PDA

View Full Version : Add automatic text replacement/expansion

Imposter
08-31-2010, 7:32 PM
This is the one feature I still sorely miss from BlackBerry. It's a user-defined dictionary that will replace a text entry with another specified one, like "btw" becoming "by the way." There is a setting for Smart Case (lower case text yields lower case result and upper yields upper) and Specified Case (any entry yields the result exactly as defined, eg "mon" yields "Monday.") I haven't had to type the days of the week or the word "tomorrow" in years! This becomes a huge time saver and would likely revolutionize text entry as much as Swype already did on its own. Please, please, PLEASE consider adding this.
Thanks!

-Imp

This feature is on our radar as a possible feature for future versions of Swype, but is not at the top of our list at the moment. Please add your thoughts and share your opinion on the feature here!

-Swype Community Management

Elefantphace
03-30-2011, 8:54 PM
Bump

I agree. I had auto text set up for everything on my bb and used them all the time. It has made getting used to this that much worse

Spikelangelo
03-31-2011, 9:27 PM
That's a pretty good idea! Once you get swyping down you can lay down text pretty fast, imagine if you didn't even have to swype whole words! You'll be swyping faster than the Micro Machines guy talks! :D

rob.boehm
04-01-2011, 6:30 PM
This has been brought up a few times before. Personally I'd love to see the ability to alias something like qzvzq to your user ID so you don't even have to use acronyms. It will get there eventually; however I must say that it's not very high on our priority list right now.

handled_badly
04-02-2011, 1:38 AM
Ironically one of Swype's main competitors already has acronym support. I won't say who it is but it's not the hardest to figure out either ;)

Sent from my Jax using Tapatalk

mattyf
06-08-2011, 3:32 PM
On Blackberries, for instance, you can program the phone such that if you type "mtg" it automatically replaces it with "meeting." I love this feature, and sorely miss it on the Android. My understanding is that because apps aren't allowed to listen to what's being input into other apps, the only way to achieve this functionality is to have it built DIRECTLY into the keyboard.

There are a couple of keyboards in the marketplace that offer this text expansion function now, but none of them are swype, which I can't do without. So the only way I get text expansion I guess is if Swype decides to include it in their keyboard.

What do you say, guys?

PS- I would only have it active when the shortcut is tapped out, to avoid accidental expansions...

handled_badly
06-09-2011, 2:07 AM
That's a SlideIT thing, not a Swype one. Although I think it's a valid point regardless.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

mattyf
06-27-2011, 1:59 PM
I played with SlideIT this weekend and it integrates this function in a VERY elegant way. The swyping, however, was completely inaccurate!

I would STRONGLY request for a feature like this to be included in Swype. It would be a HUGE timesaver!!!

What I especially loved about the way SlideIT did it was that when you enter the abbreviation for the expansion, the word suggestion line offers back the abbreviation in a different color and underlined, letting you know that when you click it, SlideIT will enter the full text that you've set up that abbreviation to represent. Great, great idea.

mountainbikermark
06-27-2011, 4:54 PM
I came from SlideIt to Swype and at first found Swype thoroughly inaccurate until adding Ultra Keyboard and Shapewriter into the mix. At that point I found they are all of their own "personality" and require acclimation. I use Ultra on my phone 99% of the time and it is most accurate using a more linear slide whereas Swype works best for me on full error tolerance and a more rounded slide. SlideIt seems to be a combo of both rounded and linear and Shapewriter leans more toward a round slide

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

fporter
08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Another vote for text expansion (or shortcuts from Palm OS days, or even aliases). Being able to define shortcuts as in Palm OS would be very helpful .

Jordon2
08-04-2011, 10:47 PM
at first found Swype thoroughly inaccurate until adding Ultra Keyboard and Shapewriter into the mix.

GeekDrop_com
08-22-2011, 9:58 PM
YES!! I registered on this forum specifically to put in a request for this feature. I'm coming from slideit as well, and it's "Shortcut" feature is one of the biggest things that I like/used slideit for, over swype.

PLEASE add that feature into swype a well.

HTC Thunderbolt

--
GeekDrop.Com

decoboy
08-24-2011, 7:08 AM
The User Dictionary is a great addition (3.25), however long words can still be quite a pain. Especially things like email addresses or websites.
E.g. my email address is not particularly long (I have added it to my dictionary, yet it still takes about 23 characters to Swype, and this makes it tougher for me/Swype to get right.

If I don't Swype it just right, or miss 1 or 2 characters, I have to start all over again.

