PDA

View Full Version : No Language Pack Installed?

zedoriah
09-11-2010, 9:54 PM
I uninstalled the previous Swype installation and installed the new one. The "Language / Select Swype Language" option is grayed out.

There is no language pacm,k installed, so Swype has gone from being an awesome tool to being a useless keyboard since no words get completed.

I just need the English language pack. Why is this so hard to find?

brian.resnik
09-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Sounds like your installation was prematurely terminated. Please check the two "READ ME FIRST" threads stickied at the top of the troulbeshooting forum. Do the basic troubleshooting steps, and also try the workaround listed for "Swype is configured for another device..." as the same steps may help solve your problem.

If nothing in those to threads works for you, please post your debugging logs here. Details on how to do that are listed in the "HOW-TO Get BETA help" thread.

zedoriah
09-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Device:
Motorola Droid
2.2 Froyo
CM6 Rom
AppToSD: No
Root: Yes
Error: Configured for another device, will operate with limited functionality

Debug log:
http://pastebin.com/W1x7Ww0f

The Swype keyboard will come up, but it will only let me tap keys to type. No Swyping works. There are no languge packs installed. Tried all trouble shooting and work arounds listed under known issues.

Checking /data/data/com.swype.inputmethod shows no language files.

brian.resnik
09-12-2010, 4:31 PM
Please try the following:

Make sure Swype and SwypeInstaller are both INSTALLED (even if showing errors when trying to use)
Go to Settings -> Language & Keyboard and UNCHECK Swype.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Swype Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> SwypeInstaller Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Delete everything from the download directory on my SDcard
Force Stop every process I can without making the system unusable in Settings -> Applications -> Running (tab)
Install the update.

zedoriah
09-12-2010, 6:36 PM
Same result:

The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality.

Please contact Swype about this issue.

Here is all that's installed in /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod:

./shared_prefs
./shared_prefs/com.swype.android.inputmethod_preferences.xml
./swypedata
./swypedata/udb
./swypedata/udb/Options.bin
./swypedata/udb/UserData.udb
./lib
./lib/libSwypeCore.so

From various nandroid Backups I see that there's usually language packs installed there. So I'm at the same point: The keyboard is there but with no language pack I can't actually "swype" anything.

brian.resnik
09-12-2010, 6:41 PM
I/ActivityManager( 1124): Process com.rs.autokiller (pid 2768) has died.

Please try uninstalling your autokiller :) It may be terminating the Swype installation prematurely. Thanks!

zedoriah
09-12-2010, 6:47 PM
I've also tried manually putting in the EnglishUS* (and Spanish*) and a languages.lst in there, but still nothing doing.

Long pressing on Q to get the language list still shows up blank.

zedoriah
09-12-2010, 6:49 PM
"auto-killer" just tweaks the android task killer values. for this install it's set to stock values. I can uninstall it, and do it again, but I can assure you the result will be the same.

zedoriah
09-12-2010, 7:02 PM
Indeed. Same results.

zedoriah
09-12-2010, 8:23 PM
Wiped to a fresh ROM, installed worked. Now reinstalling the rest of my apps and settings. Oh well. It's worth it to have Swype working again!

Guru Smaran
05-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Hi,

I own a Galaxy 3 which was running on 2.1. I upgraded to Froyo yesterday and I noticed that Swype stopped working. I tried doing the following:

1. Download the Beta version from beta.swype.com.
2. Installed the downloaded SwypeInstaller.
3. Ran the SwypeInstaller to see if I can upgrade it. I couldn't. I was asked to uninstall first.
4. I went to Manage Applications and then to Swype but the Uninstall button is grayed out.

When going through all these forums, I noticed that there are no language packs with Swype (Swype settings show a disabled Language setting, and long-pressing Q just shows me a blank Language menu). Any idea how I should get English enabled?

I have already tried stuff like switching between the regular keyboard and Swype, and trying a restart to see if it solves the problem (yes, I'm a Windows user :P), but still doesn't work. Is there anything else I can try?

NOTE: I'm also getting the 'limited functionality' error.

PS: Should I be posting this in a separate thread?

brian.resnik
05-04-2011, 7:24 AM
Guru Smaran: What region are you in (geographically speaking)?

Guru Smaran
05-04-2011, 7:31 AM
Hi Brian,

I'm in India.

Regards,
Guru

whysix
07-01-2011, 4:04 AM
And i'm in Sweden, Swedish doesn't work and there's little to NO information about this anywhere, and if so the information is so scattered that no one can find it, and you're supposed to be lingustic people, how about a shared media of information? :)

Guru Smaran
07-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi,

Looks like Samsung released an update in Kies which takes care of this problem. I updated the firmware again and this time, Swype works fine!

You could try doing an update to check if it works now...

rob.boehm
07-03-2011, 5:18 PM
And i'm in Sweden, Swedish doesn't work and there's little to NO information about this anywhere, and if so the information is so scattered that no one can find it, and you're supposed to be lingustic people, how about a shared media of information? :)

Unfortunately Sweedish is not currently a part of the beta test. Here is a link to a list of available languages per screen resolution:
http://beta.swype.com/android/supported/

whysix
07-18-2011, 4:47 AM
Unfortunately Sweedish is not currently a part of the beta test. Here is a link to a list of available languages per screen resolution:
http://beta.swype.com/android/supported/

Finding this information is annoyingly hard,
could you (as an administrator) please gather up all basic information in one place, especially here in the forums?

And secondly, how come you hard code in screen resolutions? having a scaling system should be way better because the future will consist of bigger and better resolutions, hardcoding your software to one resolution (or in this case a few more then one) is just plain bad in any developing way.

Thirdly, can't you export the Swype swedish dictionary to the Beta just to let us have it?
Because i amongst others will simply just stop using the software because there's no point in beta testing it, if you don't have anything to write.
Currently i'm just using English dictionary and button-bashing in the letters i need to write my text instead of swiping across the screen.
Especially with , , ..
You've managed to ship both a keyboard and a dictionary with Samsungs galaxy S2, just release that and let us have it so we can actually beta test?

whysix
07-19-2011, 4:32 AM
And i'm not the only one thinking so:
[17-07, 07:02] keesvanbrink: Would you be so kind to mention the fact that Android 1.6 is not supported loud and clear on the beta pages! You robbed me of 2 hours of my time! Thank you very much!

That's the first comment i found joining in today...