PDA

View Full Version : An ignore list (for passwords etc.) would be nice

rewtnull
09-05-2010, 5:27 PM
I'm not a big fan of having my passwords stored in clear text (something I assume the dictionary does?), and would therefore like a function to either encrypt or otherwise protect words of my choice from getting put in the dictionary in clear text. :)

brian.resnik
09-08-2010, 7:19 PM
We've actually spent a lot of time working on Swype to make sure it recognizes password and other sensitive fields and doesn't store things typed in them. So long as the application or webpage developer has properly flagged their field as a password field (and not just as "hidden"), Swype won't remember things typed there.

mattots
09-09-2010, 6:17 AM
The principle of app developers properly flagging up password fields is fine, but the reality is there are always going to be cases where that hasn't happened. I usually end up switching to a different keyboard in these cases, or taking the rather time-consuming route in Swype of entering each letter individually, then going back and removing all the spaces, which ensures the password isn't saved. So it would be extremely useful to have a way to stop Swype automatically adding words to the dictionary.

Some other keyboards (HTC_IME mod keyboard for instance) have an option to disable the automatic dictionary adding feature, but still provide a means of manually adding words to the dictionary when required, from the selection popup. I think this would be incredibly useful in Swype - an option to turn off automatic adding to the dictionary, but some way of still manually adding a word to the dictionary when required.

This is also an issue when you're entering place names, postcodes, email addresses, or other things that you're not going to want to use again/regularly. The majority of words you use over and over in everyday parlance are already in the dictionary - there are only a limited number of words you want to add yourself, the rest you want to keep out of the dictionary. At least this is my experience.

Turbojimmy
10-28-2010, 7:44 PM
I also have a problem with passwords popping up in the word choice box. It got so bad that I eventually turned the pop up box completely off.