PDA

View Full Version : Allow words added to dictionary to have a predefined case

ZuberB
08-31-2010, 3:08 PM
When you enter words into the dictionary, if you enter them with something other than lower case, then the case should be remembered and used automatically when the word is brought up.

Peoples names would be the most common example. If I enter someones name with a capital first letter, I don't want to have to worry about changing the first letter to uppercase all the time.

It can always be made a configurable option and be changeable should it present a problem.

Zuber

spbrereton
09-01-2010, 10:07 AM
When you enter words into the dictionary, if you enter them with something other than lower case, then the case should be remembered and used automatically when the word is brought up.

Peoples names would be the most common example. If I enter someones name with a capital first letter, I don't want to have to worry about changing the first letter to uppercase all the time.

It can always be made a configurable option and be changeable should it present a problem.

Zuber

Even worst than names you enter is names you enter that need a defined case. MacDonalds and McNamaras get hugely irritated when the D or the N is not capitalised and there's no way to do that with a simple swype gesture. Also acronyms is a big bugbear, but at least there's a simple swype gesture to fix those..

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Did you know that you can use the "capitalization" gesture (tracing your path off the top of the keyboard) anywhere in a word to capitalize the last letter you entered in the word? So tracing "M-<off the top>-a-c-d-<off-the-top>-o-n-a-l-d" will produce MacDonald with proper caps.

MrObvious
09-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Swype's dictionary stores the letters no matter the case and usually defaults to all lower case. As Brian said, just do the capitalization swype trick and it should work.

Newend
09-03-2010, 6:59 PM
Swype's dictionary stores the letters no matter the case and usually defaults to all lower case. As Brian said, just do the capitalization swype trick and it should work.

I use the off the screen capitalization, but for words that are only proper nouns it would be nice if they auto capitalized.

cdm9002
09-13-2010, 2:28 PM
Agree with this. If they are names/words that are added to the dictionary with special cases (e.g McKetc) it would be much better if they were written out as per the dictionary.

spbrereton
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Did you know that you can use the "capitalization" gesture (tracing your path off the top of the keyboard) anywhere in a word to capitalize the last letter you entered in the word? So tracing "M-<off the top>-a-c-d-<off-the-top>-o-n-a-l-d" will produce MacDonald with proper caps.

Sweet tip! (Albeit another one missing from the tutorial) but still, would it be that hard? What's the reason for not doing it? It adds flicks and swypes that could be avoided. And that's bad.

Will Foster
01-18-2011, 8:36 AM
Sweet tip! (Albeit another one missing from the tutorial) but still, would it be that hard? What's the reason for not doing it? It adds flicks and swypes that could be avoided. And that's bad.

I totally learned this from a tutorial by Swype. Maybe not on the device, but on the web site? Not sure really where.

iploya
01-19-2011, 7:05 AM
The capitalization gesture is nice in theory, but it can be really tricky in practice, particularly with proper names like MacDonald. Success rate is probably <50%. For example, mAcDonald is the kind of error I have received, and I am not being completely sloppy about when to drag above the KB.

I second the request for a learned word to remember default caps.

belomeclone
01-20-2011, 8:52 PM
It's me again, here to lay the Smackdown on Swype theory.

1. Predefined Cases are, in theory, great. But in practice, it would lead to lazy typing and a lot of difficulty determining what is a predefined word and which isn't. Using the easy capitalization tip is for the best.

2. Swype does mess up with the capitalization because it loves to add words you Swype over instead of Stop over. As a result, especially from the bottom row, Swype can capitalize the second letter because, as you move to the top bar, it is pulling in letters. This is a major, glaring, stupid issue that Swype needs fixing.

FranBurstall
06-14-2011, 2:27 PM
The capitalization trick does not work for my signature (see below). It always comes out as '---fran'. Would be nice to have the capital F stored...

---Fran

brian.resnik
06-15-2011, 11:27 AM
You've resurrected a very old thread, Fran. Please create a new thread, as the issues described in this thread have been fixed in newer versions. Thanks!