PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Swype Beta and Froyo on restart

Opsman
08-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Mod Note: Issue is known and documented in the known error thread here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2279-Swype-is-Configured-for-Another-Device-Flashing-Blue-Box

Hi,

I have just spent a couple of hours following all the suggestions below to the absolute letter several times but the problem still persists. Please see below all the information you have asked for and I hope we may be able to get a solution.

HTC DESIRE
Android 2.2 (Build Number 2.09.405.8 CL218634
I have been using the Swype Beta (Registered User - philneale1@gmail.com) since it started and have updated since the new version in June.

Since updating my HTC Desire to the new HTC 2.2 Rom I find that when the phone first boots up I cannot “swype” but can just use the tapping method even though Swype is selected as the input method. If I try to swype the blue trace line shows but I get an audible tone indicating an error and the text does not show up.
I have had the install email re sent to me 3 times now and have also tried a factory reset on my phone before installing but to no avail. It works properly the first time after a reinstall but then fails again as soon as I have switched my phone off.
I have tried to get a response on the forum but Swype support seem to dismiss this as a problem that is linked to unauthorised versions of Swype and I have not had a reply.
I can assure you that I am using an authorised version straight from Swype Beta.
I also understand that there will be teething problems with a Beta and I am prepared to be patient and work through those because I really want to use Swype.
I just need to know that you are aware that this is still a problem with your official Beta and Froyo 2.2 and that there may be a solution to it soon.

My IMEI is removed by admin - careful! Your IMEI is precious! It can be used to spoof your device! :o
I am not using APPS2SD
I have been using Estrongs Task manager but have uninstalled it and removed all trace of any backups of Swype as instructed by you before trying to uninstall and reinstall Swype.
My Carrier is Vodafone UK.

Please help. I know this is a small problem but it is a frustrating one.

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Hi Opsman,

I'm sorry you feel "dismissed." That was never my intention! I'm glad you've found your way to the new forum, which is much better suited at organizing and properly handling users' issues.

It sounds to me like you're experiencing a rare case of an old bug floating around. Fortunately, there's a simple workaround. When you see this error, try switching your Input Method back to the stock keyboard (by long-pressing any text box and choosing "Input Method"), then back to Swype.

In addition to that - albeit annoying - workaround, we'd love your help collecting some debugging information next time you run into this problem. Check out this link (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?994-READ-ME-FIRST-HOW-TO-Get-BETA-for-Android-troubleshooting-help#LOGCAT) for information on how to submit your debugging logs. Hopefully that will help us track down the cause of your issue.

Opsman
09-01-2010, 2:48 AM
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have been using that work around method so I have still able to use Swype. It is, however, not ideal so I will give any help I can in finding a permanent solution.
Do you anticipate a full version of Swype being available on the Android Market at some time?(Obviously with this bug fixed!)

Nikkoli
09-01-2010, 5:43 AM
I'm having the same issues.

Sprint HTC EVO after HTC Froyo Update.

here is my log:
http://pastebin.com/khY3aXp9

Opsman
09-01-2010, 6:30 AM
Hi Brian,

Here is the link to my Sendlog.

http://pastebin.com/eNm1QUfe

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 9:55 AM
Nikkoli & Opsman:

It looks like both of your logs were collected without the error you're experiencing having been generated recently enough. Please make sure that you run SendLog ONLY immediately after seeing the error. We need to be able to see the error being triggered in your logs in order to determine what the problem is. Thanks!

Opsman
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Here is an new Sendlog taken as soon as I got the error sound.

http://pastebin.com/vU5TM16T

I also got an error message saying that the package I had downloaded was configured for another device and that I should contact Swype about it.

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Here is an new Sendlog taken as soon as I got the error sound.

Hmmm...it looks like you have so much stuff running on your system that the errors are getting pushed out of the log before you have a chance to launch SendLog. Please try using the FroYo task manager (accessible by going to Settings -> Applications and clicking the Running tab) to shutdown ALL non-essential apps before installing Swype. I mean EVERYTHING. If it isn't required to keep your system running, shut it down. Let me know how that works for you.

note: yes, this is a huge pain. The memory problem is something we're looking at fixing. Basically the installer needs to run as a service instead of an app to prevent it from being shut down by the memory manager

rt1027
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Having same problem as original poster. Swype works intermittently upon restart after installing 2.2. Sometimes it works fine, other times I can't "swype" the keyboard but am able to enter individual characters one at a time. Never had any problems w/ Swype when running 2.1.

