PDA

View Full Version : September update does not download (Droid Incredible 2.2 update)

mrbbamf
09-13-2010, 9:25 AM
I have uninstalled original Swype beta and Swype installer from my phone per instructions. When I open email and try to download Swype-Installer.apk, click save, the file never downloads just get an error message.

Phone Make/Model - HTC Incredible
Android OS (or ROM) version - Android 2.2
Swype version - Original Beta, but gone now cause I uninstalled
What behavior did you expect to see? - Ability to download September Update
What behavior did you actually see? - Error in downloading
Did you uninstall Swype first? - Yes
Is the device rooted? - No

robcowie
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm having the exact same issue, and now that I have uninstalled I can't use the app at all. Nice job! :\

Just give us an apk we can pay for and be done with it...geez! We all want it, so why on Earth would you make it so difficult to aquire??

Sorry I forgot to add my specs:

Phone Make/Model - Motorola Milestone (on Telus in Canada)
Android OS (or ROM) version - Android 2.1 (customized with Telus Fast 'N Lite 4.1 ROM)
Is the device rooted? - Yes

brian.resnik
09-13-2010, 1:31 PM
Sounds like a problem with your device, as that's just the download of a simple file over the web. Make sure you have plenty of room on your SDcard, clear out the "download" folder on your SDcard of all previous copies of swype-installer.apk, and make sure you're using the stock browser with default settings (check that your browser is set to Mobile and not Desktop in the user-agent settings)

thetwanksta
09-13-2010, 1:38 PM
I am having the same issue. Recieved the update email, deleted my original swype beta installer and program. Proceeded to download the new beta, installer works fine, try to download the actual swype program and it fails everytime. I have rebooted the phone with no luck.

Phone Make/Model - HTC EVO
Android OS (or ROM) version - Cyanogenmod 6.0/Android 2.2
Is the device rooted? - Yes, never caused an issue before.

robcowie
09-13-2010, 1:44 PM
Sounds like a problem with your device, as that's just the download of a simple file over the web. Make sure you have plenty of room on your SDcard, clear out the "download" folder on your SDcard of all previous copies of swype-installer.apk, and make sure you're using the stock browser with default settings (check that your browser is set to Mobile and not Desktop in the user-agent settings)

Thanks for replying Brain.

I'm using the stock browser with default settings, and have 10gb of free space on my SD card. I deleted the old apk so there really shouldn't be an issue. I can get onto my secure banking website with the same setup, so I'm not sure why I can't browse to your secure storage area to grab the updated apk of Swype.

Any other ideas?

dblevitan
09-13-2010, 1:48 PM
I'm also having issues getting the installer to download swype, though it does work. Just keep trying a few times. My password is also sometimes not accepted, but if I click login again without changing anything, it works. Now if I can only get it to register. My guess is high demand is causing the servers to have problems

darkmoon
I've tried this several times, and I have to say that the new beta doesn't download. I've uninstalled, re-installed the new installer several times and it doesn't pull down any sort of package. It just gives an error. It'd be nice if the update had an autoupdater, instead of having to do this method every time. But regardless, now I'm also without Swype which is somewhat annoying because I can't download it.

There's nothing wrong with the SD card or anything like that since like Rob, I have 12G free on my card.

I will say that sometimes it doesn't take the credentials. When you login with username and password, it'll deny you and when you go back and click login again with your Droid keyboard, it'll work. Sort of messed up functionality there on the installer.

Phone Make/Model - Motorola Droid (Verizon- US)
Android OS (or ROM) version - Android 2.2 stock

JoeMik
I am having the same issue. Recieved the update email, deleted my original swype beta installer and program. Proceeded to download the new beta, installer works fine, try to download the actual swype program and it fails everytime. I have rebooted the phone with no luck.

Same exact symptoms here. Slightly different specs:

sleekmr3
09-13-2010, 1:50 PM
uninstalled all swype files and the installer from sd card. Used stock browser. Still getting download error.

update: I kept retrying to download it and it finally worked.