This could be also useful for long technical words - or even a phrase you use often.
One way to implement it is to have a tagged list of 'special' words/ phrases in the dictionary than can be accessed by swype from the Swype key to the letter s (for shortcut).

jamorford
08-24-2011, 8:29 AM
I think this would be awesome...I saw it on a similar app...

poebae
08-24-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd absolutely love it if we could customise long strings e.g. if I Swype "myaddress" it enters 4/123 Fake Street Fakesville 90210.

decoboy
08-24-2011, 4:15 PM
Good point poebae - street address is another good example.

Having a 'keyword' as a shortcut is another good method.

In typing environments (sms, email etc) where correct spelling has become VERY optional, and shorthand is rife, what has been overlooked is that there are many occasions when the precise spelling or 'longhand' is essential.
Swype is an excellent tool for simple text, and it has a comprehensive dictionary including technical words. However...one of it's features is also a negative - one doesn't need to be very accurate for general typing - Swype has the smarts to handle that. But the longer the word the more likely that an inaccurate swype will overcome these smarts.

BTW - There was a post asking for this back on Dec 30 2010 by robertmarkbram - although it received no replies.

lozoro
08-24-2011, 7:37 PM
I'd absolutely love it if we could customise long strings e.g. if I Swype "myaddress" it enters 4/123 Fake Street Fakesville 90210.

nice idea....i would like to have this kind of feature as well...

rob.boehm
08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
I see I haven't posted on here yet either. Just to say this something I have been constantly advocating for internally myself. Hopefully we'll be able to add it soon enough.

MichaelJZA
10-20-2011, 1:42 PM
Another vote for this feature. I find Swyoe excellent and intuitive. Text expansion would round things off very nicely

Averell
10-27-2011, 3:25 AM
Is it possible to add a phrase, a long word, or a strange word to user dictionary?
E.g: Instead of swyping all "United state of America", one can swype only usaf (f for full), or "congr" for "congratulation", or "VNf" for "Việt Nam".
To add these to dictionary, the user is presented a box to enter (by swyping/typing/copying) the expected result ("United state of America" in the example), and then swypes his chosen input on the keyboard ("usaf" in the example).

Thanks!

rob.boehm
10-29-2011, 6:04 PM
Text expansion and gestures like this are a common request. It's not available yet, but I'm sure it will be implemented in time.

GeekDrop_com
02-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Any luck with the pushing to get this feature added? I just installed the latest version and LOVE it so far. Feature wise this is now the only thing that I can think of that it's really (desperately) missing to make it near perfect. :-)

--
GeekDrop.Com

David Johnstone
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Still looking in to this one, guys! Keep 'em coming...

Billingsgate
04-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Two similar but related requests:

1) I'd like to be able to add word pairs to my user dictionary. For example, if I want to swype "Hong Kong" (where I live), with proper capitalization, I can enter each word separately and Swype correctly inserts them capitalized. But to speed things up, I'm wishing for a way to enter this phrase without pausing between words. Thus, I'd like to be able to swype "hongkong" and have it auto-correct as "Hong Kong". Is there no way to select a word pair and add it to the dictionary?

2) A brilliant addition would be the ability to program in shortcuts, as is possible in MS Word. So that, using my example of Hong Kong, I could swype "hk" and have it expand as "Hong Kong". This would be immensely useful if users could set their own shortcuts for frequently used phrases: company names, street addresses, salutations (yours sincerely, etc.). Imagine how much faster we'd be able to type!

jpnelson40@gmail.com
05-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I have searched these forums with no solution found. I also purchased FlexT9 and found it has no such facility either, even though their marketing documents hint at it.
I have decided to use an Android app "autotext free" and switch keyboards when I need to enter some complex stuff (URLs, email addresses, etc.) that are almost impossible to do in Swype or FlexT9.

tagustinus
07-13-2012, 3:01 PM
+1
Iphone keyboard also have this kind of shortcut, very convenient. Can use it for most uses phrases, complete email address, etc.

Allen SGS2
07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
This was one of the improvements I was going to propose to swype, good to have more people wishing this! It is a great help to improve the write speed that we can define our own abbreviations for frequently used words.

handled_badly
07-16-2012, 12:59 PM
This is one of the old features that made SlideIT so appealing -- slide a couple characters and the rest appear. Granted, if you use a word a lot in Swype you can usually tap a few letters for the whole thing (useful for recalling Twitter usernames, or stored passwords, although sometimes UNUSEFUL because it recalls passwords when you don't want). Okay, the tapping has nothing on expanded phrases :p

steinpa
07-21-2012, 2:07 PM
Please add autotext capability to Swype, like on Blackberry devices. Swype is great, but it could be even greater with less swyping needed. As it stands, you can get autotext apps, but they replace the swype keyboard, so they can't co-exist. I read an earlier post where an administrator said he would like this feature too, but it is not high on the priority scale for new features. Please bump it up.

