PDA

View Full Version : Install problem - download never starts

symmetric
09-02-2010, 7:57 AM
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it:
I was following the procedure for updating the beta and couldn't get past the browser download page. The text "Starting download..." briefly flashed up, but nothing happened afterwards.

The solution turned out to be simple, but it took me a long time to figure it out. I used a file manager to look at the download directory and there were about ten Swype-Installer-x.apk files, probably one for each attempt. I just picked one of them and the rest of the install worked fine.

p.s. I had to register to post this and it literally took me 10 or 15 minutes to get though the captcha test. Even when I used the sound option, it kept failing. I'm on the verge of refusing to use sites that use that captcha test...maybe its just me, but more often than not I fail the test...honest, I'm human!

brian.resnik
09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi symmetric,

Thanks for posting your solution! Hopefully this will help other users with the same issue.

Fortunately, we only use reCAPTCHA for our registration page, heh. Sometimes I have trouble with them too. Usually, if I'm having trouble, it can be because the images and verification system have become desynchronized. Next time, try holding SHIFT on your keyboard while you press the REFRESH button. This will force the page to reload ALL page assets (instead of using cached files) and you should get a freshly, synchronized reCAPTCHA.