PDA

View Full Version : Preinstalled Swype or Swype Beta Won't Pop Up At all

gadgetmom88
10-26-2012, 8:04 AM
I just updated to the most recent version of the beta, and now the keyboard won't pop up at all when Swype is enabled. Other keyboards are working fine. I select Swype, touch a text entry field, and it just sits, eventually the app I'm in will crash - Plume, GoSMS, Email... doesn't seem to matter. It crashes the app and never brings up the keyboard. Please help me. I'm reduced to tapping out words on a keyboard. It's INHUMANE!!!

Jacob.W
10-26-2012, 8:19 AM
hi gadgetmom88,

That sounds terrible! What version of the beta does it say you have? Check in Swype Settings > Preferences > Scroll all the way down to the bottom.

It would also be helpful to have a bit more information, what is your:

• Device Make/Model
• Wireless Carrier
• Android Version
• ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?)
• Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no")

Let's get to the bottom of this! Thanks!

gadgetmom88
10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm running a stock Verizon Galaxy S3. Swype version is 1.3.1.9410. Android version is 4.04. Thanks for your help!!

Lord Zog
10-28-2012, 1:44 PM
Created an account just to reply to this forum thread.. I am getting this also.. If I reboot my phone, it won't come back unless it crashes my messages app and my launcher.. Then, it says "english" on the screen and works.. Only started with 1.3.. Worked fine before this..

CM10 self compiled Unofficial 10/28 - tested on Official Samsung 4.0.4 also to check if CM10 was the issue... It wasn't.
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (S2 LTE)
JB 4.1.2
Rooted..

Golfman560
10-28-2012, 1:44 PM
I've been having the same issue. Swype is taking forever to load. If I let the app sit the keyboard eventually pops up but my phone hangs entirely in that time. Has only been happening since the update sometime last week (There were two of them, both hang).

Samsung Galaxy S3
Verizon
JB 4.1.2
CM10 latest nightly (10/28) also occurred on the 10/18 nightly, I updated to see if it was the cause but it still occurs
Definitely a root user

Sea Shadow
10-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I registered just to reply to this as well:

I have been having the same issue, and when it does finally work I can only go for a short period of time before the keyboard locks up and I have to reboot my phone. Swype was working great up until the 2 most recent updates last week. So at least you have a relatively narrow window to look at for code changes. Best of luck isolating the problem.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (i515)
Verizon Wireless
Jellybean (4.1.1)
Stock ROM

nedmartin
10-29-2012, 3:52 PM
Have you tried disabling as many of the Swype Connect features as you can? Backup & Sync, the options to send Swype useful info about how you use it, etc.?

Juskapu
10-30-2012, 6:15 AM
Since the last update, the swype keyboard disappeared as soon as it's selected. I tried to change all the options especially in Swype connect, i reboot several time since then but it's still not working :(.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Provider "Free" (France)
Jelly Bean 4.1.2
Stock ROM
Not root

Regular Swype is working though (but I miss the beta version !!)

mountainbikermark
10-30-2012, 6:53 AM
HTC Rezound
Verizon
Stock
No root
Swype 1.3.1.94...
Phone freezes. Battery pull only solution.
Worked fine with prior version

kujo31
10-31-2012, 2:02 PM
I downloaded the new version of swype today and it only force closes. I'm using the stock trace on my phone until you guys can get this app right. Past 2 updates have been garbage. For the record , there is no report button when it closes so I can't even sendthe data. The keyboard will not load at all and causes my phone to freeze. HTC rezound.

JAR1299
10-31-2012, 2:12 PM
Mine does the same thing but only after a restart. Once the keyboard eventually opens the first time it will be fine untill I do a restart.....then will act up again. I noticed when it does act up and not open it will show the keyboard notification in the notification bar but the keyboard just won't show up. If I pull down on notification bar and select the stock keyboard it will show up..then I have to go through that again and select the Swpye keyboad....sometimes it'll show up right away and at other times I have to close the txt message and reopen it for the Swype keyboard to finally open. I am running the latest Swype update on a stock HTC Rezound running Android 4.0.3

glamar
10-31-2012, 2:52 PM
Yes, please fix this or roll back the version that's available. It is 100% unusable now.

And I'm using a stock S3 in Canada. I had no issues until very recently.
---------------------------------
Edit:
Ok, it seems fixed now. These are the steps I went through to fix it. It could be that all aren't necessary, but it's working for now so that's enough for me. First, I uninstalled Swype. Then I uninstalled the Installer. Then I went to Applications manager > Touchwiz and I selected Clear Data. Then I rebooted. Then I reinstalled Swype. And now it works again.

To be clear, the clear data in Touchwiz is annoying because it totally clears your desktop on your phone. All your apps will still be there, but you'll have to arrange it all again. I don't know that this is necessary, but I figured I'd say how I got it to work.

amcas522
11-02-2012, 6:34 AM
I downloaded the new version of swype today and it only force closes. I'm using the stock trace on my phone until you guys can get this app right. Past 2 updates have been garbage. For the record , there is no report button when it closes so I can't even sendthe data. The keyboard will not load at all and causes my phone to freeze. HTC rezound.