Thank you.

steinpa
07-21-2012, 3:02 PM
Please add autotext capability to Swype, like on Blackberry devices. Swype is great, but it could be even greater with less swyping needed. As it stands, you can get autotext apps, but they replace the swype keyboard, so they can't co-exist. I read an earlier post where an administrator said he would like this feature too, but it is not high on the priority scale for new features. Please bump it up.

Thank you.

Billingsgate
07-21-2012, 7:54 PM
I agree with you, but to spam this forum with multiple postings like you did is thoroughly obnoxious! You could have simply added your comment to the existing thread you cited.

mmckaibab
10-14-2012, 8:10 PM
The last response to this thread was over a year ago but, it seems, Swype STILL doesn't do user-defined shortcuts. SlideIT has been doing this for at least this long so I'm wondering what is taking Swype so long. For now I'm headed back to SlideIT because it's a feature I find invaluable. What on earth is Swype working on that is preventing it from adding this feature? Not doing much for its competitiveness.

mmckaibab
10-14-2012, 8:28 PM
Having just started using Swype because it came on my latest phone I don't understand why this feature is such a low priority. For me it's invaluable. Until Swype makes it a priority I guess I'll be going back to SlideIT.

mmckaibab
10-14-2012, 8:30 PM
Check out SlideIT. Pretty much just like Swype but has autotext. Swype came on my new phone but I share your disappointment that it doesn't do autotext. Strange they haven't made it a priority when SlideIT has been doing it for at least a couple of years.

fporter
10-17-2012, 3:09 PM
Please add a feature that allows users to define shortcuts for longer terms.
For example, i might define 'fpe' as a shortcut that would be replaced with my email address so i wouldn't have to swype out the entire ththing.

Other examples would be a date or time shortcut. Or 'tmi' for to much information... the usage is quite endless really but would add alot of flexibility for the user.

geoffurtif
10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
I totally agree with you, this functionality would be really great and useful !

Krythos
10-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I also need AutoText functions, being an ex-Blackberry user. Smart Keyboard Pro has a Text Prediction section with a Custom Autotext dictionary that you can fill out, but you have to finger tap each acronym. Spikelangelo expressed it perfectly, "Once you get swyping down you can lay down text pretty fast, imagine if you didn't even have to swype whole words!".
Swype, please don't ignore this function and please bring it up in priority. Don't you have enough users requesting it ?
I also mirror user mmckaibab's question (from another forum), "What on earth is Swype working on that is preventing it from adding this feature? Not doing much for its competitiveness." The Administrator's last reply to this was over a year and a half ago...

Swype, you have a good product, only a little further and you'll have a great product that will give many users reason to switch over to Swype: AutoText (assuming you're looking for market share).

Allen SGS2
10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
+1, I agree with this

Enrique Orellana
11-07-2012, 5:19 PM
I have a Galaxy Tab2 7 "with Android OS 4.1

Personally I am an amateur writer and a commentator, that is why I use not only a good editor but a keyboard that help me in writing. Swype is a good keyboard, brings together almost everything you need for the job. However I it would be useful that Swype should have a choice of frequent phrases, as well as the personal dictionary. For example, I have no way of introducing a long dash for the dialogues, a greeting, a closing phrase or a signature.

This dictionary of frequent phrases should have two columns. The first column of the phrase; and the second column of the abbreviation that triggers the phrase.

Best regards.

pigsonthewing
12-04-2012, 2:01 AM
This may have been asked before, but I've searched the likely terms and can't find it.

I'd like to be able to save phrases I use regularly, and set up keystrokes to paste them.

For example, "Swype key - p - n" to paste my phone number; "Swype key - t - y" to paste "Thank you."

If there must be a maximum size for the phrases, please make it at least 140 characters, for we Twitter users ;-)

deaththeorist
12-04-2012, 5:26 AM
+1 to this

juanMcLane
12-04-2012, 1:07 PM
Another keyboard supports swiping whole sentences without lifting your finger. Similarly, jellybean keyboard supports real time analysis of single words. It would be nice if we could get these too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA4BqwNGSoc

bberryhill0
12-04-2012, 7:34 PM
Ooooo.... I like it. I use Smart Keyboard for that.

buzkill
12-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Would be truly amazing to see the Swype team incorporate this idea!!! ability to just swype to space-bar and continue! wiked cool

coolmite
01-07-2013, 11:01 AM
I was just looking through the feature requests for something similar. I would like to be able to add words to the auto-suggest list. In other keyboards, I type "u" and it auto converts to "you", or "r" to "are". Then I like to set up phrases like you mentioned "btw" for "by the way".

