PDA

View Full Version : Make apostrophes required for "wasn't" because "want" is what I wanted

wisswee
09-09-2010, 8:27 PM
The "N" key is too close to the apostrophe key. "Want" keeps coming up as "wasn't" almost every time. I would like to suggest that the apostrophe key needs to be swyped in order to be in the word.

HTC Incredible
ADR6300
FroYo Android 2.2
Swype 1.56.30.7625

brian.resnik
09-10-2010, 12:33 PM
This will be fixed in an upcoming update.

mustardpie
09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
This will be fixed in an upcoming update.

I just downloaded and installed Swype Beta 2.4.44.10912.t100 (the Sep. release) on my Droid Incredible running Android 2.2. "Want" and "wasn't" are still insufficiently distinguished. I set "show complete trace" on. I then experimented with "speed vs accuracy" settings at the limits of "fast response" and of "error tolerance," and in the middle between the two. I still couldn't find a pattern that reliably would input "want" and not "wasn't" even when I repeated the patterns very closely over and over again. Inevitably, "wasn't" would at least occasionally be inputted even when the patter did not at all encroach on the apostrophe key.

Please require a clear gesture to the apostrophe for the entry of words with apostrophes.

webarnes
09-18-2010, 10:16 AM
When typing "want", try swiping in a smooth curve going W-A-Shift-N-T.

You shouldn't even get the word choice dialog. If you swipe downwards at the N, it assumes you're typing "wasn't". Instead, try to be swiping upwards when you get to the N.

MrObvious
09-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Good tip webarnes but we shouldn't have to do that. I agree, make contractions (any and all of them requiring an apostrophe) where you have to go to the comma key only, otherwise it won't work.

winmod21
12-06-2012, 7:20 AM
Hmmm, it's the opposite for me. Whenever I swype 'wasnt' I continually get 'want'. :confused: No matter how I swype 'wasnt', only 'want' appears in my text with 'wasn't' as the first alternative choice. I can swype 'wasnt' 'til I'm blue in the face . . .and only 'want' will input in the text.

However, I'm only experiencing a few minor bugs, all in all, and Swype Beta 'Red' is still my favorite keyboard and far and away the best I've ever used. :cool:

Jacob.W
12-06-2012, 3:05 PM
Hmmm, it's the opposite for me. Whenever I swype 'wasnt' – I continually get 'want'. :confused: No matter how I swype 'wasnt', only 'want' appears in my text – with 'wasn't' as the first alternative choice. I can swype 'wasnt' 'til I'm blue in the face . . .and only 'want' will input in the text.

However, I'm only experiencing a few minor bugs, all in all, and Swype Beta 'Red' is still my favorite keyboard and far and away the best I've ever used. :cool:

Try to swype through the apostrophe after "n" for "wasn't" and it should come up as the first choice!

handled_badly
12-06-2012, 3:40 PM
Now all you have to do is make Swype not suggest words with apostrophes when you don't glide through the apostrophes to begin with?