I'm having the same problem. I have to reboot my phone multiple times during the day. I thought there was a problem with an update to another app, but it's happening in all apps now. The keyboard never even loads and then I get a "(insert app name here) is not responding" error message. I've got to agree that the last two updates have been lousy.

amcas522
11-02-2012, 7:21 AM
I just updated to the most recent version of the beta, and now the keyboard won't pop up at all when Swype is enabled. Other keyboards are working fine. I select Swype, touch a text entry field, and it just sits, eventually the app I'm in will crash - Plume, GoSMS, Email... doesn't seem to matter. It crashes the app and never brings up the keyboard. Please help me. I'm reduced to tapping out words on a keyboard. It's INHUMANE!!!

I'm having the same problem and as of today even the reboot isn't working.

motorola razr
verizon
android 4.0.4
stock ROM
not a root user
swype 1.3.1.9274

Thank you.

crimsona
11-02-2012, 4:37 PM
Disable backup and sync to reduce lockups.

mountainbikermark
11-02-2012, 5:51 PM

So far that has done the trick on my non rooted Rezound with ICS. Before trying this fix that you suggested Swype turned my phone into a fancy brick until battery pull every time I tried to use it.
It's under Swype settings, Swype connect, uncheck backup and sync. If it's gray you have to register, put in the verification code sent to your email, then uncheck . I didn't have to reboot or anything after uncheck for it to go from useless to sweetness again.
It still sucks in Chrome and Opera Mobile but so does every other keyboard on my phone
Thank you again for the suggestion

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

leemurr
11-03-2012, 7:47 AM
I'm having the same problem. When the updated swype keyboard is active, the phone freezes until i remove the battery.

PS, registering for this account was a painful pecking process without being able to use swype!
It made me miss swype even more!

Galaxy s3
Verizon
Android version 4.0.4
Stock rom
Swype 1.3.1.9410

sidjess
11-03-2012, 8:15 AM
Same problem with latest install. Doesn't show up, only default keyboard. Actually work on my wife's phone. She has a Motorola droid running 2.2 stock.

• Droid Incredible 2
• Verizon
• Android Version: 2.3.4
• ROM Version (Stock)
• Are you a ROOT user? No

jclyles
11-04-2012, 5:11 PM
Same here, Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.1.1, latest version of Swype. Worked until I installed Roku app, Roku app typing did not work, so I deactivated Swype and it worked. Have not been able to reactivate Swype. Did reload Swype which came in as Beta 1.3 and it worked until I uninstalled the old installation. Have done a full no battery reboot which did not help. Sure looking forward to getting it working again. Used FlexT9 previously.

landho
11-04-2012, 5:49 PM
EDIT: I disabled "Backup & Sync" per the previous poster's suggestion, and this seems to have solved the issue.

I have the same issue and am very unhappy. I have been using Swype for more than two years, but the latest update on Beta (1) causes my phone to periodically freeze and then reboot of its own accord and (2) will not load as an input client when I am trying to do such mundane tasks as send a text message or respond to someone on Google Talk. This is an infuriating issue. I have switched to Swiftkey 3 in the meanwhile.

I am on a Galaxy Nexus. I am on Android 4.1.1. I have Swype Beta installer version 2.0(01234.0123). I am using Swype Beta version 1.3.1 (maybe 1.3; the download screen said the former but on installation it said the former).

Swype was the best thing that happened to me re my smartphone usage, and I thought that the Beta version fixed a lot of problems that were present on the previous version. Please contact me to let me know when something will be done.

galarue
11-06-2012, 9:48 AM
Kind of upset here myself... I was trying to use my old keyboard on my phone and just couldn't with your site, so I had to get to a computer. Since the 1.3 update, it had been working off and on and as of yesterday it simply will not appear now even with a reboot. This seriously needs to be taken care of I'm kind of thinking of just switching to touchpal if this doesn't get fixed soon, and considering it looks like it has been known about for a while now...

LG Marquee - LG-LG855
Boost Mobile
2.3.4 GB
Custom rom, built from stock
Yes, rooted...

Jacob.W
11-06-2012, 1:37 PM
Hi all,

We’re still looking at this issue to determine what is causing the problems you all are experiencing. We haven’t been able to reproduce this on the Galaxy Nexus (4.1.2) or GS3 (4.0.4) so far. In the meantime, here are some other basic troubleshooting steps to try.

WARNING: clearing data/uninstalling will cause you to lose your dictionary! Be forewarned!

Go to Settings -> Language & Keyboard and UNCHECK Swype Beta.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Swype Beta Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Swype Installer Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Reboot your device.
Install the update latest version of Swype.

If you do try these steps, please report back and explain whether or not this helped you.

Thanks all!

Juskapu
11-09-2012, 4:13 AM
It worked for me !! :) (for now !)
Thanks for the support. I keep you posted in case of any new trouble.