Right now, if I have autocorrect on and type 'u', it converts it to "I". I would like a way to add "you" to that list so it could learn what I want when I type "u".

Jtegg007
03-19-2013, 1:12 PM
Feature I had on my blackberry, would LOVE to see it on swype.
Ability to add a word to a secondary dictionary, that will be changed into another word when typed... Hard to describe I guess.
A dictionary where I could say if I type/Swype "Cant" replace it with "Can't"

Swype does already offer these type of corrections, but this secondary dictionary was the ULTIMATE form of flexibility on my blackberry! It allows you to create custom shortcuts for words!

For instance.
When I type word one, Replace with word/phrase two.
ONE --- TWO

@@ --- Your@email.here
@@ --- Jtegg007@gmail.com
#! --- (702)702-7702
n! --- Justin Eggleston
(Then theres obvious spelling corrections like...)
cant --- can't
yall --- you all
txt --- text
im --- I'm
(to expand on the email idea, On my blackberry, I had created an "email speed-dial".)
@1 --- TVRlasvegas@gmail.com
@2 --- rikkiL99@yahoo.com
@3 --- Hannable9120@aol.com
ect.

Get the idea? So Instead of typing my name, I can punch in "n!" and have it spit out my name. A Huge time saver in emails!!

Currently, I've gotten swype to suggest "Jtegg007@gmail" Whenever I type @, but thats the closest I cant get.

noksucow
03-24-2013, 1:49 PM
Like a text expander. The stock Android keyboard allows shortcuts, but Swype does not. I think it might have at some point from what I've read. I would also like to see this feature added. Would save me a lot of time when inputting something like an email address.

bberryhill0
03-26-2013, 8:57 PM
I bought Smart Keyboard so I could do that.

ikjadoon
03-28-2013, 7:52 AM
+1 for text expansion! :)

JohnnyRockets
04-19-2013, 11:07 PM
It would be incredibly time-saving and convenient to have a button that would allow me to quickly insert phrases that I type often, like my email address, my home address, my full name, my logon that I use for various websites, etc. Just a small handful of choices would be extremely useful.

Could this be implemented?

I currently use Clipper to store "Snippets" but does anyone else know of a way to achieve this via some other means without switching to another app?

exzacklyright
04-27-2013, 6:18 AM
Say for example I want to store a phrase I send often, like a signature for an email, or I type "brb" and it expands "be right back".

Or what you could do is allow us to customize the Swype gestures. So for example if I Swype from the Swype key, to the letter "t" it gives me a list of text shortcuts. There's lots of letters not being used! It would be great!

sephirotdnf
04-28-2013, 2:36 AM
Other keyboards offer this feature. That would be awesome to have it in Swype.
Own gesture shortcuts and text abbreviations.

Wysy

Mubble
04-29-2013, 9:00 AM
Definitely need custom abbreviations. Having to type out email addresses and passwords every few minutes in emails and on web pages sure does grind. Swype needs the option to create 3 letter abbreviations which the user can assign to commonly used phrases or email addresses etc. The lack of this feature is why I'm sticking with SlideIt keyboard for the time being.

exzacklyright
04-29-2013, 8:48 PM
Definitely need custom abbreviations. Having to type out email addresses and passwords every few minutes in emails and on web pages sure does grind. Swype needs the option to create 3 letter abbreviations which the user can assign to commonly used phrases or email addresses etc. The lack of this feature is why I'm sticking with SlideIt keyboard for the time being.

Or even just a "Swype to t" that then lets you choose from a bunch of pre defined phrases like an email or something. Either way...

eregister
05-01-2013, 6:31 AM
On the older version it would auto correct words but I don't see that as an option on the new version. I used to use it to type a three letter sequence that it would convert to my long email address - I think they called it shortcuts but I don't see that as an option any longer.

Kayu84
05-03-2013, 7:35 AM
Hey there, pls check
SlideIT-Tastatur on Playstore.

It's the App i used before.

Swype works much better and i realy like to stay on this app.

But....

On SlideIT there was a real nice way to enter e-mailadresses, fast and quickly.

i just need to swype over the first letters of the adress and hold down on any position i would stop to swype:

An example:
Mail: abcdefghijk@lomaloma.com

i swype abcde, hold down on the e and i got some suggestions of any mailadresse include abcde on start.

the only way i can swype mails in swype is to enter the whole adress, incl. .com takes bit longer then my old app
and if u got some real long mails, it's hard to swype them correctly.

