re-installed swype following the instructions in the basic troubleshooting steps
Not a Root User.

voicegirl1
09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Great Moloko,

Thank you so much for answering. I'm still experiencing the battery drain, since installing it on Sunday. I'm on Droid 1, running Froyo. Not rooted, either.

rob.boehm
09-14-2010, 7:07 PM
In settings under About Phone (last option) there will be a battery use menu. Here you can see what applications are sucking up the most of your battery. Often what can happen is antivirus programs will think Swype is attacking your device and goes into overdrive. This may be the case in this event or similar complications with other apps you have installed.

voicegirl1
09-15-2010, 7:39 PM
That's the funny part. I know about the "About Phone" battery use menu. It says that Swype is only using 2%. But that can't be, because everything was perfect until I installed the new version of Swype! I even uninstalled and reinstalled it just to be sure, and it's still a major battery drain, which it never was before. It can't be Froyo, because I've had that installed for a couple of weeks now, and this battery drain is directly related to my updating Swype. So this has to be a bug. There's simply no other explanation.

rob.boehm
09-15-2010, 7:47 PM
Do you see any other application spike in your battery usage while having Swype installed?

voicegirl1
09-15-2010, 7:51 PM
Right now, it says: voice calls: 28%; Android OS: 23%; Display: 20%; Phone idle: 9%; Cell standby: 8%, Android systerm: 5%; Maildroid: 3%; Dialer: 2%, Mail: 2%

voicegirl1
09-15-2010, 7:53 PM
Then, I just sent one text to test it, and this is what the battery indicator said: Display: 85%; Android System: 9; Cell standby: 3%; Android OS: 2%, Handcent: 2%.

rob.boehm
09-15-2010, 9:06 PM
Can you post what these meters are after a full battery use of normal activity? Could you post them after more than a few tests??? Good science is all about repeating the results =D

Also can you modify the op with the following information?

When posting, please include the following information:
Device Make/Model
Wireless Carrier
Android Version (2.2 FroYo? 1.6 Donut?)
ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?)
Are you using APPS2SD?
Full text of the error message you are receiving (if you are not receiving an error, describe the problem in as much detail as possible)
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?
Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no")

voicegirl1
09-16-2010, 6:28 AM
Thanks for writing back! Okay, the meters are now saying: Display-60%; Android System-15%; Cell standby-7%; Market-6%; Phone idle-5%; Android OS-4%; Facebook-3%; MailDroid-2%; Calendar-2%.

The only thing I've done differenly since yesterday is that I've always had two email clients: MailDroid and Yahoo Mail (I like them both for different reasons and was trying to decide between them). Even though MailDroid takes up more space than YahooMail, I deleted Yahoo, thinking there could be some conflict because I have two, and maybe that was eating up the battery. I highly doubt it, because I never had this problem before. Any chance the prob is actually Froyo or maybe the new Flash update? Help!

Thanks,

Annie

drakeis
09-20-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm noticing the Android System and Android OS battery usage spikes. I'm now burning through a battery 30% faster. Droid 1, verizon,2.2 , stock rom, no Apps2SD, not rooted.

rob.boehm
09-20-2010, 4:24 PM
I see all three reports (from voicegirl1, GreatMoloko, and drakeis) are on motorola droid 1/incredible running stock froyo 2.2. Moloko noticed that his screen wasn't timing out. Are you seeing this as well voicegirl or drakels?

I don't know how many other people have gone this route, but one of the first habbits I got into with my android was to turn screen time out off and just mash the end button when I stop using the phone to close what I'm doing and turn the screen off. Do you guys do the same, or do you allow the screen to time out?

MrObvious
09-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Maybe clearing Dalvik cache might fix that too? Or application data?

ugxvibe
09-21-2010, 7:17 PM
I'm kinda seeing the usual drain on my battery but I'll post my battery use results as a reference to this thread. I've made a bunch of Swype texts during this up-time..
Cell Stby:30%, Bluetooth 30%(forgot to turn it off from work today), Phone Idle 29%, Android System 8%, Display 3% (5h 16m 32s since unplugged)

HTC Incredible
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.2
Stock ROM
No APPS2SD
No Errors
No Root

flatH2O
09-25-2010, 4:12 PM
I've been noticing this one mine, too. Though I don't have any stats to prove it, my phone doesn't last all day long anymore.

HTC Hero
Android 2.1

rob.boehm
09-27-2010, 6:55 PM
Have you noticed your screen not timing out at all?

rob.boehm
10-12-2010, 5:54 PM
Good news - Bad news: I noticed my battery dropping like a stone the last week or so I was using my G1. Going to make a list of applications installed and run some tests. Hopefully we can find where the complication is.

If anybody notices similar applications, please let me know.

Alarm Clock
Amazon MP3
Android keyboard
Android System
Astro
Babbler
Browser
Calculator
Calendar
Calendar Storage
Camera
Checkin Service