Benoît

mountainbikermark
11-09-2012, 4:27 AM
Trying to quote above by Jacob. Tapatalk isn't cooperating.
Jacobs method did not work for me but uncheck backup and sync did

thatguy
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Hello, I have the Swype Beta on my Galaxy S III and after the latest version it wont pop up, or if it does it types a few words freezes and crashes.

moore.bryan@gmail.co
11-11-2012, 4:27 AM
Go to Settings -> Language & Keyboard and UNCHECK Swype Beta.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Swype Beta Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Swype Installer Press CLEAR DATA. Then press UNINSTALL.
Reboot your device.
Install the update latest version of Swype.

If you do try these steps, please report back and explain whether or not this helped you.

Thanks all!

These were the exact steps I took before coming into the forum and can report on a rooted Kindle Fire (running Project JandyCane, which is equivalent to Android 4.1.2, and Kernel 3.0.31) that had the previous Swype Beta running perfectly everything is still broke. Swype Beta won't even open and crashes when trying to change any settings. From reading through the previous posts, this seems to be a major issue with a number of people.

Now, before anyone blames the KF or the fact it's rooted, the latest Swype Beta works just fine on my rooted LG Optimus V phone--and always has--running the MiRaGe ROM (equivalent to Android 2.3.7 with Kernel 2.6.32.9).

kyleresq
11-11-2012, 6:29 AM
just wanted to weigh in that this just started happening to me this morning as well. I am also using the Galaxy Nexus. I will try to work around, but I obviously a fix needs to be pushed.

catdecorator
11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm having same trouble,i am using it on galaxy S2. it keeps crashing my phone...

adg2008
11-12-2012, 9:24 AM
I have a HTC incredible 2
Verizon
Android 2.3.4
Not rooted

I am having the same issue with the swype keyboard. Anytime I go to use it the keyboard will not pop up and it causes my phone to freeze and force close the application. The regular keyboard on my phone works five so I know it is an issue with swype

Jacob.W
11-12-2012, 3:38 PM
Hey all,

We're still looking into this.

For those of you who are experiencing these crashes, if it is possible, please provide us with a logcat. You can find details on how to do that here (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?995-READ-ME-FIRST-What-exactly-is-a-quot-bug-quot-and-how-do-you-report-one).

Thanks!

JoachimMG
11-12-2012, 5:16 PM
Got this issue as well; on both my ROOTed SGS3 (latest Milestone AOKP ROM) and my GNex (same ROM). Clearing data+uninstalling is working fine, for about a week, but after that with instant texting, it all starts. First noticed when switching between languages, which I do very often, is very slow. Sometimes up to 10 minutes, or even more.... It wont even react, and it freezes opened on my screen. If I click the home button, i.e when I'm in the SMS app, Swype stays on screen even when I'm back in the home launcher. After a while I get an error, that the SMS app crashed, and after a few seconds after removing that notice, my home launcher also crashes. It's not just when I'm in the SMS app this happens; any app where I can write text, and that's almost all of them; Chrome, GTalk, GO SMS Pro, Facebook Messenger and so on. Even games...

I thought this happened because of a ****ty update from Samsung, since my SGS3 worked just fine with 4.0.4. So I rooted my phone and flashed AOKP and hoped for some magic to happen. But after a while this happened using AOKP as well. Then i realized that i updated Swype the same day that I got the update from Samsung, because of a factory reset, and when I saw this threat I understood that Swype was the problem, and not the «Samsung update».

Anyway; I love AOKP, so thank you Swype team for forcing me to ROOT and Flash my phone. It was just lazyness that got me waiting ;) Now I'm just waiting for you to do the trick and give me a flawless experience, since I love Swype too. ;)

Edit: Think I should add that when this freezing starts, the keyboard starts hanging. When clicking a text-field it wont pop up, or at least I need to wait for a long time. But I have figured out; if nothing have happened in about 5 minutes, a reboot is the only solution. Then, after a reboot and clicking a text field, the keyboard - almost pops up (white clear area) - and stays like this until the keyboard suddently shows, which take approx 3-5 minutes. Don't know for sure... It's very unreliable, and often slow to initialize and ready to use after rebooting, and especially after switching between languages a few times. Then it stays slow all the time...

JAR1299
11-13-2012, 6:45 AM
Could not verify issue......go figure....LOL.

crimsona
11-13-2012, 9:45 AM
Disable backup and sync, it should help

mnb022
11-14-2012, 8:29 AM
I'm having the same issue with my T-Mobile galaxy s3. Sometimes a reboot or battery pull works but not very often. What is going on? My swype keyboard won't some up at all anymore! Help! I hate T9 trace

sonar1
11-14-2012, 2:33 PM
Again, same problem here... have had to disable it in the mean time as basically renders the phone useless on its first attempt to show the Swype keyboard.

• Device Make/Model
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
• Wireless Carrier
Vodafone Australia
• Android Version
Stock
• Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no")
No

hi gadgetmom88,

That sounds terrible! What version of the beta does it say you have? Check in Swype Settings > Preferences > Scroll all the way down to the bottom.

It would also be helpful to have a bit more information, what is your:

• Device Make/Model
• Wireless Carrier
• Android Version

Let's get to the bottom of this! Thanks!

