PDA

View Full Version : SWYPE freezes constantly

tmwsiy
09-06-2010, 6:59 AM
I have a mytouch Slide with T-Mobile 2.1 update 1.

Swype came pre-installed and I have used it as the only keyboard/input method for two months completely successfully, happily and without any problems whatsoever.

However, last week, just for the Hell of it, I switched to "Touch Input" just to check out that keyboard. I used it for a couple of days and switched back to Swype. Coincidence or not, but now Swype is freezing ALL THE TIME. Like every ten minutes or so. It simply will not take any characters by swyping or pecking. Even if I change input methods to dictation or touch, those do not work either. I can kill the swype process and sometimes it will work for a brief period, but usually I need to reboot the phone. This issue does not happen when in Dragon Dictation or Touch.

What can I possibly do to get my Swype back and working?

tmwsiy
09-08-2010, 8:27 AM
BUMP!

Does no one have any suggestions or work-arounds or anything?
Can't use Swype now is very frustrating.

brian.resnik
09-08-2010, 6:39 PM
Sorry for the delay. We've been quite busy at the offices lately!

Can you please try going to Settings -> Applications -> Swype and clicking the "Clear Data" button.

This issue often crops up when Swype is trying to scrape the user's address book and is either running into conflicts/errors, or encounters an address book that is larger than Swype is able to handle. We're looking into solutions for the general issue, but hopefully the steps suggested above will help work around the problem for now.

tmwsiy
09-08-2010, 8:07 PM
Terrific, thanks for the reply Brian. I read your response about a half hour ago, did what you suggested, and have been Swyping since then without even one crash. I think that definitely solved the issue. Thank you again for the help.

gsutton57
06-16-2013, 4:26 AM
I don't understand why ever thread says go to apps and uninstall blah blah blah! I have Swype installed and love it but it keeps crashing my phone so I want to uninstall but can't. Apparently, I can't do that without root access. WTF is that!

mcarver2000
06-16-2013, 6:01 AM
If Swype was pre-installed on your device, your carrier/manufacturer loaded it as a system installed app. Talk to them about it. If your device is ICS or JB, you should be able to disable pre-installed apps.

I don't understand why ever thread says go to apps and uninstall blah blah blah! I have Swype installed and love it but it keeps crashing my phone so I want to uninstall but can't. Apparently, I can't do that without root access. WTF is that!