PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean it's not an Android phone?

Blackcloud
09-01-2010, 6:33 PM
I'm all set now. Maybe this info will help someone else.

After receiving the update to build FRG22D, I lost the ability to Swype. Same thing happened when I got updated to 2.2 (FRG22) a few weeks ago. This time however, in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling, when I clicked on the link in the "invite email", the browser told me "Sorry! This is not an Android phone." What?! What do you mean it's not an Android phone??? Of course it is!

I struggled for most of the day as time permitted and I couldn't figure out what what wrong. Tonight, I figured out the error of my ways.

I have concluded that a few weeks ago when I configured the xScope browser to behave as if it were a computer and not a mobile device it will prevent access to the apk via xScope. I was able to download the apk and reinstall Swype from the original browser. When I pondered on the differences between the browsers it dawned on me what had happened. I changed xScope back to behaving as an Android device and I can now download the apk from either browser.

Hope this helps someone else. I wasted too many brain cells today trying to figure out why my phone was mysteriously no longer an Android phone.

May my embarrassment be your prosperity!

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 7:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Blackcloud! Glad you figured things out. This is covered in our old FAQ but I seem to have forgotten to post it here on the new forums. Thanks for staying on top of things for me, hehe :)

Rhodohilo
09-10-2010, 6:41 AM
You're lucky. Mine is simple. My nephew clicked on the link to upload the beta from the computer. Not my phone. So, I have to just wait until Swype drops the beta and goes legit. I can't beat my nephew for making an honest mistake. I am stuck with the "Sorry! This is not an Android phone." for a reminder. Hurry up and finish the beta. Hate the wait.

HTC Aria/Liberty

jayp.chan
09-11-2010, 12:30 PM
This post was a life saver thank you!

Bandare
09-11-2010, 4:18 PM
I've just had a similar issue except I use the default browser anyway. It said I didn't have an Android phone but I have an HTC Desire. If you are the same as me go in to your browser, then settings. Make sure that you have it set to run as in mobile mode. That way it will download and read the phone as Android.

slainez916
09-11-2010, 9:28 PM
Thank you so much! I thought I was going to get stuck with stock touch input.

OneKarl
09-12-2010, 3:11 AM
Thanks for this. Mobile view needed on HTC Desire.

odb6909
09-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Any ideas on Sansung Moment?