Thx, alot, too if u got a better way to enter them.

mcarver2000
05-03-2013, 7:49 AM
The email addresses that I want to enter as shortcuts were selected and saved to my dictionary. If used often enough, they will show with the first letter swyped.

bberryhill0
05-10-2013, 6:58 PM
The email addresses that I want to enter as shortcuts were selected and saved to my dictionary. If used often enough, they will show with the first letter swyped.

Thanks. I kept meaning to try this. It works great.

atthasd
05-21-2013, 10:41 PM
I like autotext like in the Blackberry keyboard, when i type :flip it would go out kaomoji like this "(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻"

It would cut most of my time to copy and paste again the kaomoji. Smartkeyboard does have autotext, but Swype has better keyboard to over. so meanwhile I always exchange the keyboard between the smart keyboard and swype.

But if you can put this feature, I guess most of Ex Blackberry user will be pleased :)

Many thanks!

briteway
06-01-2013, 2:38 PM
Is it possible or are there any plans on making word shortcuts for Swype like in SlideIt or even iOS keyboard? I find these extremely useful when typing, especially when using to type work related phrases. For example, I don't want to always write 'highway patrol' but instead I want to swipe to bring up my own shortcut 'hp' to automatically insert 'highway patrol'. I also like Swype's predictive text, especially when I type similar sentences, I just select the word I typed and it automatically lists other words I typed after that word previously and this also makes typing so much faster. That is the only reason I'm not using SlideIt but if Swype also had these custom shortcut words, it would be perfect and the fastest keyboard on Earth.

vinconti
06-10-2013, 1:44 PM
Unless swype has a feature for inserting your own email address that I don't know about, swift key seems like it does it much better. it at least as a button which completes typical email domains including the at sign, but swype could do significantly better by integrating that feature into a macro key that not only has those common email domains, but also has your own and frequently used email addresses, and phone numbers,. Those are such a pain to type, it could also include some other variety of macros that same key like changing common settings

mcarver2000
06-11-2013, 7:54 AM
One can add email addresses to their personal dictionary. Use of the edit layer is required to select the whole email address. After it's been entered, just tapping the first couple of letters should bring up the email address. Haven't tried it with phone numbers though.

I also look forward to gesture shortcuts. There are a couple of ways they could do this.

1) allow gesture shortcuts like the Application shortcut (which, by the way is limited to one canned shortcut). Allow user to create/edit to launch app or text shortcut.

2) similar approach to the shortcuts in the Palm Graffiti keyboard. One enters into shortcut mode and then certain letter combos fill in text. For example, one could create a shortcut "gm" that has 4 email address separated by ";" to send email to 4 selected people. Built in shortcuts like "ds" for date stamp (entry today's date), "ts" for time stamp, etc.

Even better, they could include both methods.

Jacob.W
06-11-2013, 9:21 AM
Hey all,

Lots of fantastic suggestions here. Personally, I can definitely see how handy this feature could be, especially with words/phrases you enter frequently.

Thought I'd let you all know that we have this logged as a possible feature for future versions of Swype, but this is not at the top of our list at this point in time.

Thanks

Browner87
06-13-2013, 7:27 AM
I can't imagine why not. It's one of the most requested features I've seen and one of the reasons Swype can't measure up to many other keyboards. This feature has been requested by users for literally years, since the beta first came out. If you don't listen to the customers you will go the way of the XBox One. And like Minecraft, if you don't start fixing bugs before adding dozens of new features no one cares about, you will again start losing people.

I came here to add my petition to this thread. This was one of my favourite parts of my Blackberry. And I think every other keyboard I've tried on my Android...

Spaceboy_psy
06-26-2013, 4:27 PM
I'm also really keen to use Swype, but won't until it has this feature. It's essential! SlideIT for now, even though they're butchering its performance in recent updates... :(

vinz3nt
07-01-2013, 12:54 AM
I have some improvements:

- predefined texts; I would love to see a button which I can press and a context menu appeard with predefined texts. In that way I can put some texts I type frequently, like e-mail addresses

- minimize keyboard by swiping a gesture, or minimize by swiping right to left, starting from the backspace or search key or something. Swiping from the swipekey to the backspace key also works but it's not very good on large screens

mcarver2000
07-01-2013, 7:29 AM
I've always just used the Android "back" icon to minimize.

- minimize keyboard by swiping a gesture, or minimize by swiping right to left, starting from the backspace or search key or something. Swiping from the swipekey to the backspace key also works but it's not very good on large screens

keith.trnka
07-01-2013, 1:39 PM
For hiding the keyboard, if you don't like the back button, you can also swype from swype key to backspace to hide it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Jacob.W
07-01-2013, 2:49 PM
Hi Vinz3nt,

Your first idea is an existing feature request. See the thread here (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?11331-Add-automatic-text-replacement-shortcuts-macros) and contribute your thoughts!