Incredible ADR 6300
Verizon
FroYo 2.2
Stock ROM
Not using APPS2SD that I know of...not familiar w/ the program, don't believe I have it installed
Selecting stock keyboard input then re-selecting Swype solves the problem
Not a ROOT user

I have included 2 logs below: Log 1 is my phone when Swype is working fine, Log 2 is when Swype will not "swype" the keyboard.

http://pastebin.com/mM4N0ryH

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I have included 2 logs below: Log 1 is my phone when Swype is working fine, Log 2 is when Swype will not "swype" the keyboard.

http://pastebin.com/mM4N0ryH
Your second log doesn't appear to include any information regarding the Swype process. Your battery guage widget seems to be pushing all other info out of the logs. Please try disabling that battery widget and repeating the log collection process. Check your logs for entries in the actual message content for "com.swype.android.inputmethod" before posting to make sure we're getting the data we need.

rt1027
09-01-2010, 1:32 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply Brian.

Below is another log (2a) w/Battery Guage turned off....but I am experiencing the "swype" problem.

http://pastebin.com/crBSgMBF

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 1:35 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply Brian.

Below is another log (2a) w/Battery Guage turned off....but I am experiencing the "swype" problem.

http://pastebin.com/crBSgMBF

I'm still not getting anything valuable out of those logs. Let's try this one more time. This time, reboot your device, IMMEDIATELY try to enter some text when the system comes back up, and then launch SendLog promptly after that. For whatever reason, your Swype log entries are getting bumped very quickly out of your recent log history. Not sure why, but I'm determined to figure out what's causing your problem :)

Also, after you've sent the email with SendLog, try switching the input method from Swype back to the default keyboard, then back to Swype again. I'd like to know if that successfully reloads your registration files.

rt1027
09-01-2010, 2:45 PM
Let's try this again. Latest log is Log 2b which is at the bottom of this page.I have,again, followed your instructions to the letter. Still can't enter text using "swipe".
Using the input method restores use of Swype, as it always has.

http://pastebin.com/va6LrV8v

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 4:14 PM
Let's try this again. Latest log is Log 2b which is at the bottom of this page.I have,again, followed your instructions to the letter. Still can't enter text using "swipe".
Using the input method restores use of Swype, as it always has.

http://pastebin.com/va6LrV8v

Sadly, I'm STILL not getting anything valuable. Looks like whatever is happening is occurring too early in the boot process for SendLog to catch it. The last thing you can try, in order to provide us with useful logs, requires you to have the Android SDK installed on your PC, so that you can use the utility ADB during bootup to capture logs directly to a file at all times. If you're interested in taking that extra step, let me know by PM and I'll link you to instructions for setting up the Android SDK. Not something I recommend for the average user, so I'm not going to post that info here.

rt1027
09-01-2010, 5:19 PM
Thanks Brian. I think I'll just chill out awhile and see if others who have posted w/a similar problem are able to find resolution. I'll watch the forum for a fix

Opsman
09-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi Brian,

I have tried everything you said above and went through the process of shutting down everything that the system would allow me to force stop.

I am afraid that Swype worked the first time only. After a reboot I have the same issue.

I see your suggested solution below to rt1027 but, like him, I am not sure that is something I am able to take on. As you say, it is not something to recommend for the average user.

Sorry I seem unable to provide any useful information but it does seem like there are more people out there with the same problem so perhaps one of them will have more luck sending you some data you can use.

brian.resnik
09-02-2010, 4:07 AM
Opsman,

If you got Swype working briefly, but it doesn't work after a reboot, you can likely restore Swype functionality by switching to the stock Android keyboard and then back to Swype. Simply long-press any text entry box, select Input Method, choose Android Keyboard, type a few letters, then switch back to Swype. Hopefully that'll be usable workaround for you while we dive deeper into this issue.

skorpios1027
09-02-2010, 7:57 AM
Sadly, I'm STILL not getting anything valuable. Looks like whatever is happening is occurring too early in the boot process for SendLog to catch it. The last thing you can try, in order to provide us with useful logs, requires you to have the Android SDK installed on your PC, so that you can use the utility ADB during bootup to capture logs directly to a file at all times. If you're interested in taking that extra step, let me know by PM and I'll link you to instructions for setting up the Android SDK. Not something I recommend for the average user, so I'm not going to post that info here.

Brian,
I, like many of the HTC Incredible owners who are running Android 2.2, also have the issue of Swype not working after a reboot. PM me and I will try to send you the logs you need. I already have the SDK set up. Just let me know what you need me to do.

Opsman
09-02-2010, 9:19 AM
Thanks Brian.
I have that work around to fall back on so can continue using Swype. Hopefully skorpios1027 can supply the logs you need to solve the problem permanently. Thanks for your help.

waitreally
09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
So I was having a similar issue on my HTC Incredible. Froyo came out last night. Installed it. Swype immediately didn't swype anymore. I could tap only. I tried switching keyboard inputs, but that didn't work.

