PDA

View Full Version : Swype is wonderful, Swype is terrible

Jerry85032
08-31-2010, 6:59 PM
So I really like using Swype for many reasons, and yet, ultimately, it is currently very frustrating to use Swype, because I cannot trust it to take down what I wrote without requiring a lot of proofreading and correction.

And it's mostly over a lot of the stuff that has been discussed at these forums (without too much of a response from management.)

Stuff like the not easily editable dictionary. Too instead of to, random smileys instead of the key I want, wanting to delete or prioritize words from the dictionary, wanting to turn off word entry into the dictionary, confusion over small words.

You'll have to pry Swype from my cold dead fingers, but that doesn't mean it will be the last keyboard I try.

(And the lack of microphone!)

It would be nice to have a bit more frequent updates from management, and even a bit more frequent releases.

brian.resnik
08-31-2010, 7:25 PM
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. As to the more frequent responses, that's part of the reason we've launched these new forums. We know that our old system wasn't cutting it, and wasn't allowing us to make sure everyone saw all the information available, so we decided to make a change.

Many of the things you've touched on are either slated for future releases, or have already been fixed and are awaiting deployment (either to our beta users, or to everyone). For example, the microphone button is available on some devices that come pre-installed with Swype, such as the Motorola Droid X.

One of our biggest focuses right now is on language development. That said, better dictionary control and fixing some of the path collisions handling errors that people have found (too/to) are not too far down the list.

Also, remember that every beta version we release has a 100-day timeout from the day it was compiled on our build-server, so we'll have an update with some of the latest code changes out before the current version expires.

Hope that helps!

naratcliffe
09-01-2010, 7:13 AM
I have been telling everyone about Swype. All of my colleagues and friends are getting Android phones, and we share our experiences with apps, etc. So when I tell them about Swype and they are not able to get it, it's kind of frustrating.

Any idea when the open beta will start? I realize it's a process with the development, but I really think word-of-mouth marketing is your best tool right now (I've told upwards of 20 people), and the fact that they can't go and get it right away means the idea dies right there. Sure, they may come back to it, but I think the marketing buzz you'd generate from an open beta would be invaluable.

*edit*: I've been checking the website and there is no news as to the open beta or any further betas, let alone the release.

I'm a huge fan of this application, and it was deciding factor between a Blackberry and my Droid Incredible. I was very wary of the on-screen keyboard, but this makes tapping an on-screen keyboard completely obsolete.

I'm not sure what your pricing strategy will be for the final version, but I would easily pay $100 for this. That's how much I value the ability to Swype.

MrObvious
09-01-2010, 7:31 AM
I'm not sure but the accuracy from the version I downloaded today seems much better. I'm on version 1.56.30.7625.t100. Very nice. I tried dragging from T to O and go to not too.

mursepaolo
09-13-2010, 8:01 PM
Finally got to try this thing and I don't know. ShapeWriter was much more accurate and efficient before Swype forced them to close down. Swype seems slow and finnicky. Fortunately I still have SW installed and they both use about the same amount of memory. Can't believe I went through all that trouble to be disappointed.

brian.resnik
09-15-2010, 2:25 PM
For the record, Swype didn't force ShapeWriter to close down. Rather, ShapeWriter was acquired by Nuance, the company that now owns T9 and is developing T9-Trace.

Maris_
09-16-2010, 12:29 PM
For months I have been thinking Swype is Wonderful! Until this September update. Now I'm thinking more along the Swype is Terrible line. I'm not sure what happened with this update, but the accuracy is completely gone for me. It doesn't even come close to the words I try to swype most of the time. I am constantly correcting it so much so that it would have been far faster to just peck them out. I never had this problem with any of the other versions, so I can't believe it's just a "learning phase" it needs to go through. If it had been like this the first time I used it, I would have removed it instantly. I'm about ready to give it up as much as I thought I couldn't live without it before this last update. Something is seriously wrong with this version.

Akselmusic
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Agreed on this version being a big step backwards.

My accuracy is horrible suddenly. Also for some reason I don't have as many options as I had in my last version (some sort of 1.56 version I got mixed up with). Simple features like how long until it auto selects the first word. There may be more but I am not sure so that could be all I am missing there, but still why would even just that be gone? I honestly can't tell much of a difference with the word recognition being better. One that kills me still is urea and yea. Maybe that one is not so popular though and that is why it has been overlooked?

Oh well, looking into my phone I luckily still have to old version which I will be switching to now. So disappointed with this version, but it does sound like eventually it will be back up to par and even better! Until then though I have an old version!

Allyc1057
10-03-2010, 6:12 AM
Agree completely with above. I came here just to find out if people were having the same issue with the september update as me. Previous beta version had absolutely amazing accuracy, often picking up words even when you forgot how to spell them halfway through and had to wing it to the end! Iswore by it and recommended to all my android mates.

Guys, as much as I love swype,i dunno what's happened in the latest release. Recognition is TERRIBLE! I have to correct every for words or so. Especially around words like our when I want or, utah(?!) When I want yeah. Utah is especially annoying,i live in europe and can safely say i will NEVER need to text 'utah', I really need the ability to delete out disable this from swype.

Also there are some extremely irritating funnies around swype's custom dictionary - sometimes it thinks word s are added to my dictionary which I am certain I never added in the past, and sometimes when adding a word which swype hasn't recognized swype claims the word is already added and I need toremove them re-add before swpe picks it up...

I'm tapping so much these days I'm extremely close to going back to stock keyboard. Please fix this!!

Allyc1057
10-03-2010, 6:15 AM
Geez, I've just reread my reply -case in point!

Update, discussion of september issues already going on here:
http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1248-Swype-jas-become-garbage-with-new-update/page3

dmauro
10-23-2010, 7:26 PM
I'm having a lot of problems with Swype since the last update too. I used to be able to just breeze through message, but I realized it's taking me forever to write stuff now. It's also compounded with weird bugs that I've been encountering. Suddenly the "the word you typed was hidden by..." dialog pops up all the time WHICH SHOULD HAVE AN OPTION TO TURN OFF AND DOES NOT, and now it's even started popping up for names which I most certainly did not add myself, as if to prove that point, if I try to delete a name, so that I can change it to the word I wanted, it does nothing. So there's that annoyance, but now my Swype has stopped working saying something is conflicting with it. I tried uninstalling the programs I most recently installed, but Swype still doesn't work. When I draw lines, no words come out, but I can type just fine. If I uninstall or turn Swype off and back on, it works again for a while before I get that error again.

At this rate Swype is going to be awful when they finally release it. I would love to just have a non-expiring pre-September apk of Swype. I bet someone on the internet can help me out with that actually, so that's my next step.

:/