For your second issue, use your device's back button (as mcarver2000 suggests) or swype from the Swype key to backspace (as ketih.trnka suggests)

Thanks for the feedback, hope that helps!

mountainbikermark
07-01-2013, 4:04 PM
Thanks. I learned something new about Swype by reading this thread.
Thank you

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

marrkede
07-03-2013, 5:22 AM
Thanks for sharing. This thread increased my capabilities and expertise.

Scribe
07-04-2013, 6:40 AM
Disappointed to hear that this is low on the priority list. I have PhraseExpress on my Win7 desktop - three key dabs and any of those things you type over and over again pops into pace - e/m address, post address, names etc. Saves me hundreds of keystrokes a day, but doesn't fit JB. Currently using Textspansion on JB 4.1.1 - partly fills the hole but an integrated Swype feature would be far better. Surely even Swypre developers get bored inputting such phrases dozens of times a day?
Push it to top of the list! (Followed by a Win 8 keyboard)

cowbar
07-08-2013, 1:37 PM
This deserves a vote. I wish I could +1 it or whatever in the forums, since I also want this feature.

Sliped
08-15-2013, 12:11 AM
I'm using Swype on my Samsung Galaxy Y phone.

Is there a way to make Swype autocomplete emails or usernames when filling in forms in browser windows?

Thanks.

mcarver2000
08-15-2013, 4:58 AM
Generally this is a feature of the browser (e.g., Chrome - Settings - Autofill forms, one can specify text for certain form fields in advance).

You can force emails, and other non-words into your dictionary. It may at times require to select the email/non-words via the editor layer. Select the text you want to add, tap the Swype key and you should be prompted to add to dictionary. When entering, if the email doesn't show as a suggestion when gesturing, you may need to start tapping out the text.

Jacob.W
08-15-2013, 1:58 PM
Hi Sliped,

Mcarver speaks the truth, this is typically browser territory. I definitely recommend adding frequently used email addresses to your Personal Dictionary though, this can save you some time instead of having to manually type them out.

In the long run, there are others who have suggested an automatic text replacement/macro feature (find the Forum thread here (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?11331-Add-automatic-text-replacement-expansion)) that could help in scenarios like this. Typing out something like myem (my email) could input your entire email address.

Thanks!

alexcomp
09-17-2013, 1:07 PM
I'd like to store my address one information like this:
1622 Anywhere St.
So that when I type 1622. It will pop up the full string.

I can highlight 1622 Anywhere St. and tap the Swype key twice, but it will not store the full string. Apparently, it is not possible to store a dictionary word that has spaces. I am able to store my hard password because there are no spaces. By the same token, I would like to put in my city address (Gadsden, AL 35905), and have that pop up automatically when I type in Gad. These seem to be very common things to be able to do and in fact I have been able to do that for many years with other kinds of form filling software.

It seems like a no-brainer that Swype plus Dragon should be able to do this – ideally these strings might be accessed by the Swype key plus an unused keyboard code. I am using the latest paid version. I believe.

I have checked my galaxy note II and do not find a real help file. I'll check this forum and the Swype website if it exists, but if anyone can give me a link to "the real help file." I would appreciate it.

Jacob.W
09-17-2013, 3:00 PM
Hi Alex,

We don't yet have a way to automatically replace text from a shortcut like 1622, or Gad for an address (or to offer an entire phrase based on a keyword). Though we are interested in such a feature and have it logged as a possible future improvement.

The best help file you can find for Swype is included in the application itself, just long press on the Swype key in the bottom left then select "How to Swype" or Help > "How to Swype"

You can see the main thread on a similar feature here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?11331-Add-automatic-text-replacement-shortcuts-macros

You can also learn more about Swype at our website: http://www.swype.com/about/what-is-swype/

Thanks!

raymm3852
09-20-2013, 3:12 PM
If this isn't at the top of your priority list, what is?

RichJacot
10-02-2013, 8:30 AM
I'm currently using the preinstalled version of swype on an AT&T S4 and I'm trying to figure out how to create a gesture or a shortcut.

Meaning....

As an example if I type omg it will switch it to "oh my god" or if I can create a gesture say dragging from the swype key to say the O key to insert the "oh my god" into a txt.

Can this be done with swype?

If not, is there any one that can point me in the right direction?

Before someone says it... yes I used the forum search feature. ;-)

Tks!

734matt
10-15-2013, 2:32 PM
I do not believe even the paid Swype on the play store has this capability. However, this does seem like a wonderful addition to swype, so you may want to consider posting this under the "Feature Requests" sub-forum.