Skanky
11-16-2012, 4:24 AM
Also chiming in here with the same issue. I just wait until the SB keyboard loads (takes about 1 minute), then all seems fine until I restart again.

• Device Make/Model
Samsung Galaxy Note l717
• Wireless Carrier
AT&T
• Android Version
Stock
Yes

crimsona
11-16-2012, 7:46 AM
Have any of you actually tried disabling backup and sync yet?

TeeRee
11-16-2012, 9:31 AM
I've just started having this trouble as well the last couple days.

• Device Make/Model
Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-I9100
• Wireless Carrier
T-Mobile
• Android Version
Stock
no

I'm running version 1.3.1.9410 and have been on this for a while. I'm not sure what caused the sudden issues. Through a combination of disabling Swype Beta as an input option and using something else, then trying to switch back after a while, it seems to randomly work again. I don't get consistent results though. I rebooted my phone last time and it started working again, but that didn't work this time. One time I disabled it as an input option, used something else, then switched back and it worked, but that doesn't always work.

The problem I had with trying to do this was that when it wasn't popping up, I couldn't find a way to get into the Preferences menu to change this setting. I've done this now to see how things go from here. Is there a way I can get to the Preferences menu when it's otherwise not working?

kwithnail
11-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I had exactly this error,
spec: swype beta 9410
HTC one x
android 4.0.4

I was pretty annoyed - last swype update deleted my user dictionary, this one locked my whole phone. more like Alpha than Beta!

however, the tip of disabling swype connect worked and I'm now typing this with a fast and working swype.

while I'm here, I'll mention that the new 9274 and 9410 seem to be less accurate at words. Can't we have our speed/accuracy slider back?
thanks,
K.

Board_Shorts
11-16-2012, 1:24 PM
I've been a very happy user of swype in its various versions on different phones for 2 years without any problems, until a month ago. I recieved 2 updates within a few days of each other and now swype has become almost unusable on my S3, about 50% of the time the keyboard either doesn't appear, flashes up for a moment and then disappears, or takes a very long time to appear.

Is there any way to roll back to a previous version of swype which worked perfectly, or am I stuck with this?

I can't help noticing that there are a lot of other users with similar problems with swype on the S3, I'm hoping there's an update to fix this soon!

crimsona
11-17-2012, 6:31 AM
The problem I had with trying to do this was that when it wasn't popping up, I couldn't find a way to get into the Preferences menu to change this setting. I've done this now to see how things go from here. Is there a way I can get to the Preferences menu when it's otherwise not working?

To fix the lag, you can disable backup and sync by going menu --> settings --> language and keyboard --> swype beta preferences.

You can be using any keyboard to get to that menu

JoachimMG
11-17-2012, 6:46 AM

Why should we, when that's some of it features? Actually the best, besides swyping ;) I think there's about time that the Swype Team figures out the problem, and releases an update soon.

Protonus
11-17-2012, 7:40 AM
The problem seems like the Swype process is being removed from memory... it usually only happens when I haven't used my phone or tablet in a while. Takes at least 5 to 10 seconds for the keyboard to appear, after that it's fine again for a while.

This happens on my Galaxy Nexus, and my Nexus 7. My roommate has the same two devices, and it happens in his too. It happens LESS on the tablets then the phones, which have less available memory and more processes running, which makes me think it's a memory issue.

Never had this issue prior to the current build, been running Swype for 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bberryhill0
11-17-2012, 9:24 AM
I just rebooted and Swype took a while to open the first few times. Now it's back to normal, opening quickly.

faji_tama
11-18-2012, 1:34 PM
After the most recent update, I've been having issues with the Swype keyboard freezing, or not appearing at all. I've encountered the known bug where I'm unable to input anything for about a minute after switching languages, but I've also experienced a problem when switching between the default Android keyboard and Swype where the Swype keyboard won't appear at all, and/or will temporarily freeze whatever app I'm using. It'll clear itself up after several minutes, or if I restart my phone.

Running latest Swype on a Nexus S with Android 4.2

janroblesberger
11-19-2012, 3:53 AM
I can confirm this problem on my Samsung Galaxy S3 running the newest DBT Firmware and the newest Swype Beta Update 1.3
With no changes known to the software, some days ago it started by Swype not even appearing when needed and sometimes when it managed to appear, it just froze in the middle of a word. Tried restarting the phone, resetting Samsung keyboard then switching back to Swype, resetting RAM, tried some things in de Task Manager, but nothing worked.

Now uninstalled everything and reinstalled the Installer and Swype Beta, seems to work again (30min test so far), but my personal words are gone even though I made a backup through Swype Connect (this is another issue: what's the sense in Swype connect if you cannot Sync your words again on your new installation????).

Hope someone can help with this Sync, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

david1212@gmail.com
11-19-2012, 6:34 AM
I have Telus Samsung Galaxy s3 S III, Updated over the air OTA, stock, unrooted, latest swype beta v1.3.1.9410.

It sometimes takes a very long time to get the keyboard up so you can type. Seems like more than a minute to get the keyboard.

Is it since Dragon Go installed? I can't say when it started, maybe a few days ago. I haven't changed much on the phone in the last week.

