PDA

View Full Version : untie the keyboard layout from the language

xemino
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
howdy,

thanks guys for including german in the latest beta update. now i can use the legit version and abandon the shady hacked one <3

one thing i REALLY miss, is the option to use the qwerty layout w/ german.
i got myself a macbook w/ the us keyboard and i'm so used to qwerty it's hard to switch between it and qwertz.

please add at least an advanced option to choose the layout we want, if you need an example, look at swiftkey, they allow that.

i'm currently mastering the art of swyping and already don't wanna go back to swiftkey/the standard keyboard anymore.

adding this feature would make me truly happy!

nxtwrld
10-28-2010, 3:14 AM
I totally agree. I switch between several keyboard layouts when I switch from language to language and swapping the position of ZY is driving me crazy.

anti-pop
11-13-2010, 6:11 AM
I third that request.

Untying language input from keyboard layout would solve several cases:

- Depending on countries, some languages are entered using different keyboard layouts

QWERTY, QWERTZ and AZERTY for French
QWERTY and AZERTY for Dutch
QWERTZ and QWERTY for German

Meaning people not using the most popular layout for their language are currently out of luck.

- Bilingual speakers.
A lot of people capable of affording a smart phone and computer literate enough to use it probably speak English and some other language.
They will want to input text in all the languages they know using a single keyboard layout (the one they are used to). Untying language input from keyboard layout would allow them to do that.

pnoire001
11-27-2010, 2:24 AM
I agree too. i'm missing the ability to use swiss french layout QWERTZ.

Untiying the layout or adding an option in settings to choose the layout we want would be great.

rob.boehm
11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm not an engineer, but my understanding of how Swype works is that basically the language is not only the dictionary, but also the keyboard layout. Think of Swype as the old "Graffiti" that was on Palm devices, except instead of tracing out letters, you're tracing out words and just using the keyboard as a point of reference to make the appropriate trace.

What you may see, depending on demand and resources, is different versions of languages for different keyboards. Be sure to voice your requests for this in the Linguistics forum. Our localization team closely watches, and works with testers to make sure you're delivering the most used options around the world.

Kel Ghu
11-28-2010, 3:48 PM
I still don't get why languages and keyboard selection are not independant... WHY?!?
It's been a LONG LONG time that everyone have been requesting this, but still nothing...
Can someone answer this please?

I am an engineer and I do not understand why the dictionary would be tie to the keyboard layout. The engine analysing the swype traces should easily adjust to keyboard layouts. The dictionary doesn't contain traceroutes. Because if it does, it would be huge and heavy. I'm sorry, but your developers are just lazy. So many repeated request and still nothing...

Our localization team closely watches, and works with testers to make sure you're delivering the most used options around the world.

Who are you kidding? Download Smart Keyboard Pro and learn. Swype is the best keyboard concept ever, but the company is just bad at developing it. It has been almost a year for me, and Swype has almost not changed. Just added languages.

xemino
06-13-2011, 3:47 PM
well sadly if you want updates and dev's that actually use the beta users input to model their product you gotta go to swiftkey. the swype beta is a byproduct after all.
does the 3.0 update included int'l qwerty? i'm using swiftkey x now, but i miss swiping. i just fancy using only one hand to hold the phone and my thumb to swype.
i'm forcing myself to using swiftkey, i write both english and german and just can't cope w/ the ****in qwertz layout anymore :(

i miss you swype. i had my bet on you for a very long time, now swiftkey x has it.

Chris Roijens
06-15-2011, 12:53 AM
well sadly if you want updates and dev's that actually use the beta users input to model their product you gotta go to swiftkey. the swype beta is a byproduct after all.
does the 3.0 update included int'l qwerty? i'm using swiftkey x now, but i miss swiping. i just fancy using only one hand to hold the phone and my thumb to swype.
i'm forcing myself to using swiftkey, i write both english and german and just can't cope w/ the ****in qwertz layout anymore :(

i miss you swype. i had my bet on you for a very long time, now swiftkey x has it.

You can allways try SlideIT, the same as Swype but WITH AZERTY and Dutch language...