Jacob.W
10-15-2013, 3:02 PM
Hi RichJacot,

Good idea! I've merged your thread with the primary one on this topic.

Thanks for the feedback!

Abu-Khulzat
12-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Automatic text replacement is one of the biggest features that I miss on Swype. Many others have it and even iPhone has it. All of my friends who switch from iPhone to android ask me which keyboard is the best, and I when I tell them it'ss Swype, the first thing they ask if it has text shortcuts. Then I have to tell them that unfortunately Swype doesn't have this but Kii, AI, Slideit and others have it. They then stick to other options.
This is a very killing feature, so Swype developers should adress it ASAP.

THANKS

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

bberryhill0
12-27-2013, 1:11 PM
I bought Smart Keyboard Pro just for this feature. It would be much better if I could do it in Swype.

Swyped from my LG G2 VS980 using Tapatalk 12-27

AtlantaCust
01-02-2014, 6:27 AM
Just want to say that I too would love to see Swype support a text shortcut feature like the otherwise totally-inferior Apple iOS keyboard does.

strummy
01-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Even though the age of this thread indicates that this will *never* be high enough on development's list to get done, I'd like to add to the collective voice asking for this functionality to be added to the keyboard. It's frustrating when users, who have experience and insight on product enhancements that would be useful, are disregarded.

EDIT: I just noticed how many views this thread has. How can this NOT be a high priority feature request?

bberryhill0
01-22-2014, 2:21 PM
Nuance can't even track down the lag that makes Swype unusable on Samsung devices. Dragon is the only important thing.

SwiftKeyed from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.4.4

Abu-Khulzat
01-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Actually, couple of weeks ago they mentioned in this thread that this feature is in their agenda. So waiting for new releases with bug fixes and new features

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

kcmartz
02-28-2014, 3:27 PM
Adding in my vote. I use text expansion on my pc and would love it on my nexus 7 and galaxy note 10.1!

kcmartz
03-30-2014, 10:22 PM
No update on this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bberryhill0
03-30-2014, 11:37 PM
No update on this?
Use Smart Keyboard Pro...

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.4.13

spacebar
04-21-2014, 7:25 AM
Another vote here to help the text expander cause

Allerheiligen
04-30-2014, 6:57 AM
Take the app Everclip and use it together with Swype. Make your textmacros in Everclip with your abbreviation and longtext, called there "snippets". With/In Swype tab the abbreviation, tab the Swypekey, tab the Swypekey again, hold and swype to "v". The abbreviation will be changed to longtext.... Works fine for me! (S3).

Here a long discription for the plenty people in Germany, using Swype:

Workaround Swype Text-Makro.

Voraussetzung sind das App Everclip und Swype in der aktuellen Version.

Ein sogen. Snippet mit Abkürzung (min. 3 Zeichen) und Langtext in Everclip aufnehmen und das Kürzel gleich markieren, um es im Wörterbuch von Swype aufzunehmen.

Beispiel: Ybg = Beste Grüße

Ausführung: In einer Textbox das Kürzel Ybg eingeben (swypen) und sofort die Swypetaste einmal zum (Löschmarkieren) drücken und ein zweites Mal von der Swypetaste zu V (einfügen) wischen. Fertig. Das Kürzel Ybg wurde durch “Beste Grüße“ ersetzt.

Was ist passiert? Sofort nach der Eingabe von Ybg hat das App Everclip den Langtext in die Zwischenablage geschoben. Eigentlich sollte er sofort auf der Schreiboberfläche erscheinen. Bei meinem S3 klappt dies leider nicht. Meine Anfrage bei Everclip läuft noch.

Daher macht nun Swype den Rest. Nach der Eingabe von Ybg steht der Schreibcursor direkt hinter dem "g".Ein Tab auf die Swypetaste markiert den dreistelligen Begriff. Der nächste Wisch von der Swypetaste zum "v" tauscht nun den Inhalt des markierten "Ybg" mit dem Inhalt des Zwischenspeichers "Beste Grüße" aus.

Da normalerweise auch bei Everclip der Austausch erst nach der Leertaste stattfindet, ist bei diesem Workaround nur der letzte Wisch von der Swypetaste zum "v" zusätzlich erforderlich.

Moderator note: I've merged together a few of your posts so that this is slightly more organized. Thanks for understanding - Swype Community Management

Jacob.W
04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Merged together multiple threads on this issue so we have a better representation of user interest and more focused discussion.

Thanks for offering a workaround Allerheiligen!

chuco35
11-09-2014, 1:13 PM
Merged together multiple threads on this issue so we have a better representation of user interest and more focused discussion.