Swype version - Uninstalled. I have nothing now
What behavior did you expect to see? - download swype update

russham3
09-13-2010, 1:54 PM
I am also having trouble downloading the new swype keyboard using the new installer. I am getting a Download of the package failed message. I am using Swype Installer Version 1.0.10912.

Phone Make/Model - Motorola Droid

migr9515177
09-13-2010, 1:56 PM
Installer installed fine, and I can login to the installer. Then when I click the download button I get "Download of the package failed". After that, subsiquent logins cause the message "Swype Installation Failed: Enter the user name and password you registered at beta.swype.com."

I can't login again until I kill the Installer app and try again. This takes me back to "Download of the package failed". <s> What a fun little loop! </s>?

Phone Make/Model - Motorola Droid

Goth Mog
09-13-2010, 1:56 PM
I was going to post here with the error messages, but it decided to work this time. Their servers or something may be overloaded. Keep trying and you'll probably eventually get it.

pbandy34
09-13-2010, 1:57 PM
I am having the same issue. Please fix it soon, I don't know how to type, anymore.

sleekmr3
09-13-2010, 2:08 PM
I just kept trying to download it over and over again. Finally got it to download. Took like 15 tries.

spbrereton
09-13-2010, 2:27 PM

Brian

I'm having this issue too. I think people should report the browser you're using. I'm using Skyfire and first up it told me I wasn't on a Droid device. I think the header-checking code in the page is probably on Nazi setting... I'll do some testing.

spbrereton
09-13-2010, 2:32 PM
uninstalled all swype files and the installer from sd card. Used stock browser. Still getting download error.

update: I kept retrying to download it and it finally worked.

Swype version - Uninstalled. I have nothing now
What behavior did you expect to see? - download swype update

I had issues with non-stock browsers. But when I tried the stock it worked. So for now I'm going to say try again - I think it was probably a server over-load issue.

thetwanksta
09-13-2010, 7:24 PM
Tried again several hours later, worked fine. Must have been server overload. I was starting to get upset, I cannot stand the stock keyboard now!

glider
09-13-2010, 7:58 PM
I'm on an xperia X10.
And I had incorrect login and package failed several times.
Keep trying, my impression is the servers are too busy.
Either keep trying or wait for a few days.
I got lucky after my 15th attempt.

StranaMechty
09-13-2010, 8:33 PM
Same problem.

Phone Make/Model - Nexus One
Swype version - Originally had first beta, uninstalled and now with nothing. Trying to install Sept. version.

Keeps saying "Failed to install the package", and I'm getting very tired of retyping my email time and again.

shoofy
09-13-2010, 9:05 PM
For me the installer downloads fine and it then downloads and installs Swype fine, but then when the Swype installation finishes the Swype Installer gives me the error saying "Download of package failed: Swype is already installed. Please uninstall and try again." Swype is in fact installed, because you, the installer, just installed it. When I leave the installer and go into the keyboard settings Swype is available to be activated, but the first time it comes up after being set as the default input method it tells me it is configured incorrectly and will have limited capabilities. It then just doesn't work.

Phone Make/Model - Droid Eris
Android OS (or ROM) version - Android 2.2 (KaosFroyo)
Swype version - Uninstalled
What behavior did you expect to see? - Ability to install and use September Update
What behavior did you actually see? - see above
Is the device rooted? - Yes

Grim...
09-14-2010, 1:34 AM
I followed the instructions and ended up with installer version 1.0.7625.
I hit 'start download' and get "Swype Installation Failed This isntaller is expired. Login at beta.swype.com to get version 4!"
Quite where it thinks I got this one from is anyone's guess.

Phone Make/Model - HTC Desire
Android OS (or ROM) version - Android 2.1
Swype version - Uninstalled
What behavior did you expect to see? - Package downloading
What behavior did you actually see? - See above