PDA

View Full Version : Swype doesn't work after upgrading Dream 32B to Cyanogenmod 6.0.

yeswap
09-11-2010, 4:21 PM
I've been a happy Swype user since the start of the Beta.

However, I recently upgraded my Google Ion to (HTC Magic 3B) to Cyanogenmod 6.0 (Froyo) and I have spent hours trying to get get Swype to work on it.
Installing always fails with the "Download of the package failed. Swype is already installed. Please uninstall and try again".

The error message is incorrect as I very definitely un-installed Swpe before running the Swype Installer. Furthermore the install actually did succeed as I can enable Swype, however when I try to use it it complains that "Swype is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality".

Update: I finally got it to work!! I had to use Swapper to create a swap file, delete all my widgets and kill all tasks with Task Killer Advanced before running Swype Installer and it finally worked.

I still don't understand why Swype is so hard to install or why a separate Swype Installer is even needed. Other IMEs install reliably using the Android system installer.

Charlson Ho
09-11-2010, 7:27 PM
I get this too. I have the T-Mobile Mytouch 3G rooted to Cyanogenmod 6 Stable and now I can't install Swype.

brian.resnik
09-11-2010, 7:47 PM
Please see the instructions for what to do if you get the error "Swype is configured for another device" found in our "KNOWN ISSUES" thread. The solution instructions are the same.

takeshi
09-12-2010, 9:24 AM
I still don't understand why Swype is so hard to install or why a separate Swype Installer is even needed. Other IMEs install reliably using the Android system installer.
Swype is a limited beta. That's why. Their installer authenticates your credentials to verify that you are authorized to use the beta. Other IME's are irrelevant since they're available to anyone.

yeswap
09-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Paid apps in the market are tied to your Google ID, it seems like Swype could do the same. Plus the Beta is time limited and will undoubtedly stop working when the paid version is released. So why does Swype care how many people run the Beta? Opening the Beta to all would give you better coverage of different handsets, operators and use cases and thus expose more edge case bugs resulting in a better product.