Very annoying.

I think the key question is: What change created this condition?

Any suggestions?

SwiperHTC
11-19-2012, 7:01 AM
The latest Swype beta 1.3.1 was a mess on my slow HTC Wildfire, until I followed advice in other threads about enabling Connect, then disabling it all completely. It made a great difference. Seems to me that the freezes are due to Connect trying to sync, or locking up because it can't connect and sync, etc.

Kerry White
11-19-2012, 1:44 PM

Yeah, that seemed to help.

cdzo72
11-20-2012, 4:05 AM
I can attest to ALL the headaches no matter what options I choose in Swype, to sync or not to sync or no matter what, it crashes my phone. Samsung Galaxy S2 running UHLPY firmware and rooted. No matter what kernel or what setting for performance, SWYPE WILL CRASH my phone

faji_tama
11-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Just to chime in, I'm facing these issues and I don't even have the backup/sync options selected

MelGalaxy
11-21-2012, 4:09 AM
Me too, and it locks my entire phone up until a battery pull is done. I ended up having to quickly uninstall and reinstall swype before I was able to use the phone again for any text input. As soon as I input on ANY keyboard it bricked. Restarts didn't fix it. Working fine now and I've turned backup/sync off, so hopefully that will keep it running smoothly now.
• Device Make/Model
Samsung Galaxy s3
• Wireless Carrier
Verizon
• Android Version
Stock
No

murchz
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
As title of topic says, since the last update of swype beta (before everything was running almost flawlessly) to Swype BETA 1.3.1.9410 version, the keyboard is VERY OFTEN unresponsive, it crash and keyboard layout takes forever to load/show up and sometimes it doesn't even get the input (no matter which app i'm using...from web browser, to stock sms app..)
Also, there's the double entry problem, especially when you're using a website like expedia or whatever when you start typing, for instance, the name of a location-airport, which automatically shows up as soon as you start typing the right letters, and you select the correct name from the list (even though you haven't finished typing the full name, yet...but that's the whole point of having such scripts) for example you were typing(swyping) minnes and shows up automatically from the website module list Minnesota, as soon as you select it, the result you have in the fill in module is: minnesMinnesota (minnes resulting from the partial swyping).
The problems are all only Swype keyboard related as I tried both on official and custom rom and I'm not the only user experiencing it.
Hope you guys will fix it soon, 'cuz jellybean 4.2 is out and has native swype keyboard and many will switch if nothing changes.

I'm on HTC Sensation XE

rocinante
11-22-2012, 10:35 AM
I've had this problem too, on a Samsung SGIII. I'm not sure if this has been said before, but it seems that the lockup happens (or is more prone to happening) when I'm using the phone's wi-fi rather than cellular data. I've tried turning the updating off, but to no avail...

Mareesea
11-23-2012, 9:33 AM
I'm so glad I finally found this thread. I'd been googling and googling "swype crashes when connected to wifi," but was finding nothing. So then I just opened every thread on the bug page of this forum. I was having the exact same problem with swype but ONLY if I connected to wifi. It was a recent development, since the update, and was a pain in the butt. If I stayed off wifi, my swype worked fine. This morning I tried playing around with settings and discovered that if I enabled cellular data, my swype froze and crashed my phone too. I've had to reboot my phone every single time it happened.

After reading this thread, and seeing what worked for others, I switched my keyboard back to the samsung default, went into swype connect, and registered my device so I could uncheck the greyed out backup & sync. The contribute usage data and enable cellular data were already unchecked so it was the Backup & Sync giving me problems. And now it's fixed!!! Thank you!!!!

• Device Make/Model
Samsung Galaxy s3
•Wireless Carrier
AT&T
•Android Version
•ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?)
Stock
•Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no")
No

PS. Not sure if this is a related problem, but I've also noticed that my data usage has significantly spiked in the same span of time that my swype has been buggy. I'm hoping disconnecting the backup & sync solves both issues!

SebaKL
11-24-2012, 7:53 AM
I have same problem like the rest.

Running the latest beta 1.3
Often when you select an input field, the keyboard will not come out. Sometimes it takes about 2 minutes for it to appear. Super frustrating when I try to reply someone, or surf web. End up looking at the phone like hypnotized, because while the keyboard is not out, the phone become unresponsive, so I can't even change to Samsung's keyboard if i wanted to.

Using Galaxy S3 with Jelly Bean.

cheers

muucow
11-24-2012, 2:58 PM
Same issue.
After re-installing it doesn't freeze the whole phone anymore but still lags/keyboard does not appear from time to time.

• Device Make/Model
HTC Sensation
•Wireless Carrier
Vodafone NZ
•Android Version
•ROM Version (Stock? Custom ROM?)
Custom rom - ARHD 6.8
•Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no")
Yes

lebbo44
11-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Having used Swype Beta for some weeks with no problems on my Galaxy S3, I am now having major problems
using it. It started a few days ago, whenever i try to open the keyboard to write a message (for example in
Whatsapp), it either takes forever for the keyboard to open or I have to completely
close the app or even restart the phone. In the past couple of days it has only gotten worse. Its like when I try
and open it, it lags for a very long time....so that if I leave it open (without switching to the Samsung keyboard), and then I come back to it after a long time, it is then open and working fine. And it's not just with Whatsapp,
but also with SMS text messaging and others.

