PDA

View Full Version : CTRL, ALT, ESC keys wanted

rewtnull
09-05-2010, 4:14 PM
I don't seem to find these keys represented anywhere in swype. The lack of these keys makes it difficult to use terminal emulators/ssh clients + screen f.i.

I know Connectbot has onscreen ctrl/esc, but unfortunately they occasionally bug out on my sgs. Besides, that doesn't take care of the terminal issue where such keys are occasionally required. It would feel more comfortable to have the keys in question somewhere on my onscreen keyboard anyway.

Xaneth
09-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Aside from a voice input key, I would like to see this also. I use terminal emulator to ssh to servers at work, and can't use the Swype keyboard at all since it is missing these keys, I have to use my physical keyboard instead.

Vetdoctor
09-12-2010, 2:13 PM
Actually, a"tab" key to jump from field to field is all I need. Hmmm, bolding ain't easy.

n00dle
01-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Tab and escape would be quite nice, as vi is really difficult to use otherwise.

mountainbikermark
01-23-2011, 3:40 PM
Have you tried sliding from the Swype key to the sym key?

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

bigsupersquid
03-20-2011, 6:25 PM
To jump on the bandwagon here...
I'd like to have a programmer's keyboard layout myself.
I feel that FN, ESC, CTRL keys would be great too.
I got my Android phone because I could write for the device on the device without having to use my desktop computer, while I'm out of the house. My Optimus has no keyboard, so I'm stuck with an onscreen keypad. With my fingers too fat to get good response from peck-peck typing on my 3" screen, swype has been my best option, but it seems geared to texters and isn't very friendly about special characters.
I don't know how the extra keys would be implemented, maybe a 6th keypad after the other 5 available already in swype, or an extra row of keys on top (like a 'real' keyboard) which could be turned on in the swype options might be better for me.
without those 'extra' keys it's tricky to get full use of my system while running Debian on my phone, which I need to compile programs directly on-device.
Out of the several keyboards I've tried on this phone, Swype is by far the most functional, as long as I'm willing to make a few extra keypresses to get at the common symbols on the 3rd keypad (SYM then SHIFT)
Thanks for listening!

handled_badly
03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Same here, but... hmm. There's already a SYM key and a Shift key, and with the Swype key they cycle through approximately six keyboards total (lowercase, uppercase, an interesting capslock variant, symbols, more symbols, and navigation/clipboard.

There's a tab key, it's shift+Space (or long-press Space), but it usually only inserts a tab. Swype is only as bright as the Android app that calls it; and thus it can probably only offer a "tab" or "next" function if the app shows it where to go next.

As for the rest of it, well... I like developing for Android too, and an app like SilverEdit goes a long ways in making me feel comfortable. Especially those dedicated symbol keys for a variety of web-based languages. If only there was some variation of that program that would allow you to choose your own. Is Swype up to the challenge?

martinhentges
03-28-2011, 7:48 PM
I do not think that there is any need of ctrl, alt and esc key on swype. Swype is perfectly running on cell phone and specially on smart phone.

sejtam
03-29-2011, 9:19 PM
I would like to second the need for ESC, CTRL ALT which should act as toggles to stay on until the next keypress (our even lock like shift does, stop one can enter numerical keycodes)

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

handled_badly
03-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Keeping the shift-symbol mode active would be nice, come to think of it.

Sent from my Jax using Tapatalk

bigsupersquid
04-10-2011, 5:06 AM
I just found a better-functioning shell terminal than the one I was using, but it totally lacks any special keys. The terminal app I was using primarily uses the vol-down button for CTRL
If some similar functionality could be implemented in swype there would be no need to modify the existing appearance of swype. My device has several hardkeys which could be used for special keys like ALT, CTRL. Such functionality would really make my life easier in the shell, where i probably spend as much or more time than browsing or messaging.

gracedissolved
10-18-2012, 9:21 AM
I would be effusively grateful for this. I just hatehatehatehate having to switch keyboards just to get stuff to work in shell, and Hacker's Keyboard is terrible for typing on, so in the end I'm swapping back and forth repeatedly. There's no reason these couldn't fit comfortably on the edit layout; the buttons there are currently huge *and* none of them have any secondary long-press behaviors.