So I followed the basic troubleshooting steps, uninstall, re-download, restart, re-install. Works fine now. I'm sure this won't fix it for everyone, but I wanted to share in case it does for some.

skorpios1027
09-02-2010, 4:13 PM
Brian,
Here is the link to the logs I captured via adb: http://pastebin.com/iLwmJEVv
Once the phone booted, I opened a note and attempted to Swype - would not work. I then toggled the input method to touch and back then Swype would work. I stopped the logging after verifying Swype worked after the input change. I hope this gives you something you can work with.

brian.resnik
09-02-2010, 5:16 PM
Thanks a ton, skorpios! That log perfectly shows the load license failure during boot.
E/Swype ( 204): getLicenseDigest exception: files/license.datIt seems that for whatever reason, the Incredible (and potentially others?) isn't mounting the app-cache before trying to load Swype. Thus, when it goes looking for the license file, it can't be found. I've created an entry in our internal bug tracker and our development team will now, hopefully, be able to address this issue. Thanks so much!

alain_fyf
09-03-2010, 2:04 AM
I upgraded my magic to froyo but swype don't work

Swype

The swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality.

Please cintact Swype about this issue.

thurule
09-03-2010, 5:53 AM
Just wanted to note that my Evo has the same issue. If you're interested in determining that it's the same error as the Incredible, I could try to get a log for you as well.

thadpeters
09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I am having the same problem as reported by other on the HTC 4G with android 2.2
I can use it for awhile, but then it does not trace and beeps on completion of the word with no input.
Only clicking possible.
I have uninstalled swype and reinstalled several times. Works awhile and then craps out.
I have read the work around and will try that, better than uninstalling and redownloading and reinstalling
Love Swype, hope you can get this fixed.

brian.resnik
09-03-2010, 8:23 PM
I upgraded my magic to froyo but swype don't work

There is a known problem with our installer on Magic/Dream devices running FroYo. You'll need to uninstall Swype, enable SWAP temporarily, then reinstall. To enable SWAP you can use an application called "SWAPPER" or "SWAPPER 2" on the Android Market.

latenightrob
09-04-2010, 6:48 PM
Thanks a ton, skorpios! That log perfectly shows the load license failure during boot.
E/Swype ( 204): getLicenseDigest exception: files/license.datIt seems that for whatever reason, the Incredible (and potentially others?) isn't mounting the app-cache before trying to load Swype. Thus, when it goes looking for the license file, it can't be found. I've created an entry in our internal bug tracker and our development team will now, hopefully, be able to address this issue. Thanks so much!

I too have the exact same problem, being fixed with the input switch after boot up. I realize it may take awhile to get a fix but how will we know when there is one?
thanks and love the swype!

J-Buck
09-05-2010, 8:10 AM
I'm having the same problem also. The temporary fix is to change input then change it back like earlier stated, but I have to do that so many times a day. Droid Incredible 2.2

mcpont
09-08-2010, 1:52 PM
Add me to the list of Incredible Froyo users that has to regularly switch input methods to get Swype swyping again (as opposed to pecking). Seems to not just be after a reboot but intermittently during use throughout the day as well.

brian.resnik
09-08-2010, 5:30 PM
You'll be notified by email when there's an update available. The email will include a changelog which will list which issues have been fixed. Not sure if this bug-fix will make it into the next update or not, as this is a beta-only issue and we're very very swamped with OEM work requests (which take priority).

rob.boehm
09-08-2010, 6:02 PM
Was just chatting with Brian about this. Kinda reminds me of a common issue Locale had, and is still having somewhat today. I think it was already brought up in this thread in that if Android is running a lot apps that it will just automatically close applications it feels are less critical.

Essentially anything loaded as a widget or loaded in the status bar is of a higher priority than anything else. For practical purposes Swype doesn't fit either of these categories and as a result may be pretty low in its priority list of apps to keep active.

As Brian brought up before (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1017-Problem-with-Swype-Beta-and-Froyo-on-restart&p=5794#post5794) the memory issue is something the devs are looking at fixing in the SwypeInstaller, so we might see some of this extend to the main application as well. Makes me a little sad in side to see that this may still be an issue on some of these newer phones, but it may be worth it to uninstall a few un-needed apps and see if Swype unloads a little less frequently.

scubed33
09-09-2010, 5:02 PM
Please do include me in the email blast that a fix has been pushed out.
The workard doesn't work for me. Have to uninstall and reinstall after power up to get
Swype (excellent tool btw) to work again.
Using HTC Incredible Verizon.
Like other users, swype stops working after power down and after recent 2.2. push from Verizon.

wisswee
09-09-2010, 7:36 PM
Hi all,

I am having the same issue. Should I send a log too?

chocmnk4
09-10-2010, 10:08 AM
I am a HTC Incredible User running Froyo with the same issue.

planetjeffy
09-10-2010, 1:02 PM
Same problem on my DI
Swype is awesome. Touchscreen phones are unusable without it.

moptart
09-10-2010, 5:22 PM
The "work around" only works intermittently. I love swype, so if you get a fix please alert me and everyone else!