I am quite sure it's the Swype app that's causing this lag because when I switch to the Samsung keyboard,
it opens instantly and works fine. I updated the phone to the latest Android over 2 weeks ago, so I don't think it's from the updated version because I'm assuming the problem would have shown up immediately. Also, I deleted the cache and that made no difference. Any suggestions please? It is very frustrating and I am left with no option but to delete the app, which I do not want to do-
the Samsung swype keyboard is horrible to use.

Finalreminder
11-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Same issue on the Galaxy SII pal.
It's definitely Swype causing the issue.

ecksdee
11-25-2012, 3:36 PM
I get the same issue. Using 1.3.1.9410. Didn't happen on the earlier versions. The only thing that seemed to resolve the issue was uninstalling Swype and reinstalling it. Turning on/off the phone or removing battery only solved it roughly half the time. It's happening again though after 2 days of reinstalling.

Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999V on WIND
Android 4.0.4

primetech
11-25-2012, 5:17 PM
Delete all your app data, that should solve the problem, at least until you start using it properly again. (Just kidding, that's no real fix at all.) :(

Is this problem immediate or subtle, and is it described by your needing to update to the inferior 1.x series of keyboard?

lebbo44
11-26-2012, 3:00 AM
Well it seems that once it does finally open, the Swype keyboard works fine. In Whatsapp I tried to open it last night, and as usual it did not open. So I switched to the Samsung keyboard. Some minutes later, I tried to switch back to the Swype keyboard and it seemed to be opening slightly- the keyboard appeared but I could not type or use it at all. So again I switched back to Samsung keyboard. Then after an hour or so I tried again, and this time it was working fine. And since then (quite some hours now), it has been working with no problems. So it seems it is only when an app tries to initially open it that the problem occurs. Are you guys having the same problem? Would someone from the company please suggest a solution to this issue?

eyecorporations
11-26-2012, 3:53 AM
I'm having the same issue...Swype is completely unusable for me right now.

http://i.imgur.com/eK4Bcl.png

hkbugger
11-26-2012, 7:56 AM
Same issue here on S3 lte device, somedays it works fine somedays it just lags and lags and doesnt open in whatsapp , sms, anywhere.

frustrating thing is swype doesnt seem to revert back , answer of fix any issues, they take forever in this fast paced world its really surprising and shocking..

several issues are there in this beta, the old swype surprising worked perfect without any hanging, and having my contacts from phone auto added. :mad:

lebbo44
11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Well just downloaded a new update!!!! Let's see if that fixes it!

JAR1299
11-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Well just downloaded a new update!!!! Let's see if that fixes it!

Didn't fix it for me.....what a joke!!!!

bberryhill0
11-26-2012, 8:37 PM
The update will only download over WiFi?!?

lebbo44
11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
It seems that the update fixed the problem for my phone. I have restarted the phone twice and used the Swype keyboard all day today with no issues. The only issue I have remaining is one, where when typing in some apps as well as in the google or url address search area, the swyped words are all joined with no spaces in between the words. This was an issue before the update as well, so it has not yet been fixed. Anyone else have this problem? Its not with all writing apps, only some. The words are all joined together with no spacing.

Taegost
11-28-2012, 5:18 AM
I'm having the exact same issue... I also thought it was a faulty firmware update, but once I started having the problems with the Swype keyboard on reboot, I couldn't quite figure it out.
I just now was able to get into the preferences to disable Backup & Sync (Can't get in to prefs when the keyboard is acting up) and I'll have to play with it some to figure out if that fixed the issue or not.

Carrier: Verizon
Phone: Galaxy S3
Android: 4.0.4
Rooted: Yes (Stock)

I'll work on getting LogCats after work.

David Johnstone
11-28-2012, 8:45 AM

crimsona,

Are you able to expand on this a bit? Are you seeing a correlation here? We've tested with and without Backup & Sync, and are not seeing a difference in this use case. If you are seeing a difference, will you please provide some background for us and include your device specs, Swype Beta version, etc?

Thank you!

annebrodie
11-28-2012, 9:02 AM
I have the same problem with the keyboard not coming up as well. It usually happens after a reboot.
When it occurs, I can't access the settings for Swype either, and my phone is unstable.
Disabling the Swype Beta keyboard resolved my stability issues... But I hate other keyboards!

I have the same problem as the above (Galaxy S3). After I reboot the phone, no keyboard appears when I enter a text field even though I have Swype set as my default keyboard. The only thing that solves it, eventually, is to revert to stock Samsung keyboard for a while and keep checking back - eventually I can switch to Swype.

Also agreed about hating other keyboards!!

lebbo44
11-29-2012, 3:13 AM
I have the same problem as the above (Galaxy S3). After I reboot the phone, no keyboard appears when I enter a text field even though I have Swype set as my default keyboard. The only thing that solves it, eventually, is to revert to stock Samsung keyboard for a while and keep checking back - eventually I can switch to Swype.

