PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts/Custom Acronyms/Custom Swype Patterns

Thinkfire
09-12-2010, 9:52 AM
The ability to add your own acronyms and/or shortcut gestures would be infinitely useful to me and others.

I use the GPS a LOT, 8-12 times a day and having to finger in kalamazoo, mi or mattawan, mi, or paw paw, mi or lawton, mi is a bit tedious.

I would like to be able to add shortcuts. IE: LAW expands to lawton, mi, KZOO expands to kalamazoo, MI, etc etc. or even gestures like circling L 2 times expands to Lawton, MI or circling it 3 times expands to Lawrence, MI.

Or inputing LAW comes up with word prediction and you can select lawrence, mi or lawton, mi

This request was VERY popular in your old forums it seems, it didn't get a lot of votes because it was scattered over many different posts. Some had official responses dating back to 8 months ago saying this was a great idea.

Did this idea get tossed, forgotten or just taking a long time to implement.

grandpa
09-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Custom patterns would help me greatly with hyphenated names also.

jthork
12-23-2010, 2:11 PM
I'm a recovering Blackberry user and used the shortcut feature all the time. In fact, I found this post after searching the web for some way to do this with Swype. For me it's much easier to Swype a shortcut of "JPT" instead of swyping my whole name, "Jesmiah Peddington Thorkshwallow." I also used this on the BB for special content such as a work or home address, etc. Would add significant functionality to Swype.

cron912
06-14-2011, 8:34 AM
Yes, please! The lack of shortcuts/replacements and patterns/gestures is why Swype is not my main keyboard.

Peer Schmidt
09-04-2011, 2:08 PM
That's why I like SlideIT.

rob.boehm
09-11-2011, 2:52 PM
I'm a big proponent of this functionality myself I hope we can expand the dictionary editor to support these kinds of gestures in the near future. Keep posting requests and I'm sure we'll be able to make time to implement it!