Many thanks for your hard work and innovation, swype is truly amazing!

alecks2217
09-10-2010, 9:50 PM
I have the same issue as everyone else on the Droid Incredible. I can use the input method workaround for now. Maybe someone should add this to the Known Issues list, I see a lot of threads about it. Glad to know a fix will come eventually.

Morgan McCann
09-11-2010, 7:27 PM
So I was having a similar issue on my HTC Incredible. Froyo came out last night. Installed it. Swype immediately didn't swype anymore. I could tap only. I tried switching keyboard inputs, but that didn't work.

So I followed the basic troubleshooting steps, uninstall, re-download, restart, re-install. Works fine now. I'm sure this won't fix it for everyone, but I wanted to share in case it does for some.

I've got the same issue, And I tried it with the newest update.

rastro9
09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I own an HTC EVO and am having the same issue, Swype does not work after a restart since installing the FROYO update in July. I have been using the workaround previously mentioned by Brian of changing the input method to "touch input" back to Swype. The latest beta release did not solve the problem so it is definitely an issue which needs to be addressed in a future release.

modigliani
09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
My problem is pretty much the same for me on the EVO with the newest update that came out last night. Switching the input doesnt work for me, the only work around I have found is to do a force stop & restart and then it will work. Until I turn off my phone, then its pretty much the same again and I have to do it all over again. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall version 1.56 from the previous beta release. Thank god I still have a copy of it. It would also be nice if the new update would support the move to SD card of Android 2.2 considering that is such a huge file, this new beta is such a HUGE let down.

JMKosmo
09-12-2010, 3:16 PM
I also have this problem with my HTC Incredible on 2.2 and the September release of Swype!

007jerroed700
09-12-2010, 9:12 PM
I think I have a solution, as this affected me with other applications:

I bet everyone who is having trouble if they look where the file is installed it will say installed on sd card.

Now it may just be me, but apps that are on the sd card on my D1 will force close after not being used for a long while or not start when the phone starts.

I noticed that like all of you on restart swype was gone only to be replaced by the stock android keyboard.

So i checked where it was installed, cleared the cache and uninstalled both installer and swype, re downloaded the installer, moved it to the phone, redownloaded the actual file, moved it to the phone and bam! problem resolved.

Hope this helps others

volcane
09-13-2010, 5:59 AM
running Desire with Froyo having the same issue since last release. Resolve by changing the Input Method to defaulf and back to Swype to workaround. Same issue persist in the Sept Build.

moptart
09-14-2010, 6:49 AM
I think I have a solution, as this affected me with other applications:

I bet everyone who is having trouble if they look where the file is installed it will say installed on sd card.

Now it may just be me, but apps that are on the sd card on my D1 will force close after not being used for a long while or not start when the phone starts.

I noticed that like all of you on restart swype was gone only to be replaced by the stock android keyboard.

So i checked where it was installed, cleared the cache and uninstalled both installer and swype, re downloaded the installer, moved it to the phone, redownloaded the actual file, moved it to the phone and bam! problem resolved.

Hope this helps others

Question: After re downloading the installer, what are the steps required to move the installer to the phone?? Has anyone else had success with this.

Actually, the September beta release has been better that the June release after the 2.2 update. At least now, I can use the workaround of a "force close" after reboot, and swipe resumes working normally vs. intermittently.

I am so grateful to have it.

rt1027
09-14-2010, 6:58 AM
I like the new beta but I continue to have to use the input method to use Swype on my Dinc most of the time after reboot. The input method has fortunately been working consistently for me and although it's a bit of an annoyance, I do have to remember that this is beta software and it will be fixed in due time. Great product.

007jerroed700
09-14-2010, 4:09 PM
i guess moving it to the phone depends on your software, but what i did was:

options
applications
manage applications
then all, find the installer/swype and press it, then i have the options to force stop uninstall clear data or move to (phone/sd card depending on where it is)

after i rebooted swype wasnt even a choice after a long press in a text field. it was still there under options however.

and rt1027, check and see if its on the phone or sd card. I dont know for sure, since nobody else has posted but it worked for me

rt1027
09-22-2010, 4:37 AM
Any word on when this problem is going to be resolved?

AgiLiT
02-13-2011, 7:06 AM
So: Was this ever resolved? I just got the Beta invite for my new EVO Shift and am having the same problem. Swype Beta installer shows 1.1.17861 (11.4) on screen, but shows version 1.3 in 'manage applications'. Swype is showing v. 2.17.59.15552 in manage applications.

Is there a way to get back to previous versions? Never had a problem before.

rob.boehm
02-13-2011, 7:12 PM
This thread is quite old. The original post is an issue that is explained in the following Known Error thread: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2279-Swype-is-Configured-for-Another-Device-Flashing-Blue-Box