Also agreed about hating other keyboards!!

Did you update Swype? An update came out 2 days ago- it fixed this problem for my S3 phone.

SonicAndy
12-01-2012, 9:52 AM
Did you update Swype? An update came out 2 days ago- it fixed this problem for my S3 phone.

I've been having the same problem, with an HTC Rezound running stock android 4.0.3. I've been using Swype on various phones for the last 2+ years, and recently have been experiencing the lockup issue. None of the proposed work arounds were successful.

However, I just downloaded the update (wifi required, and I had to manually seek the update, as the notification never came through) and so far, the problem has not reoccurred. I'll be sure to update with any new information. Thanks, everyone, for the ideas and help. :D

codo27
12-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Same
• Samsung GS3 i747
• Bell
• Stock

Uninstalled and started fresh, same thing. Update soon please!

Empty J
12-14-2012, 7:56 AM
registered to report the same problem.

Swype 1.3.5.10176
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 running stock Ice Cream Sandwich

Checking for updates in Swype shows me that I'm running the most recent version.

kyleresq
12-17-2012, 7:12 PM
Happening to me also. I didn't notice it until I got the 4.2 update. I am using the galaxy nexus, unrooted.

wkavan02
01-05-2013, 3:23 PM
Stock Verizon SGS3 with Jelly Bean and latest version of Swype, but same issue occurs, ONLY while using wifi connection. Same thing happens with SwiftKey Flow beta over wifi, but not with stock Samsung keyboard. Sounds like a Samsung issue, not a Swype issue.

FrogFan
01-05-2013, 3:35 PM
I just registered to reply to this thread. I've had the same problem intermittently for several weeks. I'm running Swype Beta 1.3.1.9274. Here are other details:

Carrier: Sprint
Phone: HTC EVO 4G
Android: 2.3.5
Rooted: No

I registered with Swype to allow disabling backup and sync. When I did this and hit the back button, the application hung. I was given the option to force close and did. Then I went back into Swype settings and verified that backup and sync were disabled. They were. This time when I backed out, the application didn't hang. I then went to Handcent, which I use for texting, and the keyboard loaded normally.

When I've had this problem in the past, it seemed to go away after awhile and work well for a long time. Today, it started misbehaving again and wouldn't stop, so I eventually found this thread.

I wonder, given what I've experienced, if there is a problem "in the cloud" somewhere, perhaps with Swype's server when Sywpe tries to backup or sync my data?

For now, backup and sync are disabled and Swype is working fine. I wonder if I'm giving anything useful up by disabling backup and sync.

Ed

kevmoore821
01-23-2013, 5:54 PM
I'm using the stock Swype version on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and the keyboard won't pop up at all. In my notification bar, it shows the keyboard or input option, but no keyboard appears. This has been happening for about a week. I absolutely hate the other stock options so I really need this problem resolved ASAP. I'm currently using version 1.3.3.9.783 for Swype and Version 4.1.1 for Android software. Please Please Pleaseeeeeeeeeee help me out here. :(

aravind.nv
01-24-2013, 1:23 PM
Swype takes forever to load in any app - keyboard doesn't show up.
Switching to any other keyboard (samsung's inbuilt one) allows them to work but swype still does not.
Restarting phone does not resolve issue.
Happens on Wifi or 4g

Samsung Galaxy s3 model no SCH-I535
Verizon
Android version 4.1.1
Stock ROM
not a ROOT user
swype version 1.3.3.9783

slow18t
02-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Samsung GS3 here with the same problem.

No loading the swype keboard, rarely it will load and freeze the phone.

Samsung keyboard works fine. The backup and sync option is checked but greyed out(cannot be toggled).

Swype version 1.3.3.9783
Android version 4.1.1

VERY annoying.

mjolnir
02-18-2013, 6:11 PM
Having the same problem. Even though I've configured the phone to use Swype as the default, after a phone reboot or a few hours, Swype gets "unselected" as the default keyboard. This started when I upgraded to Swype 1.4.5.12537. An earlier 1.4 version (wasn't able to get the subversion number) worked fine.

I've tried to work around this by uninstalling the default Android keyboard, but sometimes the Swype keyboard still won't pop out.

Phone: Karbonn A21 aka Cherry Mobile Flame
Android Version: 4.0.4
Swype version: 1.4.5.12537
Carrier: SUN Cellular (Philippines)
ROM: Stock ROM
Rooted

julimcg
02-23-2013, 5:29 AM
Same problem here. Although I don't recall an update ever occurring.

WendyB
02-25-2013, 7:59 AM
Samsung Galaxy S3
Verizon
android sys: 4.1.1
swype: 1.3.3.983

Had worked fine for all of January when I first purchased this phone (Swype came with the phone). In February it began to not respond but would come back after awhile. On 2/23/13 it stopped working all together. I can choose it as the input method, but it will freeze my phone. I had it set as a default keyboard - but it simply won't work. No keyboard appears and my phone freezes. After awhile I can restart my phone. I'm SO disappointed. I HATE typing in a message or email. For now I am using TouchPal keyboard just so I don't have to type. It's 'ok' but it's not Swype. Please tell me how to remedy this. I want it back. Thanks.

bberryhill0
02-25-2013, 8:42 AM
Try the Swype beta. http://beta.swype.com

WendyB
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
My phone apparently blocks apps that aren't in the google play store. So .... is Swype going to be fixed any time soon? Does anyone actually know what the problem is?

bberryhill0
02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Settings> Security> check Unknown Sources.