Too complicated. We're still waiting for a swype solution.

chuco35
11-09-2014, 8:33 PM

Any word from the administrators on when we can expect text expansion, as opposed to merely pointing outcomplex workarounds?

mcarver2000
11-10-2014, 5:47 AM
Sometime around the time the temperature drops severely in a place known as Hades. I'm trying to recall the last time a feature users requested was added to Swype, or any new feature. If I sound cynical, it's because I am. Didn't used to be that way about Swype, but that was a long time ago.

bberryhill0
11-10-2014, 7:42 AM
Back before Nuance bought it, Swype was a supported product. No more.

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro 4.5.2

chuco35
11-10-2014, 6:43 PM
Sometime around the time the temperature drops severely in a place known as Hades. I'm trying to recall the last time a feature users requested was added to Swype, or any new feature. If I sound cynical, it's because I am. Didn't used to be that way about Swype, but that was a long time ago.

That's just too bad. I hate hearing this, being a new user. I love the system. But shoot, BlackBerry was out with text expansion like 10 years ago. It can't be rocket science. Does Nuance really have such disregard for its users?

chuco35
11-10-2014, 7:12 PM
This is the one feature I still sorely miss from BlackBerry. It's a user-defined dictionary that will replace a text entry with another specified one, like "btw" becoming "by the way." There is a setting for Smart Case (lower case text yields lower case result and upper yields upper) and Specified Case (any entry yields the result exactly as defined, eg "mon" yields "Monday.") I haven't had to type the days of the week or the word "tomorrow" in years! This becomes a huge time saver and would likely revolutionize text entry as much as Swype already did on its own. Please, please, PLEASE consider adding this.
Thanks!

-Imp

This feature is on our radar as a possible feature for future versions of Swype, but is not at the top of our list at the moment. Please add your thoughts and share your opinion on the feature here!

-Swype Community Management

Is it on your radar yet?

bberryhill0
11-10-2014, 7:15 PM
This is what Nuance is about. Swype is not really part of it.

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?t=16091

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro 4.5.2

exzacklyright
06-14-2015, 8:55 AM
Hopefully this comes next... I really need text/phrase shortcuts

wysocki
09-23-2015, 3:44 PM
I really love swype, BUT I really want the text expansion feature. There are so many items I could use it on so I'm now looking around for any other keyboard that supports it - even if I have to use the default Google keyboard!

Let me know if swype ever gets it!

eaterjoe
10-06-2015, 7:09 AM
i need that feature to. i can't imagine, that it is much work to implement a replacement of text-strings.

please. PLEASE! P L E A S E !

thanks.

;)

EaterJoe

LACOUR
10-23-2015, 2:12 PM
It seems that Swype does not care about his customers needs, this thread is years old and this function is a basic thing on any iphonefor instance... I paid for the pro version but apparently this was useless regarding this.

Does someone know which keyboard I shall install to get this feature once I will have get rid of swype please?

bberryhill0
10-23-2015, 2:15 PM
I use Smart Keyboard for text expansion but Swype for everything else.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.5.2.

ikjadoon
05-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Bump. Would love this feature

troop99
05-19-2016, 1:19 AM
Bump. Musthave feature imo! Bought the full version thinking it must be there. Deliver it please!

Vaibhav_Jain
05-28-2016, 12:30 AM
I don't know whether this has been mentioned before but you can used an app called text aide. You need to have xposed for the text expansion to work though.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

bfassett
09-06-2016, 1:16 PM
Back in the days of Palm, there was an app associated with the keyboard
that would allow the User to create shortcuts that would be replaced with
the full string.
For instance:

Standard in the App
.dt - current date in MM/DD/YY format
.tm - current time in HH:MM format
.dtm - MM/DD/YY HH:MM
and similar items

User defined
.ecr - El Camino Real
.sf - San Francisco
and such...

It would be really nice if something like this could be added to Swype.

sixwordslong
09-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Just popping by to say "hey, me too". This seems like such a simple feature to implement to me.

Seemed easy enough on iOS (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?39874-Text-Shortcuts-Implemented)... :confused:

rlanza1054
10-04-2016, 7:31 AM
Please provide a way of having Keyboard Macros. Or at least the ability to use shortkeys for a long word or phrase

Scritter
11-08-2016, 5:32 PM
Yes please. Being able tho enter the date/time from a shortcut would be great. Or would this feature require a gesture?

PhoenixLuk
12-15-2016, 1:34 AM
I Vote this feature too :3

Tazfanr6
12-19-2016, 9:27 PM
Someone else here asking for a macro feature.
I'd love one so that I can create a macro for inputting my address mainly, and also for creating genetic emails etc.
Surely it is a must have feature for Swype by now.
Here's hoping.