WendyB
02-26-2013, 4:25 AM
Thank you. But does anyone know if the Swype that came with my phone will be fixed - or is it dead? What is the difference between what I have and that beta swype? Why would one work and one wouldn't? When I go in and make my phone allow unknown sources, it then tells me that my phone is now susceptible to 'bad stuff'. Is this true or is it just a disclaimer? Is it risky to allow this? (I'm not a technical person, so I apologize for seeming so ignorant.) I'd really like to know what happened with the Swype that came on the phone. Doesn't anyone from Swype read/answer these things?

plesyx
02-26-2013, 4:54 AM
Yes and no.
No because you would still have to download a malicious app, and then install it.
But technically yes, because when that setting disabled, only google-validated apps can be installed (but even in those apps there are malicious ones)

You can disable that setting after installing Swype, it only needs to be checked when you install the app, not when you use it.

Hope I was clear enough !

WendyB
02-26-2013, 5:11 AM
Thank you! Do you trust this beta swype? I mean, how do I know it's NOT malicious? Change I take I guess?

WendyB
02-26-2013, 5:19 AM
Ok, I did it. Ahhhhhh ... Swyping again. I do wish someone from Swype would say what's going on with the preinstalled program though. Thanks for all the help everyone!

WendyB
02-26-2013, 5:31 AM
Ok, I did it. Ahhhhhh ... Swyping again. I do wish someone from Swype would say what's going on with the preinstalled program though. Thanks for all the help everyone!

plesyx
02-26-2013, 5:59 AM
Thank you! Do you trust this beta swype? I mean, how do I know it's NOT malicious? Change I take I guess?

Well, for trusting Swype, you can see that this application exists since a long (Internet) time, has a serious website, some real persons you can talk to on this forum, and even comes pre-installed on your phone. So it should be trustworthy.
Regarding the beta tag, there's still the risk of bugs appearing, but I don't see how it could be less trustworthy than the previous version.
As long as you download it from the official website, you limit the risk you take (at least in my view).

WendyB
02-26-2013, 7:22 AM
Well, for trusting Swype, you can see that this application exists since a long (Internet) time, has a serious website, some real persons you can talk to on this forum, and even comes pre-installed on your phone. So it should be trustworthy.
Regarding the beta tag, there's still the risk of bugs appearing, but I don't see how it could be less trustworthy than the previous version.
As long as you download it from the official website, you limit the risk you take (at least in my view).

Thanks for your thoughts. I tend to agree. ;)

Scribe
03-01-2013, 2:42 PM
I chose a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 purely so I could use Swype as on my phone but though I've downloaded Beta 1.4.5 and set it as default, it doesn't pop up. I've read every forum page here about this and have done everything - emptied the cache and data, enabled Connect, uninstalled, reloaded, held the space bar down, disabled the Samsung kb, and sworn a lot. After a week Swype appeared, worked well for 3 days, then disappeared. If it's JB that's the problem, can't I download an older version of Swype? Swype is so superior to others that I don't want to go back.

Stock Tab 2 10.1, 4.1.1, beta 1.4.5

k1w1kyle
04-25-2013, 9:00 PM
I have recently gotten an issue where my Swype keyboard is completely unresponsive when bringing up for the first time after unlocking phone. I have found that if I swap between the default keyboard and Swype, it starts working again. Also, whenever I try and edit the settings, Swype crashes at the moment. My phone is not rooted, so I have not made any changes to the settings recently that would affect the keyboard.

If I could get any help with this, it would be greatly appreciated, because the phone is basically unusable at the moment.

mcarver2000
04-26-2013, 6:27 AM
Might try clearing cache for Swype in Apps Settings. If that doesn't work, try clearing data for the app. If you are not on the latest beta or the Play Store release, the latter may wipe out your personal dictionary.

OPTiK_
05-06-2013, 7:25 AM
I have recently gotten an issue where my Swype keyboard is completely unresponsive when bringing up for the first time after unlocking phone. I have found that if I swap between the default keyboard and Swype, it starts working again. Also, whenever I try and edit the settings, Swype crashes at the moment. My phone is not rooted, so I have not made any changes to the settings recently that would affect the keyboard.

If I could get any help with this, it would be greatly appreciated, because the phone is basically unusable at the moment.

I had this issue, which occurred after a reboot. Do you have developer options enabled? On reboot of my phone the "Force GPU rendering" setting was still enabled, but the "Disabled HW overlays" option was not. When I re-enabled "Disabled HW overlays" things went back to normal. The Force GPU rendering may not be playing nice with swype from the looks of it. But when both options are enabled its fine. Luckily the swype KB doesn't crash until after I login the first time.